v Reading (A) Match Thread

rynny

3 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Look at Toms reaction. He was about to pull his shirt off then just about managed to hold back. Don’t think he’d been booked? Otherwise he’d have been walking. Bless him, go get em Tom so pleased for him. Think he had the biggest smile at final whistle ?

If Frank does nothing else this season apart from teaching players not to take their shirt off and get a yellow, I'll be more than happy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Great win.

Nervy first half when at least we were trying to play football, it just wasn't working as the defence were too isolated when on the ball. Nothing really clicked and we were trying to be clever at times. Reading looked really up for it, like a proper underdog giving it a right good go. No quality going forward though.

Much better 2nd half when things started to come together. Great character to come back after the disappointment of conceeding and what a way to get out first win at the end.

Thought we played like the home team, especially 2nd half with all that possession.

Some hilarious posts on here during first half and at the break. Love reading them back when you know the result. Were the massively negative posters ones who only come on here to do that like @cymru or normal people who had a few beers and saw their dreams of 10-0 going up in smoke?

4-5 Derby fans in bar watching game and great to see lots of outdoor screens everywhere showing the Rams.

Terrific post ariotofmyown spot on?

@ariotofmyown

There are some massively negative posters agreed....but then again others who with the hindsight of 3 points are maybe revising their opinion of the game?.

First half was pretty awful. No composure, over-ran at times, passing with no aim, total lack of cutting edge and a defence determined to commit suicide. PC gave other teams a blueprint for how to play us.

2nd half was more 'even'. By the end we had more of a threat and Bennett took the game to Reading. Unbelievable goal. One I won't forget for many a year. 

Lots to think about for the coming week. Not sure Nugent is good enough anymore. Keogh had the worst half I have ever seen him have. 

Actually think it was perfect reality check but with the 3 points to give us confidence too. 

God I have missed it!!!

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

@ariotofmyown

There are some massively negative posters agreed....but then again others who with the hindsight of 3 points are maybe revising their opinion of the game?.

Fair point, but in this instance, I felt the same during the match. Firsf half was poor, but we were trying to do the right things, just didn't do them very well. Plus they pressed well, even if it did knacker them out.

Some of the over-the-top negative posts seemed to have zero understanding that we were 30 mins into the first game of the season!

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Fair point, but in this instance, I felt the same during the match. Firsf half was poor, but we were trying to do the right things, just didn't do them very well. Plus they pressed well, even if it did knacker them out.

Some of the over-the-top negative posts seemed to have zero understanding that we were 30 mins into the first game of the season!

Fair enough....you could see better than me then, cos I just thought we were bloody awful.

I wasn't worried as agreed it was first 30mins of the season. Just a stark contrast to preseason.

Excited for next week already.

2 minutes ago, Ramathorn said:

Summary of what Benty said about Clement, for those asking (paraphrasing based on recollection):

- Sacking perhaps wasn’t a surprise to the players. The philosophy and style he brought to the team at the start was being thrown out because results weren’t right, training and match days had changed, players expected him to “crumble”.

- He avoided confrontation; certain players would go speak to him about not being in the team and wouldn’t really get an answer.

——

Not sure how much of this is Benty bitterness and how much is the real reason, but it doesn’t sound like something that would have to have been kept so quiet.

Bent seems a pretty nice, decent character too so don't think he would make things up. Interesting context to when evil Mel dared to go into dressing room and give the players a dressing down. Sounds like it was a final attempt to help make things work for PC.

9 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Fair enough....you could see better than me then, cos I just thought we were bloody awful.

I wasn't worried as agreed it was first 30mins of the season. Just a stark contrast to preseason.

Excited for next week already.

We were poor at trying to the correct things. Much better than been poor trying to do the wrong things. Remember those early games under Pearson!

Id like to see us start with Lawrence Mason B Jozefoon  against Leeds as although nugent try his best bennet's pace makes him more effective on the counter, and it a bout time bennet gets a chance to prove himself. I d also like to see jozefoon start over Wilson as Wilson always cuts in on his left and provides hardly any crosses, so if he doesn't score he doesn't contribute as much  as jozefoon who is a constant menace with his pace and his ability to put crosses in. Wilson did make a few good tackles so he may be able to  play as an attacking cm option.

I went to the game last night. The first half was pretty dire. Keogh made a season's worth of errors in the first half and probably missed Huddlestone to take the ball off him. Ledley was anonymous and was to blame for their goal as he fell over while tracking his man back. Wilson was pretty poor and the 3 man formation upfront failed to expose the space down the flanks in the first half.

Having said that Frank changed things at half time and Derby were more positive in the second half. Bennett made a difference and we put the ball in the net 3 times! Frank is honest enough to admit the first half was poor and at least with 3 points in the bag can approach next weeks training positively.

Leeds won't lose any sleep over this performance but a win is a win.

32 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

I went to the game last night. The first half was pretty dire. Keogh made a season's worth of errors in the first half and probably missed Huddlestone to take the ball off him. Ledley was anonymous and was to blame for their goal as he fell over while tracking his man back. Wilson was pretty poor and the 3 man formation upfront failed to expose the space down the flanks in the first half.

Having said that Frank changed things at half time and Derby were more positive in the second half. Bennett made a difference and we put the ball in the net 3 times! Frank is honest enough to admit the first half was poor and at least with 3 points in the bag can approach next weeks training positively.

Leeds won't lose any sleep over this performance but a win is a win.

