What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

10 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Butterfield and Johnson have had more of a positive impact in the time they’ve been here than Thorne has. One spent a year away on loan too. 

Ive never known a player lauded so much for so little as I have George. 

Butterfield -  heat related hysteria .

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spoke to darren wassell about george yesterday, snd asked if injuries have done for him.

he felt george was physically fully recovered.

DW said george trained with the u23s and in his words " is in great physicl shape, and has lost all the extra weight".

he raved about GTs ability and form prior to the leg break.

He said that He was anticipating that george would go out on loan - as would others not currently in the first team picture. 

55 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Spoke to darren wassell about george yesterday, snd asked if injuries have done for him.

DW said george trained with the u23s and in his words " is in great physicl shape, and has lost all the extra weight".

He said that He was anticipating that george would go out on loan - as would others not currently in the first team picture. 

Thanks for the update. Was just going to ask if anything was said about him last night. ?

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Not to read too much into a conversation I wasn’t participating in, that suggests that George hasn’t fully recovered mentally. Which wouldn’t be surprising given the nature of the injuries and  their timing. 

Hopefully a good loan spell will do him wonders. 

20 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Not to read too much into a conversation I wasn’t participating in, that suggests that George hasn’t fully recovered mentally. Which wouldn’t be surprising given the nature of the injuries and  their timing. 

Hopefully a good loan spell will do him wonders. 

I asked Where he was mentally.

Dw said that george "keeps his cards close to his chest". I asked "is he happy?"  

The reply. "No player who's not in the team is going to be happy"

35 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I asked Where he was mentally.

Dw said that george "keeps his cards close to his chest". I asked "is he happy?"  

The reply. "No player who's not in the team is going to be happy"

Bless him, genuinely.

Throughout the last couple of years you can watch any interview with George and he just looked mentally drained. He'd say "yeah I'm feeling good being back with the lads" etc, but his body language would tell a different story.

It's clear he needs picking up some how and maybe a good loan spell will do that for him.

One of the questions asked at the Fan Forum was whether "the likes of Blackman, Martin, Thorne" would go out on loan

Pearce said he couldn't answer that officially but laughed and said "there is loan interest for some or all of the names you mention"

Sounds like Wassall confirmed the same to @RamNut in regard to Thorne specifically

4 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

One of the questions asked at the Fan Forum was whether "the likes of Blackman, Martin, Thorne" would go out on loan

Pearce said he couldn't answer that officially but laughed and said "there is loan interest for some or all of the names you mention"

Sounds like Wassall confirmed the same to @RamNut in regard to Thorne specifically

Not quite. He said that that was his expectation. Not that anything was already in motion.

Craig Shorts comments after last nights game make me feel happy and sad.

Happy because George is looking every inch on his way back, someone is going to snap him up on loan if he plays like this again.

Sad because the signing of Evans and Huddlestone being known to Frank makes me feel he’s not in in his plans; for which I really hope if Thorne goes out and does well, he’s wise enough to have a rethink.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-george-thorne-chris-martin-1894098.amp?__twitter_impression=true

So hope we don’t get tempted to realise funds here, in a few months time, we could have the best midfield player in the championship right under our noses.

If Thorne is fully recovered and is back to his best, he's one of, if not the best players we have. If him going on loan is somehow predetermined, no matter how well he performs for the U23s, that's not really something I'm comfortable with tbh. 

Play your best players, surely?

21 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

If Thorne is fully recovered and is back to his best, he's one of, if not the best players we have. If him going on loan is somehow predetermined, no matter how well he performs for the U23s, that's not really something I'm comfortable with tbh. 

Play your best players, surely?

Can't argue with that , as I said in another thread, a fit GT was what we were missing Saturday.

He did look strong, covered some good ground and picked a couple of good of good passes. He looked motivated and hungry. That's a great sign whether it be that he wants to prove himself here or, as is more likely, there were scouts from other clubs in the stand watching ahead of a loan deal. I suspect there were a couple of the Championship and loads from league 1.

Suspect he'll end up at Sunderland in the next few days. 

13 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Can't argue with that , as I said in another thread, a fit GT was what we were missing Saturday.

We were missing a bit more than that but I totally get your point and anymore games like Saturday and I foresee a few chanting his name.

My heart tells me this could be one of those situations where the solution is under your (well Franks) nose, my head says he’s not fully fit (yet), so maybe he’s so far out of the management thoughts he won’t see it!!

Really hope someone sticks some old videos with George at his best under Franks nose or Wassall puts a good word in, he’s  shaping up towards getting back to his best.

1 minute ago, Zag zig said:

We were missing a bit more than that but I totally get your point and anymore games like Saturday and I foresee a few chanting his name.

My heart tells me this could be one of those situations where the solution is under your (well Franks) nose, my head says he’s not fully fit (yet), so maybe he’s so far out of the management thoughts he won’t see it!!

Really hope someone sticks some old videos with George at his best under Franks nose or Wassall puts a good word in, he’s  shaping up towards getting back to his best.

I think 'back to his best' is jumping the gun. He looked decent against Blackburn U23's but he looked a long way from George Thorne that was the standout midfielder in the Championship. 

I think his problem now will be, assuming he does get back to his best, that he'd be difficult to build into your team when he is so unlucky with injuries. Not his fault. It just happens for some and they never fulfil their potential. Its not just at Derby. The only reason we got him in the first place was because he'd had a couple of bad injuries at WBA. Sometimes you just have to accept that maybe a change in circumstances brings different luck or a better run. As much as anything for him. I suspect another period in the treatment room would break anyone after what he's been through. 

There's no more reason to assume george is injury prone now than anyone else. He came through some heavy challenges unscathed.

personally i'd keep him.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

There's no more reason to assume george is injury prone now than anyone else. He came through some heavy challenges unscathed.

personally i'd keep him.

Plus his injuries are all different over the years. You'd be more concerned about a Jamie Ward who's injuries are always hamstring related. 

I like George Thorne. My only issue with him is that I don't think he took his fitness as seriously as he could have in the past. From all accounts that's clearly changed. 

It is hard to judge players like Thorne and Martin's fitness in U23 games the games do not have the same intensity had first team games.They can cruise through these fixtures using their experience to just pick up space and time.

However George looked has lean and trim if not more so than in his best days.He covered lots of ground tackled well and was fouled a few times,linked the play well and was the stand out performer over 90 minutes..

..Sibley looked good in the time he was on the pitch but over ninety it was George.

If he is closing in on fitness and form he is the standout DM in the division other side's know it and without a doubt so will Frank.

What the future holds we can but wait to see.

Archived