What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

6 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Yeah, it was a pretty disastrous start and Thorne was clearly caught out for that opening goal, but he certainly grew into the game as it went on and showed glimpses of his undoubted qualities. Took some crunching tackles and didn’t seem any worse for them. If he gets back to something like, then he’s a superb addition in a deep, sitting position. It surprises me that FL doesn’t fancy him because on his day he’s a better bet than Ledley and Johnson for me. 

I felt Butterfield was decent enough but he didn’t do ‘enough’ to have me thinking he’d be any better than the likes of Mount or Bryson, so I understand why he’s on the list to leave. I still rate him, and I think at a club with less ambition and regular games he’d probably stand out at this level again. Some players just can’t hack it at bigger clubs. 

Martin looked the same as he always does. Frustrating half the time, sublime the other half. I think he’ll still get a club at this level but his career has stalled massively the last couple of years. 

Bizarre when I was sat watching that last night and thought back to Boxing Day a couple of years back and I think it was Fulham we beat? Not sure now. But those three were key players then, and we went top of the league. Football eh?

All 3 are very capable players at this level, but Butterfield should be the easiest to find a home for seeing as he has no injury baggage to deal with.

He's a two footed sweet footballer, who for whatever reason seems to have lost his way in recent times, but his history shows he can be very effective at this level.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Bizarre when I was sat watching that last night and thought back to Boxing Day a couple of years back and I think it was Fulham we beat? Not sure now. But those three were key players then, and we went top of the league. Football eh?

Yeah, Fulham, back when we thought Clement would be a good a manager and should be backed with signings in the upcoming january window...

43 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

All 3 are very capable players at this level, but Butterfield should be the easiest to find a home for seeing as he has no injury baggage to deal with.

He's a two footed sweet footballer, who for whatever reason seems to have lost his way in recent times, but his history shows he can be very effective at this level.

I hope you're right, cos last night for the U23s he was easily out shone by Sibley.

Tonight’s U23s squad should provide a massive insight into where FL is going with George. If he’s fit and doesn’t feature tonight then I’d like to think he’d be in the squad for tomorrow night. If he’s not and he doesn’t make the U23s tonight then he’s not in the managers plans ☹️ Really hope it’s the former as Ledley is not the answer and Tom looks like he’s off to Stoke so it’s Evans & Thorne as CDMs for me. Best 2 from 4 imo. 

1 hour ago, t'oldu said:

be a joy to see Thorne back and properly fit. Since Tom was not allowed to go a few weeks ago it seems something has changed...............fingers crossed.

Agreed bud. Quick question - what do you mean when you say Tom was 'not allowed to go a few weeks back'? Think I've missed something...

No sign of either Thorne or Butterfield in the 23s squad. Starts however for Anya and Martin. 

Do we reckon George and Jacob will return to the fold, or do we think both are about to seal loan deals away?

Boringly, maybe they just weren’t picked, won’t be in the squad tomorrow and won’t be leaving on loan. ?

3 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

No sign of either Thorne or Butterfield in the 23s squad. Starts however for Anya and Martin. 

Do we reckon George and Jacob will return to the fold, or do we think both are about to seal loan deals away?

Boringly, maybe they just weren’t picked, won’t be in the squad tomorrow and won’t be leaving on loan. ?

Butters and Thorne played in the last U23 didn't they? So I imagine they'd be involved again if they weren't on their way or being reinstated. 

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

Butters and Thorne played in the last U23 didn't they? So I imagine they'd be involved again if they weren't on their way or being reinstated. 

Max Bird starts, yet he was on the first team bench at Millwall. It points to the likelihood of Thorne or Butters returning to the fold, and I reckon the former is the one we need the most at present. Interesting.

5 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Max Bird starts, yet he was on the first team bench at Millwall. It points to the likelihood of Thorne or Butters returning to the fold, and I reckon the former is the one we need the most at present. Interesting.

Totally agree, although iid be interested if butters could bbe revived in a not rowett style. Oh how we laughed when I said he didn't llike rowetts style, but we got bored of it in the end.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Totally agree, although iid be interested if butters could bbe revived in a not rowett style. Oh how we laughed when I said he didn't llike rowetts style, but we got bored of it in the end.

He’d do no worse than Bryson has thus far. But I think that ship has sailed. 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It won't make sense if he is still no where near match fit.....

Played a full 90 minutes for the U23's last week and Craig Short said he finished the game strongly. He ought to be fit enough to play some part. The question is, what sort of form is he in? I'd love to see him given a chance at least. Failing that, let's get him out on loan. He needs games under his belt as badly as we need a fit and firing CDM.

Archived