v Reading (A) Match Thread

rynny

PistoldPete2
25 minutes ago, Viper2 said:

2nd Goal masked the inept and quite worrying performance. Better teams would've trounced us. 

Not convinced about the Lampard effect yet. 

Well I think keeping Lawrence on after a bit of mare in the first half and bringing Bennett on who gave us a worldy of a cross ... Can't ask for more from frankie .

but team looked disjointed, Keogh looked lost without hud as an outlet. Definitely a work in progress and we need more from our midfielders than we saw today.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Good

better second half. Couldn’t be much worse. I sensed the nerves were left on the pitch at HT. Still not a great performance but it wasn’t so full of idiotic errors that could be nerves. Mount was good throughout and we have to get him on the ball more. Reading scored just as we’d started to mean business and that made our growing into the game more difficult after we’d already given Reading an encouraging first half. Keogh got better. Davies got better. 

The Bad

Harry Wilson and Tom Lawrence. Trying too much here and too much there. I thought Bryson was slightly clumsy. Lowe looked nervous all night and Ledley a bit leggy somehow. I thought Wilson and Lawrence were selfish and we don’t really need them to hog the headlines. Lawrence won the day anyway and it was with a header of all things. But at times it felt like they were trying to create a YouTube highlights reel. That’s not at all how Lawrence played pre season. Less is more!

The Ugly

Andre Wisdom. About as ambitious on the ball as Jason Shackell without the punts. Receive, stop, look around. Go backwards/kick at nearest player. Couldn’t even take throws quick as players made space. It was Cyrus without the dribbling and I think part of the reason Wilson didn’t shine was because nothing came from Wisdom. His defending was poor. Relies so much on being physical that I’m sure he doesn’t even spare a thought for the ball at times. I think twice he showed some ambition and twice it worked well for him. If he’s going to keep killing the play like that then he must be replaced or moved from RB. So negative and draining. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Lowe is terrible, you’re right to point this out. It’s the derby way, build the youth up, insist they’re played, then tear them down when they’re not the next messi. 

I've never built him up, insisted he played or torn him down. I don't think he's terrible. I thought they were both poor first half, admittedly against two good wingers. We're being linked because it's a weak area. 

Absolutely terrific.

changed it at half time to eliminate the fannying around. Got the ball to the players who could affect the game. 

But.......

what a wonderful winning goal.

the negative boring managers would have put another defender on, taken a point. Mason bennett would have been instructed to take the ball into the corner. But the new superstrength mason bennett has the power to turn and deliver a superb cross with pace.

its the power of the cross and a great connection by TL that results in a terrific goal.

thats why people go to watch football.

good possession. Two teams delivered a good game. No holding at corners which was refreshing.

fantastic!

man of the match......mason bennett for that cross.

Good win. 1st half deserved to be behind but weren’t. 2nd half conceded against run of play but definitely the better team against a side set up to stop us.

We weren’t great at any point but the new guys have learned a hard lesson into the competitiveness of the championship and will only improve. 

Good to see a change in tactics at half time in pulling the full backs  back a bit and it made the difference. 

Great start....

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

If you don't shoot you don't score.

Just for the record... I made this comment immediately after Mount's goal. Which Frank repeated in his interview in reference to Mounts goal. 

Furthermore, earlier this week I suggested that Mason Bennett should start this game and my suggestion was met with ridicule by many members of this forum.

If you want to know who the real ITK power at Derby County is - here I am. 12 bottles of estrella in... and frigging buzzing!

COYR

Soooooooo disappointed!

OK, so I predicted the right score as 1-2 but.

I said Lawrence would score first for the Rams, whereas he assisted with the winner scored in the last ten seconds of added time.

Actually I hope I'm just as unsuccessful for the next 45 games.

What a game!

What a finish!

Well played  DCFC.

And the nearly 1700 travelling Rams Fans on a Friday night!

Been at the cricket today but managed to watch the game in a couple of pubs. Showed exactly why pre-season means nothing. Thought we were really poor especially first half - as someone said just like a Clement team! 

