v Reading (A) Match Thread

rynny

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

If Clement was a mate of mine I’d be on the phone to him to make sure he’s ok.

Benty let him have it a bit but was only answering a question and was quite measured in how he spoke.

That response from Clement is classless and rude and is a sign of other issues.

That’s the type of reply you would expect from someone whose had too many lagers.

12 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Think I’ve only got two points to really add before the morrow.

1) Johnson, for all his criticism,’provided that extra spark tonight. Not saying he should start, but too many wrote him off. Bloody love the lad me.

2) Witnessed 10 Derby fans scattered around a pub in Padstow absolutely lose it with that Lawrence goal. One thing I love about this club, is that you can walk into a pub in the most random areas of this country, and you will find a Derby fan.  Not sure how many clubs our size can hold that boast. 

Oh, one last point (well there are a few others, but might leave it to morning). If we continue to play on the front foot, we will be ok this season. 

Agree with item 2. I was in a sussex pub for the play off final v West Brom and there were a lot of people cheering on Derby same with brother in a Surrey pub! Either neutrals or actual rams fans...but glad of the support.

Thought I would just would just watch last night's match again.  So I switched on the last 10 seconds.

Brilliant cross, brilliant header, brilliant goal - great match.

Actually I think I have watched the last 10 seconds about 50 times now. Quality !!

Just think that in the first half Bryson was coming too deep and doing Ledleys job and Ledley was getting too far forward and doing Brysons job. I wasn't hugely impressed by Ledley last night he was very negative and was slowing the play down too much. Nugent didn't offer anything like I thought he wouldn't, friendlies and league games are so different and Nuge doesn't have the physicality or speed to compete.

It was a massive win though for the club and fans but for Lampard and the players. Think of the crap sky would spout if he would of lost. We can re group over the week and prepare for Leeds. I think the intensity of the game wasn't helpful last night, there was no space at all on the pitch which affected us, but teams do that on the first game especially at home. Wouldn't expect Leeds to turn up like that next week. Hopefully as everything settles down after the first week we will see our football shine.

Just got back from reading after staying over after the game, wow what a end to the game, I have lost my voice the scenes at the end were great, just a note we will get better as time goes on and I believe we will have a good season, stand out players for me Mount, Bryson and Mason when he came on, can not wait for Leeds next week now.

A few thoughts after last night’s game:

1) We clearly lacked a “passer” at the back. We need one in the team, either at CDM (Hudds / a fit Thorne) or in the shape of a new, expensive CH. I say expensive because they would have to be quite something to be as good defensively as either of the current incumbents yet also good on the ball. Mark Wright, or Igor, would be ideal.

2) Mason Mount is an amazing signing. He will be superb this season, I’m sure. From the limited amount I have seen, he’s not actually as technically gifted as Will Hughes was at the same age, but (and it’s a big but) there is an eye for goal that Will never had.

3) Bryson was great, especially second half. I have seen some say that he slowed things down, and that’s probably true early on as he and Ledley didn’t seem to know who was doing what, butnour best play after the break all had him at the heart. I think his assist for Mount’s goal has gone under the radar. It was instant, aimed forward and found the man perfectly. Welcome back.

4) A top quality, confident, in form striker will score a hatful in this team. I say that despite there being very few clear chances yesterday. Sometimes we’ll need a Marriott-esque poacher. Other times it may be a target man (Martin?) to hold it up and bring others into the play. Horses for courses.

5) Lampard - what’s not to like? Humble, honest and already seems proud to be a Ram. The way our bench exploded at the end was a real, genuine, joy to behold. There is a moment where Frank catches the eye of Alex Pearce and they look as delighted as one another. You could argue that Pearce will again be no more than a bit part player this year, but he and the other subs plus Lamps, Morris and co looked like they had been working together for years.

Think I am going to enjoy this season more than any for quite a while.

Watched this from a hot tub! Its not easy to do the bounce in a hot tub, more of a gentle bob! Actually I couldn't get the time off work, or I'd have been there.

As many have said, we were poor, first half. We didn't do the "high pressing" which was the key to our pre-season successes, not necessarily because we chose not to, or simply didn't bother, but more because of how Reading played. I think they did a job on us, but more than that I think they surprised us. I was expecting their usual hide in their own half and pass it around ad nausea which is Clement's and their hallmark. Instead they burst out of the traps and pressed us high up the pitch, playing us at our own game, and it worked. It did unsettle us, which is why we saw the uncharacteristic sloppy passing - something which ha stood during pre-season was that the whole team looked like footballers, and our passing, ball-control and speed of thought was much improved over previous seasons, and all that seemed to have disappeared last night.