It’s intresting how peoples views differ, for me Bennett started brightly but I thought McShane out thought him and until the cross I didnt see much from him (excellent cross)

I thought Reading were clever they reduced the width of the pitch to leave less space for Wilson and Lawrence (Lawrence played well) Wilson isn’t very good with his positioning, Bryson (excellent welcome back) kept barking orders to him. We looked dangerous when we got the ball forward, but especially in the first half we didn’t we kept passing the ball to and fro in front of Reading to no effect. 

So for me the problems positions were up front and the holding midfielder (I still think Thorne could have a role in this side with his passing) Nugent had the guile but no pace, Bennett had pace but no guile 

I would split MoM between Bryson, Lawrence and Mount (he is going to be so good for us this season)

we will improve as we did in the second half.

note on Reading - they were better than I thought they would be, better than last year.

note on the away support - keep bouncing you were excellent- I liked the Frank the Ram lets bounce moment the end.

I will be smiling on Reading station on Monday morning when I’m off to work...well done boys (team and fans) and well done Frank (he was trying to head and kick the ball from the dug out ...he is a Ram)

Well the first half last night was pretty poo but the feeling when Tom’s header flew in .... Wow!!! Not too concerned about the first 90 odd minutes though as some of us are born winners whilst the rest of us are mere mortals and our manager fits firmly into the former category. First ever competitive game in charge, long way to go and am sure he will get it right. A winner with the last kick\header of the game was no fluke it happens for ‘the winners’ in this world not the also rans and whilst ever he’s the manager of DCFC I’m more than happy to hang onto his coat tails. Get on board the Frankwagon boys & girls and enjoy the ride!!! COYR ?

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Great win.

Nervy first half when at least we were trying to play football, it just wasn't working as the defence were too isolated when on the ball. Nothing really clicked and we were trying to be clever at times. Reading looked really up for it, like a proper underdog giving it a right good go. No quality going forward though.

Much better 2nd half when things started to come together. Great character to come back after the disappointment of conceeding and what a way to get out first win at the end.

Thought we played like the home team, especially 2nd half with all that possession.

Some hilarious posts on here during first half and at the break. Love reading them back when you know the result. Were the massively negative posters ones who only come on here to do that like @cymru or normal people who had a few beers and saw their dreams of 10-0 going up in smoke?

4-5 Derby fans in bar watching game and great to see lots of outdoor screens everywhere showing the Rams.

No hiding the fact that the first half was dreadful, didn’t hear anyone (players and manager) disagree with that.

2nd half much better but the way we kept pushing forward in the 94th minute impressed me most. In the end a great goal won it, not a lucky one. Can now sit back and enjoy the other games this weekend.?

1st half we looked very nervous which is understandable givin that it is franks first game as a manager and there were so much spotlight on us last night with us being on tele aswell! And I think all that rubbed off on the players! Second half was a lot better as we grew into the game and I thought Bryson and Mount were excellent!! 

Bring on the dirty Leeds!!!

6 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Well the first half last night was pretty poo but the feeling when Tom’s header flew in .... Wow!!! Not too concerned about the first 90 odd minutes though as some of us are born winners whilst the rest of us are mere mortals and our manager fits firmly into the former category. First ever competitive game in charge, long way to go and am sure he will get it right. A winner with the last kick\header of the game was no fluke it happens for ‘the winners’ in this world not the also rans and whilst ever he’s the manager of DCFC I’m more than happy to hang onto his coat tails. Get on board the Frankwagon boys & girls and enjoy the ride!!! COYR ?

Was a Sir Alex trait wasnt it. Old "Fergie time" as it became known. 

Quite surprised at the amount of high praise for Bryson. Thought he was one of the main culprits when it came to constantly slowing the play down and ultimately passing the ball backwards. Lawrence, Ledley and Wisdom all guilty of this too. 

Some of our players have some bad habits. But it’s early doors. I think we’re going in the right direction and that’s what you want after the first game.

Very, very impressed by Mount too. Unlike Bryson, he turned to face the opposition goal each time he got the ball and was much more forward-thinking, even if his passes didn’t always come off. Wilson just looked a bit rusty and looked like he was trying to do too much. I don’t mind that. I want to see Derby players trying to impress us fans. 

Most of all though this game highlighted just how much we needed that signing of Marriott. Nugent just doesn’t offer enough anymore; didn’t last season either for the most part. Bennett looked likely but we need a proper goalscorer if we’re going to challenge. 

terrible performance for the first half and tbh even the second half wasnt filling me with confidence. i think the team isnt settled with all of the new players coming in and with potentially Vydra, Martin et cetera coming back to the first team squad Frank and Jody will have a lot of decisions to make. Wouldn't be surprised if we see 3/4 changes next weekend.

Obvious areas for improvement- centre halfs - they are not beckenbauer and never will be but they are being asked to pass the ball around which is not easy for them but they are needed for the other type of football that is coming our way when we play different teams, it is also the case with Wisdom at right back and lowe showed that his strength is not heading the ball ( personally I think Forsyth would have stopped that header going in at goal 

midfield- we were crying out for Huddlestone to control the ball under pressure and pass it properly over ledley 

forward - nugent just lacks pace and he can’t improve with that - his starting place won’t last to long 

altogether a very nervous start by derby but late on we were definitely fitter than Reading and we made it count in an unexpected way - a late winner in 90 mins plus which was very rare in the recent times 

Archived