What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The majority would be buzzing to see Thorne back into the fold. I just hope it's not a false dawn. I put in the Ipswich thread that it's an absolute must that Evans or Thorne play in that DM role. I don't see what we have to lose in all honesty, but I'm not the manager.

15 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The majority would be buzzing to see Thorne back into the fold. I just hope it's not a false dawn. I put in the Ipswich thread that it's an absolute must that Evans or Thorne play in that DM role. I don't see what we have to lose in all honesty, but I'm not the manager.

I don't think Bryson & Johnson deserve to stay in the team.

11 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Sadly as much as I’d like him to be I can’t see how GT is our answer to the midfield conundrum. Other than hopefully Evans we are going to be short. 

All depends on whether the renewed optimism (well, mine at least!) is well placed or not.  If it is, he is absolutely the man with the answers.  Once upon a time, he could tackle and play the defence-splitter from deep as well as pop up to wade in with his share of goals, unlike Tom H who simply can't tackle and has scored 1 goal.  Be interesting to see what their respective goals/tackles/passes : minutes on pitch ratios are.  Don't get me wrong, I love watching Tom on the ball, but feel we are exposed when we don't have it in a way I didn't used to when GT was on song. 

3 minutes ago, RedSox said:

All depends on whether the renewed optimism (well, mine at least!) is well placed or not.  If it is, he is absolutely the man with the answers.  Once upon a time, he could tackle and play the defence-splitter from deep as well as pop up to wade in with his share of goals, unlike Tom H who simply can't tackle and has scored 1 goal.  Be interesting to see what their respective goals/tackles/passes : minutes on pitch ratios are.  Don't get me wrong, I love watching Tom on the ball, but feel we are exposed when we don't have it in a way I didn't used to when GT was on song. 

He did slowly played himself back after the first lengthy layoff under Clement and I remember a great 30 yard volley v Huddersfield (I think?). Then the awful ankle break and since then he’s never looked the same. Last season in the few games he played he looked half the player and well off the pace. What’s sad is like Martin 3 years both were the envy of most championship team and both are still under 30. 

33 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Ahem.... Last season Tom not only completed the most passes but also topped the charts for tackles made. 

20 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Absolute Rolls Royce of a player. Just some very important faulty parts though

Rolls Royce of a player, built on Alfa Romeo 80's parts, fuelled by Gregg's ………………. other sausage rolls are available.

I really hope he gets back to his best, truly I do, but it's just soo long since he was anywhere near his best, I wonder if he has the inclination to get there.

16 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Really? That stat amazes me.

Tom is way more effective in the CDM role than folk give him credit for. There's more to his armoury than just his passing game for sure. The lad is smart and reads the game well which allows him to make tackles he probably has a right to. He also provides an outlet for our CBs and his passing range is known to all and sundry. I hate the him versus George thing because assuming both were at their best, they could both play and our attacking players would be having a bloody field day whilst Tricky and Curtis could pull up armchairs and read the papers.                                                                       DISCLAIMER - the preceding statement may or may not contain the kind of hyperbole that really upsets some members of the forum. Reader discretion is advised

4 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Tom is way more effective in the CDM role than folk give him credit for. There's more to his armoury than just is passing game for sure. The lad is smart and reads the game well which allows him to make tackles he probably has no right to. He also provides an outlet for our CBs and his passing range is known to all and sundry. I hate the him versus George thing because assuming both were at their best, they could both play and our attacking players would be having a bloody field day whilst Tricky and Curtis could pull up armchairs and read the papers.                                                                       DISCLAIMER - the preceding statement may or may not contain the kind of hyperbole that really upsets some members of the forum. Reader discretion is advised

I don’t doubt the stat at all. I have posted under the Hudds transfer news thread that Hudds, GT (or Evans) and Mount may be an interesting 3.  Bryson, Johnson and Ledley haven’t really cemented place have they?

17 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Rolls Royce of a player, built on Alfa Romeo 80's parts, fuelled by Gregg's ………………. other sausage rolls are available.

I really hope he gets back to his best, truly I do, but it's just soo long since he was anywhere near his best, I wonder if he has the inclination to get there.

Why have you (86 points) reacted with an angry emoji?

Do you have an 80's Alfa Romeo?

2 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

I don’t doubt the stat at all. I have posted under the Hudds transfer news thread that Hudds, GT (or Evans) and Mount may be an interesting 3.  Bryson, Johnson and Ledley haven’t really cemented place have they?

No I got that - I was referring to other posters really as the whole, 'Tom can't tackle' thing is a pretty common narrative on here. As for the incumbents, I think to a degree they are victims of circumstance. Joe looked fine when just sitting in front of the back 4 and doing the simple stuff exceptionally well pre-season, but in a more fluid midfield he's not been great. Has he been asked to rotate though or is he just getting hopelessly out of position? - I dunno myself. Neither Bryso nor Bradders are playing in their preferred roles and Craig especially has been like a fish out of water in the CDM role. It's just not what his game is about - that said, I'm unconvinced that he has more than a supporting role to play wherever he's put. Bradders gets load of stick but is nowhere near as bad as folk say. I'll get loads of flak for saying as much but there you go! He needs to be played further up the pitch and be the fella arriving late in and around the box. That seemed to suit him at Norwich. Like Bryso though, will he have a role when all are fit? I'm not sure. I think a slot on the bench might be the best he can hope for.

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

No I got that - I was referring to other posters really as the whole, 'Tom can't tackle' thing is a pretty common narrative on here. As for the incumbents, I think to a degree they are victims of circumstance. Joe looked fine when just sitting in front of the back 4 and doing the simple stuff exceptionally well pre-season, but in a more fluid midfield he's not been great. Has he been asked to rotate though or is he just getting hopelessly out of position? - I dunno myself. Neither Bryso nor Bradders are playing in their preferred roles and Craig especially has been like a fish out of water in the CDM role. It's just not what his game is about - that said, I'm unconvinced that he has more than a supporting role to play wherever he's put. Bradders gets load of stick but is nowhere near as bad as folk say. I'll get loads of flak for saying as much but there you go! He needs to be played further up the pitch and be the fella arriving late in and around the box. That seemed to suit him at Norwich. Like Bryso though, will he have a role when all are fit? I'm not sure. I think a slot on the bench might be the best he can hope for.

Hudders certainly can tackle...he just seems soooo ponderous in his movements.

However....that can be decieving,it's not all about how fast you can run....having some quality decision making and an eye for the right pass is more important.

Archived