There were the "calamity-passing" errors from Mr Keogh, but our weakest link for me was Wisdom. His defending was poor, but worse than that his passing wasn't very effective, often doing a "Butterfield", turning back and going safe, but his speed of thought just doesn't seem to be there this season. There has been criticism of Lowe's defending, although I thought he still put some great tackles in, and his control and use of the ball in play is astounding - he has a very significant future ahead, of that I am sure.

The biggest plus for me was the difference the half-time team  talk made, because we came out in the second half much more on the front foot, surely a sign of managerial capability. Well done, Frank! And to overcome the body blow of conceding while playing so well is also a good sign. Yes our equaliser was because of poor goalkeeping, but equally, their goal was because of poor defending as  well. I did notice that when  we did start to show glimpses of what we can do, it brought out two traits in Readings approach - to go down like flies at the slightest opportunity, and to commit quite cynical, often crude fouls. This also highlighted that "its started again" - not the football season, the crap refereeing. Wisdom collided with the winger who then got clear, then flopped down to his hands and knees after clearly thinking about it first. It was Wisdom's first foul and certainly wasn't a yellwo card offence, but he was wearing a Derby shirt, so yellow card it was. Similarly, Lowes card was also harsh, especially given the fouls which went unpunished by the Reading players. The only justifiable card for a Derby player was Johnson's, and it could easily have been a red card. Yes Johnson did get a hefty shove in the neck by the Reading man's hand and arm, but to then roll around like he did to try and get his opponent red carded was wrong. To then go physically head-to-head with him was foolish - I hope Frank has a word with him about that.

I was impressed with the impact Bennett had when he came on - Nugent struggled becauae he can't handle balls played in either to his head, or to his feet, and Reading stooped us playing the passes that Nugent thrives on. Mason's arrival cause problems - he does thrive on the same through balls, but can also beat his man. He carries a threat on the wing, and seems to have developed a Sturridge-like poacher's instinct. I wonder if Frank is aware of Bennett's impact against Chelsea in that cup match when he scared the pants off Ashley Cole? I don't even remember if Frank was with Chelsea then, but it looks like Mason has come of age. Well done. Maybe we should think of giving him a start in the next few matches?

Plenty to think about, and plenty to be excited about, especially the passion of the management team on the touchline.

Come on you Rams!

4 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

It’s intresting how peoples views differ, for me Bennett started brightly but I thought McShane out thought him and until the cross I didnt see much from him (excellent cross)

I thought Reading were clever they reduced the width of the pitch to leave less space for Wilson and Lawrence (Lawrence played well) Wilson isn’t very good with his positioning, Bryson (excellent welcome back) kept barking orders to him. We looked dangerous when we got the ball forward, but especially in the first half we didn’t we kept passing the ball to and fro in front of Reading to no effect. 

So for me the problems positions were up front and the holding midfielder (I still think Thorne could have a role in this side with his passing) Nugent had the guile but no pace, Bennett had pace but no guile 

I would split MoM between Bryson, Lawrence and Mount (he is going to be so good for us this season)

we will improve as we did in the second half.

note on Reading - they were better than I thought they would be, better than last year.

note on the away support - keep bouncing you were excellent- I liked the Frank the Ram lets bounce moment the end.

I will be smiling on Reading station on Monday morning when I’m off to work...well done boys (team and fans) and well done Frank (he was trying to head and kick the ball from the dug out ...he is a Ram)

I agree with you that on the odd occasion in the first half when Derby did get the ball in the last third of the field they looked dangerous and there were a few occasions whereby Reading resorted to cynical fouling to prevent any further progress. Your comment about Bennett is accurate and sums him up but he added fresh legs and energy and exposed a pretty tired and average left back.

The build up play in the first half was far too slow and laboured. Fulham's style of play would be a good blueprint. They definitely knew exactly how they were going to play but Derby yesterday looked ponderous and confused especially in the first half.

Reading weren't  bad but I was surprised that with quick wingers and quick full backs  they didn't attack too much down the wings. When they did they scored as they have a big centre forward to feed off crosses.

41 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The only justifiable card for a Derby player was Johnson's, and it could easily have been a red card. Yes Johnson did get a hefty shove in the neck by the Reading man's hand and arm, but to then roll around like he did to try and get his opponent red carded was wrong. To then go physically head-to-head with him was foolish - I hope Frank has a word with him about that.

He didn't roll around, and he didn't go head to head - that was initiated by the Reading man. I thought the Reading man was lucky to stay on but wasn't surprised when the ref did the typical 'even-handed' booking.

What would be people's preferred tine up vs Leeds? Mine would be:

Carson

Wisdom keogh davies  Lowe 

Huddlestone/evans

Bryson                   Mount

Jozefoon Bennet  Lawrence

With marriot as sub hopefully and maybe vydra as well to come on an get the winner.

Archived