What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

Been watching our midfield for the best part of forty years now and at his best would put him in my top 10 .

Top 20 yes, top 10? 

Gemmill, carlin, rioch, daly, durban, gregory, williams, asanovic, eranio, carsley, kinkladze, idiakez, osman, barnes, bryson, hughes, thorne, huddlestone, 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Feel a bit sorry for Thorne. Lets not forget that when he signed West Brom a midtable premier league side had just given him a 3 year deal and were not at all pleased to be letting him go.  Been watching our midfield for the best part of forty years now and at his best would put him in my top 10 . He also had a pretty decent 15-16 season , people forget how peed off they were when Wassall played him in that meaningless Ipswich match and it did cost us a Wembley trip that year. With Thorne we would have had far too much for Hull.  Alas that double leg break with it's complications be that physical or mental appears to have finished him at this level.  I would be delighted if not as he could still be far and away our best midfielder .  Either way I would never put him in the bracket of the Butterfields and Blackmans if he'd stayed fit we wouldn't be in this league.

Butterfield and Johnson have had more of a positive impact in the time they’ve been here than Thorne has. One spent a year away on loan too. 

Ive never known a player lauded so much for so little as I have George. 

10 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Butterfield and Johnson have had more of a positive impact in the time they’ve been here than Thorne has. One spent a year away on loan too. 

Well they've played more games.... Really not sure what your definition of 'impact' is but neither Butters nor Johnson has broken a leg or ruptured an ACL which also helps.

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

Top 20 yes, top 10? 

Gemmill, carlin, rioch, daly, durban, gregory, williams, asanovic, eranio, carsley, kinkladze, idiakez, osman, barnes, bryson, hughes, thorne, huddlestone, 

Ah the passage of time. A couple of those don't make it past the 40-year cut off point. And another couple that did were well past their best by then.

3 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Thorne helped catapult us into 3rd. We were beginning to lose momentum until he joined, and we went from looking pretty good to unbeatable. Some of our home performances in the run in embarrassed some decent Championship teams.

We were thumped 4-1 by Leicester away without a CDM and that highlighted what we were missing.

Saying Butterfield and Johnson have achieved more is ridiculous. Thorne was a vital cog in a well-oiled machine that got us to Wembley. I was there - that’s something tangible!

Johnson and Butterfield have never been so important to us in their time here, and during that time, we haven’t gone to Wembley, finished 3rd or genuinely performed like we could compete with the best in the league over a sustained period of time.

Really sad to read this thread about George Thorne and his continuing injury problems.  He was terrific when Posh had him on loan a few seasons ago, and we were all gutted when he got called back to West Brom after only 7 (I think) games.  One of the best midfielders I've ever seen in a Posh shirt.    

The love-in for Thorne is pretty basic psychology. 

He was one of (if not the) poster boy for our explosion out of dreary Clough-ball into McClaren's promotion contenders.

The general consensus was that we were competing largely because of Thorne, culminating in the sheer excitement at the concept of signing him despite missing out in the playoffs.

I think, being a realist, Thorne likely has little future at Derby - it's possible he has little future at this level. The injuries have clearly done a number on him in general.

But he is the face that many people see when they look back at when we finally started competing again, and just because of that everyone is going to be desperate for him to find his form once more.

I'm really sorry to say it, and I hope George me leaves with egg all over my face for saying so, but he's a shadow of the player he once was.

At his best he was magnificant, and injury free would have been one of the greats. We would have gone up if he hadn't got that preseason injury.

Having had an ACL injury and a bad broken leg myself I know how hard he's had to work to get back to where he is now, and how things aren't quite the same after that sort injury regardless of how much work you put in.

Good luck and stay fit George, but I don't think you'll be at Derby next season.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

He was one of (if not the) poster boy for our explosion out of dreary Clough-ball into McClaren's promotion contenders.

The general consensus was that we were competing largely because of Thorne, culminating in the sheer excitement at the concept of signing him despite missing out in the playoffs.

It's funny how with time myths become fact.

GT made his first start in the 37th game that season, of the 9 games he played I think we won 5, lost 3 and drew 1 (happy to be corrected on this if wrong).

Although obviously a factor, that season is not why I like George Thorne so much, its just because he was/is such a naturally talented footballer. 

His passing and the way he seemed to glide across the pitch were great to watch and the sort of thing that I pay to watch. 

44 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's funny how with time myths become fact.

GT made his first start in the 37th game that season, of the 9 games he played I think we won 5, lost 3 and drew 1 (happy to be corrected on this if wrong).

Although obviously a factor, that season is not why I like George Thorne so much, its just because he was/is such a naturally talented footballer. 

His passing and the way he seemed to glide across the pitch were great to watch and the sort of thing that I pay to watch. 

We won 7, lost 2, and drew 1.

His first start was the 5-0 win over Forest.

He then bossed both legs against Brighton in the play-offs.

Just because he didn't play much doesn't mean he wasn't the poster boy of that season by the end of it.

Don't take any wrong meaning from my post, I think Thorne was a fabulous football player and I thoroughly love the guy. I was just explaining why so many are willing to give him all the time in the world to re-find his feet, when in similar circumstances with players of a similar quality, most would have moved on.

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I think, being a realist, Thorne likely has little future at Derby - it's possible he has little future at this level. The injuries have clearly done a number on him in general.

But he is the face that many people see when they look back at when we finally started competing again, and just because of that everyone is going to be desperate for him to find his form once more.

I’m not sure this is necessarily the case. Thorne only played twelve games that season and three the season after.

Eustace and Khalifa Cisse were fine in that role, we were playing lovely football and scoring goals. 

Then George comes in and we look a class above. He’s running the show week-in-week out and we’re smashing everyone.

He did everything Eustace did and most of what Hughes did allowing us to play another goal scoring runner in Jeff rather than a linker in Hughes. He’s winning the ball back more than Eust did, he spraying passes, feeding the six players ahead of him, backing-up play and controlling games. 

People pine for him because his first fourteen games for the club were the best run of performances many of us have seen at this level.

George Thorne, at his best, was a rare breed too. It's not often you can find a tall holding midfielder who can tackle, but also play as a deep-lying playmaker. Almost unique at Championship level.

I personally can't remember another player like him at Derby.

I remember the likes of Lee Carsley and Christian Dailly who could also perform exceptionally well at holding midfield, but neither were in the same mould as Thorne. He was our Busquets.

Unfortunately, he'll never be that same player again. 

35 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Excuse my ignorance, but could someone explain the significance of this screenshot?

Only just changed today as it was still last seasons picture despite being around the club with everyone else..

Either he's been camera shy or a move away broke down?

Archived