v Reading (A) Match Thread

rynny

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else notice Nuge congratulating Bennett after the final whistle? He looked genuinely chuffed for the lad. I can think of a fair few players that'd be less than pleased about the player that they'd been subbed for having such an impact.

I don't think we will play worse than that all season. So it bodes well that we were still able to win the game.

And what a glorious win it was - we showed the grit, determination and character of a team that should be in the promotion mix yet again.

Reading can feel aggrieved to have lost that game. They were the better side for the majority of the game, while we just seemed flat, disjointed and overwhelmed by the pressure to perform.

There'll be plenty to dissect over the coming days after we've got our breath back. But let's just enjoy a perfect start to the season. ?

4 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Anyone else notice Nuge congratulating Bennett after the final whistle? He looked genuinely chuffed for the lad. I can think of a fair few players that'd be less than pleased about the player that they'd been subbed for having such an impact.

Nuge honestly seems like a great person to have around. He doesn't seem like the type to complain, he gives 100% every game and is regularly seen with an arm around Mount or Wilson encouraging them and keeping their head up. 

Only just got back (Cheers Highways England for doing all your roadworks at the same time) but holy poo what a game.

Yes, we didn't play brilliant first half but we grew into the game and their goal came against the run of play. Then we all thought this would end as a draw but jeez what a header from Tommy and the scenes in the away end - what an electric atmosphere.

I think the thing I loved the most was the player's reaction to that goal - especially Bryso and Tommy, you can see what it means to them and it looks like these lads bleed black & white the same way we all do.

Whatever happens this season, I want a passionate Derby team that plays their hearts out and we can be proud of - and god did we get that tonight.

Lovely Stuff 

3 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

Just noticed curtis davis hugging and picking up the derby fan that jumped the barrier. legendary stuff.

I think he's discretely grabbing him and shoving him back.

6 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

just laughing at this video with tears in my eyes

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/08/last-second-winner-was-an-incredible-feeling

doesn't sound like someone thinking of sending mason bennett on loan

Masons going nowhere

And did you here a little sentence in there   - which I have not heard from a Derby Manager for a long time

Shoot from the edge of the box!! he encouraging that (but don't encourage Johnson to do that  on the telly or ever again)

Thats what Rioch and George and FL did....bang them in from outside the box - yippee

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

A gif for your viewing pleasure...

15333434133251277.gif

If you’re going to score a goal that good do it in front of your travelling army. Tingle down the spine job from me. THAT cross just gets better and better, before I even study that header in depth ?

Brilliant from Derby,despite looking nervous and struggling first half they stuck at it and tried to play football.

What a thing of beauty to win it.

I’m sure I read last year how poo Tom Lawrence is??

The passion from our bench topped off by Clement’s sour mardy face...brilliant.

I wonder if PC sat down for a post match drink with Benty(say it how it is lad).

Sith Happens

I thought it was ok.

Reading started brightly but faded. We did 'ok' without being great. Its the first game of the season, takes time, especially with a new management teams and new players (count bryson as new too considering its a year since he played for us)

Last year threads where moaning because we were 'lucky' to win as the other team had more possession, yet yesterday we are lucky to win despite having more possession? What does this prove.,..nothing really, other than possession isnt what wins a game its goals and taking your chances and we did that. A draw would have been a fair result but you take your wins, and maybe having players like mason bennett to come on and run at people with his energy against tired legs is a great asset to have.

Bit sad to see already two independent threads starting moaning about keogh, didnt see one started moaning about davies when he gave the ball away to one of their players, luckily got it back then kicked it straight out of play, or one about lawrence when his attempt on goal was more likely to trouble the 4th official than the reading keeper, or one about wisdom when he looked like he was running backwards against the pace of barrow.

Its great to get a opening day win in any fashion, i have seen us play so much worse and still win, even in the days of mclaren mk1 (boro at home!!)

Up the rams.

Sith Happens
Just now, Dimmu said:

Jeez! 96 pages!?

Can someone do a quick summary? Of the game and why not of this thread too.

Ok match, no great, draw would have been fair.

Thread, we re going to wup them - we are doomed - i'll take a draw - we are blooming fantastic.

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

A gif for your viewing pleasure...

15333434133251277.gif

Look at Toms reaction. He was about to pull his shirt off then just about managed to hold back. Don’t think he’d been booked? Otherwise he’d have been walking. Bless him, go get em Tom so pleased for him. Think he had the biggest smile at final whistle ?

Great win.

Nervy first half when at least we were trying to play football, it just wasn't working as the defence were too isolated when on the ball. Nothing really clicked and we were trying to be clever at times. Reading looked really up for it, like a proper underdog giving it a right good go. No quality going forward though.

Much better 2nd half when things started to come together. Great character to come back after the disappointment of conceeding and what a way to get out first win at the end.

Thought we played like the home team, especially 2nd half with all that possession.

Some hilarious posts on here during first half and at the break. Love reading them back when you know the result. Were the massively negative posters ones who only come on here to do that like @cymru or normal people who had a few beers and saw their dreams of 10-0 going up in smoke?

4-5 Derby fans in bar watching game and great to see lots of outdoor screens everywhere showing the Rams.

Archived