Rams or England ?

Seaside Ram

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England.

Winning a World Cup or European Championship is I imagine, a once in a generation thing. Seeing Derby get promoted/relegated/at Wembley seems to come around a lot more frequently.

Might be nice to see a Premiership title or FA Cup in my lifetime but I've already been alive for 2 Division 1 Championship titles (the proper ones back in the 70s!)

In my lifetime we've won 2 titles and 4 promotions. I'm old enough to remember 3 of the promotions. 

Fortunately it's not a decision I have to make but offer me the World Cup next week or promotion in May and I'll have the World Cup every time.

It's the pinnacle of the game and it only comes round every 4 years (sometimes more for England) so to be so close now, it's a no brainer for me.

If the semifinal was a Croatian team with, say, a significant Rams contingent versus an England team with no Rams representation, and maybe a few gumps in there, who would people want to win? 

For instance, if it was Stimac and Asanovic versus Stone and Hodge I'd probably have divided loyalties - or at least having Rams players in the opposition would soften the blow if we lost. 

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

If the semifinal was a Croatian team with, say, a significant Rams contingent versus an England team with no Rams representation, and maybe a few gumps in there, who would people want to win? 

For instance, if it was Stimac and Asanovic versus Stone and Hodge I'd probably have divided loyalties - or at least having Rams players in the opposition would soften the blow if we lost. 

England every time. Maybe I'm too old but I don't go for all this club identity crap when we're watching England. 

That said, if a Forest player made a crucial mistake that cost us the match I'd never let them forget it ?

22 minutes ago, maxjam said:

England every time. Maybe I'm too old but I don't go for all this club identity crap when we're watching England. 

That said, if a Forest player made a crucial mistake that cost us the match I'd never let them forget it ?

6 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Did you forgive psycho ?

86685BC3-3820-43A0-B355-DAEF5CCCF333.jpeg

D8F0A3EE-06E5-4B07-8C23-7A87D5229E21.jpeg

Mercilessly sang "Psycho lost the World Cup, Psycho lost the World Cup" from the Popside for the entirety of the game after and as much as possible since. It completely floored him, which was the intention. He *really* hates us. Why should we forgive him? He got off so lightly because Waddle's penalty was the final one. His ineptitude cost Shilton and Wright a place in the World Cup Final (though admittedly Shilts was really hopeless in his penalty saving attempts). And he chose to profit from it by doing the Pizza Hut advert. I don't forgive Gareth Southgate that either.

28 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Did you forgive psycho ?

Psycho always gets stick because he so openly hates us, but yeah I mocked his penalty miss at the time too hehe. 

No one else missing has ever really bothered me, if we can't win in 120 mins then its a lottery pure and simple - even against Colombia the other day the actual difference between the two sides was one player hitting the bar, as both keepers made one save and everyone else scored.  After repeated failures though, we're due a good run in penalty shootouts so here's hoping we get it in the same tournament!

1 hour ago, Charlie Dram said:

In my lifetime we've won 2 titles and 4 promotions. I'm old enough to remember 3 of the promotions. 

Fortunately it's not a decision I have to make but offer me the World Cup next week or promotion in May and I'll have the World Cup every time.

It's the pinnacle of the game and it only comes round every 4 years (sometimes more for England) so to be so close now, it's a no brainer for me.

But the OP states an FA Cup win, not promotion. I’m 55. In my lifetime we’ve reached the semifinals once. Our one and only FA Cup win was in 1946, which was also our last final. Even though the World Cup only comes around every 4 years England ‘s win was more recent and the next one will probably come before Derby’s next Cup win(??for next Sunday). Realistically the FA Cup and League Cup are our real possibilities of domestic success in the near future, and if past success is anything to go by very slim chance at best. For me, DCFC without a shadow of a doubt. I hope England bring it home but I would still choose the Rams every single time and with no guilty feelings.

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If RamsTV stream the Notts County friendly and England don't make the final, I think the the two games clash. I'll be watching RamsTV. #COYR!

Total cop out mate!

Who gives a flying duck about the 3rd and 4th position play off.

The Notts County game has more significance to see the team Frank turns out.

But what if England playing in the final versus derby's opening game?

I'd chop of my left testicle to see England win the World Cup.

And then I'd eat it if Derby got promoted too.

I'd need it slow cooked in a red wine jus and served over a bed of wilted greens with some moroccan couscous, but I'd still eat the ducker.

Archived