v Reading (A) Match Thread

rynny

Royals vs Rams

Friday 3rd August 2018 8pm kick off, live on Sky Sports. 

So the season is finally here, we have had a good pre season with results, performances have improved game on game, optimism is rising throughout the fan base. The hoofball from last season is almost forgotten.

If we carry on the way we have been playing then we are in for a season that will be entertaining at the very least.

COYR

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m hoping for a good win here, its my ‘Local’ derby as i live just outside Reading.  They have had a poor end of season and a poor preseason and have not won for ages. This must have affected their confidence. On the other side we are full of confidence and I really like what Frank the Ram Lampard is putting together at Derby.

only slight worry is that this is not our luckiest ground.

Reading are due to get a new striker in the next few days (Blackman maybe???) and are after some others but high hopes for a Rams win.

If anyone wants any advice about anything in the Reading area, where to go what to see, just ask. 

Expect we will see the same line up that started yesterday, the next question would be is who will have a seat on the bench.

Roos, Forsyth, Pearce, Johnson, Huddlestone, Jozefzoon, Marriott

Would be my guess.

Bennett and Thomas would be two that you could argue a place for, but for balance, missing out on this game. 

12 minutes ago, David said:

Expect we will see the same line up that started yesterday, the next question would be is who will have a seat on the bench.

Would be my guess.

Bennett and Thomas would be two that you could argue a place for, but for balance, missing out on this game. 

Frank taking no chances with Marriott so Jerome as sub? 

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Frank taking no chances with Marriott so Jerome as sub? 

If Marriott doesn't make the bench I expect Bennett would take a seat, he's taken his opportunities in pre season where Jerome hasn't really done enough, for me at least, to be picked ahead of Bennett.

Whilst I do appreciate what Nuge brings to the team, I thought the need for an in form clinical striker was our only shortcoming. I know he had a tap in from an incredible keogh header and the assist , but I couldn’t help worrying about the two he missed early on that should be bread and butter to a goal scorer. Also when he broke through first half he was forced to shoot far too far out, as I think he knew the pace isn’t there anymore. So while I’m sure there’s a place for him in some capacity this season, I hope Marriott will be on the bench, as can’t help feeling he can get a bagful with this team. 

21 minutes ago, David said:

Would be my guess.

Wouldn’t have Pearce, Foz and Johnson on the bench. 

Max lowe plays 90 unless injured so drop Foz and put Thomas or Bennett on the bench. Johnson can do a job to cover Lowe in case of injury. MaximIse our attacking options. 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Wouldn’t have Pearce, Foz and Johnson on the bench. 

Max lowe plays 90 unless injured so drop Foz and put Thomas or Bennett on the bench. Johnson can do a job to cover Lowe in case of injury. MaximIse our attacking options. 

I really hope Lowe can stay fit this season, I really do, but for now I think it would make sense to have a natural left back on the bench just incase.

I can see an argument for maybe dropping Pearce but that would be for Bogle and not a forward player. 

Having Thomas, Bennett Jozefzoon and Marriott on the bench would be a tad overload at the top, all about that balance. 

14 minutes ago, David said:

If Marriott doesn't make the bench I expect Bennett would take a seat, he's taken his opportunities in pre season where Jerome hasn't really done enough, for me at least, to be picked ahead of Bennett.

On reflection, I agree

5 minutes ago, philmycock said:

How very civil, can’t imagine Bris ever contemplating being swayed, as he is never wrong and sees other people’s opinions as beneath him, bravo to humility ? 

Humility has always been my best feature. ?

What I'm looking forward to is seeing this fresh approach taken into the league season. I certainly can't see us just letting Reading play their football which for me is a great improvement. Watching the game last season at Reading I just couldn't understand why we were just content to let it happen - we were lucky to get a point that day IMO.

53 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I would expect Bennett over Marriott at this stage but the first game won’t be like the tenth game 

Why wouldn’t Marriott start? Can’t see any reason why he wouldn’t 

6 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Why wouldn’t Marriott start? Can’t see any reason why he wouldn’t 

Not up to speed with Frank and Jody's 'way'. Also not fit enough yet. Plus Nugent is doing well currently.

So it begins. After the miserable football last season and final capitulation at Craven Cottage in May, who could have predicted we would enter the new campaign with such hope? As we all know, it's the hope that kills you.

What I love about our new managerial overlords is the talk of intensity. This has manifested itself all through preseason, and remained the case with Marriott not being involved yesterday, with Frank saying he was training on his own as his level wasn't at the intensity of the rest of the squad. Standards are high. The buzz is high. A reason we haven't seen many outgoings is that the players looking on from the sidelines will want to be a part of this. Vydra really doesn't appear to want to leave. What competition for places we have, which can only be good for maintaining the intensity.

With a clean bill of health, the first team picks itself at this stage. Any incomings will have to get up to their level:

Carson

Wisdom      Keogh      Davies (c)     Lowe

Ledley

Bryson          Mount

Wilson       Nugent       Lawrence

Having to trim the bench down to seven is going to be a tough call for the new boss. I think we'll see:

Roos   Forsyth   Pearce   Johnson   Josefzoon   Bennett   Marriott

No room for Huddlestone or Thomas who would be the most disappointed. Bryson's substitution for Josefzoon yesterday was the unexpected one for me, with Wilson moving into a midfield berth. Without injuries, I think the expected subs will be:

• Bennett for Nugent
  • Josefzoon for Bryson (Wilson moves into midfield)
  • and later Marriott for Lawrence (with Bennett moving out wide)

Let's make Paul Clement even more miserable and dishevelled than he looked yesterday. Bring it on!

2 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Whilst I do appreciate what Nuge brings to the team, I thought the need for an in form clinical striker was our only shortcoming. I know he had a tap in from an incredible keogh header and the assist , but I couldn’t help worrying about the two he missed early on that should be bread and butter to a goal scorer. Also when he broke through first half he was forced to shoot far too far out, as I think he knew the pace isn’t there anymore. So while I’m sure there’s a place for him in some capacity this season, I hope Marriott will be on the bench, as can’t help feeling he can get a bagful with this team. 

If he scores one and assists one every week I won’t worry about how many sitters he misses 

1 hour ago, 1967Ram said:

Not up to speed with Frank and Jody's 'way'. Also not fit enough yet. Plus Nugent is doing well currently.

Why is his he injured ?

Archived