But then I found myself going absolutely mental with 5 derby fans I’d never met before when Lawrence’s bullet header hit the corner of the net! Only football can do this!

Showed why we could be a force and could be vulnerable tonight all in one game. But we’re trying to play the right way, just don’t want the sideways and backwards in the first half again if possible!

9 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

What a ducking day.

Had too much to drink last night, woke up hanging horribly this morning. Soldiered on and sunk pints of Strongbow’s finest at Lord Burton’s, the Alexander and the Merlin in that order. The coach then proceeded to break down 10 minutes from the ground, but thankfully another coach doubled back and picked us up to see the mighty Rams go top of the league.

That first half performance was one of the shittest I’ve ever seen from a Derby team - you would have thought we were the team managed by Clement. The half-time concourse service was also a joke, and I was left as angry as B4 after Nick Blackman misses a chance when I returned for the second half having had neither a pie nor a pint. I ended up going down to get a chicken and balti pie ten minutes into the second half, and I happened to miss the goal we conceded. This is the end of the woes, so brace yourself for a drunken match report of joyous proportions.

We stepped up in the second half to meet the challenge we had posed for ourselves in the first. It wasn’t as pretty as we had perhaps hoped but we certainly reduced the amount of time we spent pissing about with the ball at the back. A scrappy goal was exactly what we needed to get us back into the game, and it was good to give it to the posh Tory ***** (apologies to any blues on here) on the other side of the barricade.

Yet, as time ticked on, I began to lose hope. As we entered injury time, I began to regret the time and money I had spent throughout the day just to watch this shitshow of a game. 

But then it happened. I don’t have a ducking clue who whipped that beauty of a ball in, but that ball seemed to go into the net in slow motion. I was absolutely delighted for Tom, who I really hope can kick on and be key for us this year. My brother lifted me onto his shoulders and I was screaming into the open sky for a good while, and when I came down it was so good to see the passion on the faces of the players who were so close to us. Bryson in particular looked like he would bleed black and white, and I will not forget that moment for a long time.

I’ve never seen an atmosphere like that at the end tonight. The away end was absolutely electric and I could really sense something special. The Nugent bounce, the Lampard chants and even the misidentification of Mason Mount as Craig ‘likes his haggis’ Bryson were all unbelievable.

Special mention to Mount, who you could tell was a class above everyone else, even if he wasn’t at his potent best tonight. Kudos to Scott Carson also, who made some key saves early on.

Moments like that are why we do this. 93 minutes of poo and one moment of pure elation made me ready to take on dirty Leeds next Saturday; but only after getting pissed on usher duty at my sister’s wedding the day before of course.

Up the ducking Rams???  

Good to have these match reports back. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that's missed these. Keep up the good work. COYR. ???

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, JarodyDCFC said:

Wow that was undeserved but I’m not complaining.

Actually I thought readings goal came against the run of play... We were the better team in the second half but good to see we got what we deserved. Poor first half but we played ourselves back into it, and deserved the win, especially with a winner like that. 

Great interview by Frank just now on Rams TV. Very complimentary towards Bennett & very honest in general. 

I haven’t said anything about FL so far but you can’t help but like the breath of fresh air he’s brought with him. 

Oh, and I thought Reading were overrated. They picked up on our errors and so credit for the way they defended. But I don’t think they played much better than us. We gifted them too much. They battled hard but I feel we have more potential than them even based off that one game. Neither team should be happy with their performance of course. But it’s opening day and it gives that big game feel. It’s a game matched only by end of season “6 pointers”, derbys and knockout games. I think we’ll settle into a better routine than them. 

Think the reactions from the 2 sets of players at FT shows that it had more riding on it than it should have. In a few weeks when both sides are in their stride and you haven’t built up 10 weeks to 1 game that Derby will look better than Reading. 

Might be biased but I’d put my money where my mouth is

At the break on sky it said "Paul Clement next" then it went to play off final, did he refuse to come out? Did Darren Bents comment offend him? Was he rollicking his players? Was he in shock? Did he say shove it, you've turned this into the Frankie show?  We need answers Sky! You could have re shown the goals, anything but what you did show!

Archived