v Reading (A) Match Thread

rynny

33 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Well that was a pretty poor performance and we won away.

Perhaps that's the sort of luck we've been missing.

The lack of composure on the ball was embarrassing and went against all of the good stuff we showed in the friendlies. 

Good job we were up against a toothless Reading side because our errors would have been punished by better forwards.

Frank will know we need to strengthen yet we still got 3 points. Win  win.

Bah effing humbug scrooge 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone fearing the worst because of that performance must not have watched us in Pre-Season. We can & will play much better in the future.

The result is all that matters this early on. You can start bed wetting if we're still playing like that in October.

We all knew the toughest part supposedly comes at the beginning and I'm just happy that while Frank and the team have a lot to think about and learn from - especially in that first half - they still came away with 3 points. Every single point is worth so much in football and especially moreso in the Championship. I thought first half Lawrence and Wilson were trying too hard/showboating unnecessarily however they got their head down and put in better shifts in the second half. I do think it was a case of settling the nerves as well as a combination of not moving the ball forward quick enough in the first half that was our undoing. Maybe THudd gets his spot back once he's fit coz he's more available and looks to pass forward unlike Joe. Second half performance showed the character of the lads and, in flashes, the quality we have as well. Was a dodgy win but I don't think we 'mugged' Reading with the win coz in the second half we were by miles the better team and the only chance they created was the goal that they scored. Better opposition await and I hope we can give them some better football as well. UTR! ?

44 minutes ago, Viper2 said:

2nd Goal masked the inept and quite worrying performance. Better teams would've trounced us. 

Not convinced about the Lampard effect yet. 

Ever thought about finding a new hobby to wallow in negativity in ?  

What a totally pathetic and unreasonable judgement on someones very first managerial match in charge 

47 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

nor me... we were poo.
Showed our lack of class by calling not a forest man, but one of our own, and the last guy to manage us, and take us to 2nd in the league less than 12 months ago, a banker... a new level of low from rams fans that never cease to amaze me.

It would probably plesse many people if you found a new pastime.....including yourself .

Surely you have to consider what on earth you are doing with your time if that is your overriding emotion at the end of that game 

38 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not sure what we robbed Reading of? A point? 

They were the home team, the onus should have been on them to attack. Instead they were happy with 35% possession and for the last 15 mins they showed no urgency to win the game.

They slowed down the play, took time over throw-ins, got everyone behind the ball.

I’d hate to be a Reading fan. Their performance smacked of negativity, inferior and relegation-esque.

That was the kind of performance lots of our fans were very satisfied with under Rowett last season though. We played like that in the 1st leg of the play-off semi against Fulham and people kept saying what a great performance it was.

Ok let's look at this pragmatically.  We traditionally have had a terrible start to the season.  Today wasn't pretty but. 68% possession.  More shots and more passes. We still came away with a win. First game nerves v expectation.  I will take that

I assume based in how we switched to a more direct style in the second half, people will wait a little longer before bemoaning our lack of other "Plans" in future tough games?

52 minutes ago, Gil said:

That cross from Mason was outstanding. Put it on a plate for Lawrence. Had an outstanding cameo.

They were scared to death of mason bennett and it was all about the cross...all lawrence had to do was close his eyes and connect. 

Just now, SaintRam said:

I assume based in how we switched to a more direct style in the second half, people will wait a little longer before bemoaning our lack of other "Plans" in future tough games?

This has been touched on already in different threads but in the future against the ‘better’ teams, I can foresee us playing Evans alongside Ledley for a solid base, which would give Mount the freedom to play closer to the opposition goal.

still can't believe that goal. unbelievable. i'm absolutely buzzing.

i'm delighted with the result, and relieved that expectations have been somewhat tampered too. today wasn't pretty for the most part, we need to give lamps the time he needs. he's shown today that his heart is very much in the job and I think he'll deliver.

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Am on my first night in Paphos and the plan is for myself and the son-in-law to 'explore' the town during which we may accidentally alight upon a bar showing Sky Sports. 

I was there last year for first game. Irish bar on tomb of the kings road.

1 hour ago, Waffle said:

I’ve got to say, I love the fact that Jody Morris looked ready to kill every time the camera was on him

Oh, Jody... I was willing to put my money on the boys coming out sharper in the second half if only for the fact that Jody would've walloped them in the dressing room at HT. 

Think I’ve only got two points to really add before the morrow.

1) Johnson, for all his criticism,’provided that extra spark tonight. Not saying he should start, but too many wrote him off. Bloody love the lad me.

2) Witnessed 10 Derby fans scattered around a pub in Padstow absolutely lose it with that Lawrence goal. One thing I love about this club, is that you can walk into a pub in the most random areas of this country, and you will find a Derby fan.  Not sure how many clubs our size can hold that boast. 

Oh, one last point (well there are a few others, but might leave it to morning). If we continue to play on the front foot, we will be ok this season. 

Archived