Rams or England ?

Seaside Ram

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, David said:

Why follow Derby at all then? Quite a damning statement on the club you support.

I don't understand why people can't have a preference for one without destroying the other, chances are this England team will not win the World Cup in 4 years time, or the next, will they be perennial losers? I mean we have to go back to 1966 since we last won it,  Derby have been the Champions of England twice since then. 

We're in the second tier of English football with a large number of English players, of course they are not going to play for their country given the players we have available to pick from for the national team?

If we forget those that have played for England though in Carson, Huddlestone and Nugent, those that are not English: Lawrence and Ledley, Wales internationals, Vydra recently called up to the Czech Republic squad, Martin Scottish international.

We have quite a few that are also representing their countries at U21 and below levels.

All of whom are on our books.

Don't get me started on overpaid, Jesse Lingard on a reported 100k pw at Man Utd doing his dabs. Not exactly a peasant is he.

I’ve followed Derby for 37 years and have been a season ticket holder travelling up and down the country from Oxfordshire during that time. I love the club but I am a patriot and as the question was an FA Cup win for the Rams or England winning the World Cup I went with my heart and said the World Cup, because that would mean far more to me. 

As for the perrenial losers comment, we haven’t won a promotion for 11 years, been stuck in the same division for 10 years and in the last 4 years the players have failed miserably every single season, while picking up wages that wouldn’t be out of place in the lower reaches of the Premier League.

It isn’t a case of having a preference for one without destroying the other. England’s performance in the World Cup has enthused me and made me proud to be an Englishman again. Derby haven’t made me feel anything but miserable for years! ?

31 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I’ve followed Derby for 37 years and have been a season ticket holder travelling up and down the country from Oxfordshire during that time. I love the club but I am a patriot and as the question was an FA Cup win for the Rams or England winning the World Cup I went with my heart and said the World Cup, because that would mean far more to me. 

As for the perrenial losers comment, we haven’t won a promotion for 11 years, been stuck in the same division for 10 years and in the last 4 years the players have failed miserably every single season, while picking up wages that wouldn’t be out of place in the lower reaches of the Premier League.

It isn’t a case of having a preference for one without destroying the other. England’s performance in the World Cup has enthused me and made me proud to be an Englishman again. Derby haven’t made me feel anything but miserable for years! ?

Why? Because we beat Tunisia, Panama, Colombia & Sweden? Relative to the standing and ranking of England Derby, in our sphere, have consistently performed at that level and a lot better. I would re-set your entitlement barometer for Derby if I were you. You may enjoy the experience more. 

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Why? Because we beat Tunisia, Panama, Colombia & Sweden? Relative to the standing and ranking of England Derby, in our sphere, have consistently performed at that level and a lot better. I would re-set your entitlement barometer for Derby if I were you. You may enjoy the experience more. 

I already do enjoy the experience mate, but I'm not so parochial that club football means more to me than seeing my country do well in a major tournament. 

3 hours ago, Jayram said:

OK, so we didn't achieve promotion but to say we have failed miserably for each of the last four years when we've reached the play-offs twice is frankly ridiculous. 

As I said before, I think you need to avoid getting carried away with England's performance. Expectations were low and credit for getting as far as they did but, wetting yourself over wins against Tunisia (narrowly), Panama, Colombia (very narrowly) and Sweden is a slight overreaction. 

Archived