Marcus Maddison - Joined Charlton

Cam the Ram

2 hours ago, irobinson said:

I doubt there was much opposition from fans to signing Charlie George......he was bought to spearhead us winning the European cup - had the pedigree...

marcus who? 

Charlie had been flicking the V’s at the Ossis end on his previous visit with Arsenal at the BBG so there was some chuntering , also a few weren’t happy about him lying on the floor at Wembley waiting for his team mates to pick him up after he had thumped the winner against the Mickey’s in the FA Cup final ...........bit of a “fancy dan” was Charlie. Think there would have been quite a discussion if a forum had existed then. 
A few goals soon changed most opinions though 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

His stats in league 1 suggests he needs to test himself at a higher level. It didn’t work out for him at Hull but that’s not to say it wouldn’t work out here, especially given Marriott is here and they had some success together at Posh. But it easily could be another McIndoe. 

We need to be looking for bargains or loans so it could fit that profile of signing, however he’s another 10, So unless one of Lawrence Sibley or Holmes is being sold I can’t see it happening. 

His age is against him, done the business with the Posh in League 1, its a gamble that Cocu will probably not take.

I've asked the tramp and he says he's heard nothing on this.

On a personal level he was quite excited by the prospect.  Admittedly that was mainly on the basis that if I released him from the bottom of my garden, he thought Maddison would be good company for him on a park bench while they quaffed tramp juice.

I dunno. Some folk just can't catch a break. Personally I think DMac is an untrustworthy gobshite so wouldn't be letting his comments put me off for sure. He's certainly not one to be accusing other folk of being greedy, that's for sure. 

As for Maddison, I kind of respect that he's trying to put himself out there. Surely if he thought he was God's gift in the way that some imply then he'd just be sat waiting for the inevitable call. Perhaps this interlude will provide a reality-check if needed and whoever takes a chance may be rewarded with a decent player for no fee and reasonable wages. Maybe a smart move might be to invite him to train with the lads and monitor him that way but if the club feel he's not needed or too big a risk It'd be understandable, especially after recent turmoils. 

4 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If he's posting that on 31 August it doesn't sound like he is actively talking to anyone. If we were genuinely interested you would think we'd at least have sounded him out for a move at this point given that the season starts imminently.

How wonderful that last bit sounds

On 30/08/2020 at 23:12, ilkleyram said:

Then I’m afraid @irobinson you are either too young to remember or you’ve forgotten. Charlie wasn’t well regarded at the time. Not long before signing he had gesticulated at the Popside when scoring, after taking no end of abuse; his star at Arsenal was on the wane; he had fallen out with England; and his form was at best patchy. Like many flair players at the time he routinely got kicked from pillar to post during a match. There were many who questioned Dave MacKay's wisdom in signing a 'known' troublemaker.

That he turned out to be the greatest of many great players is a tribute to him, Dave’s management of him and his team mates. The crowd that didn’t want him ended up adoring him. 

All very true and Charlie George still had that edge with us but served to channel it 

I suspect having Dave Mackay at the helm helped keep Charlie in line as no one would want to upset Mackay

The comparison between Charlie and Maddison though is not really similar as George had proved himself already as a very talented player at the top so was worth the gamble I’m not sure Maddison is but on the other hand a trial period would’nt hurt but suspect if this was going to happen it would’ve happened by now as he’s a free agent 

13 minutes ago, S8TY said:

All very true and Charlie George still had that edge with us but served to channel it 

I suspect having Dave Mackay at the helm helped keep Charlie in line as no one would want to upset Mackay

The comparison between Charlie and Maddison though is not really similar as George had proved himself already as a very talented player at the top so was worth the gamble I’m not sure Maddison is but on the other hand a trial period would’nt hurt but suspect if this was going to happen it would’ve happened by now as he’s a free agent 

Exactly  - he'd won the cup for arsenal all ready (1971)......and was one of the most natural talents to come out of London. Player Fan stick I love that.....

Ill stick to my view - George /  Maddison (no real comparison)

I see Matlock Town have tweeted for Marcus to step forward and a have a chat...this morning

Not sure Charlie George ever got an offer or played at Causeway Lane.......

18 hours ago, irobinson said:

Exactly  - he'd won the cup for arsenal all ready (1971)......and was one of the most natural talents to come out of London. Player Fan stick I love that.....

Ill stick to my view - George /  Maddison (no real comparison)

I see Matlock Town have tweeted for Marcus to step forward and a have a chat...this morning

Not sure Charlie George ever got an offer or played at Causeway Lane.......

No way would Charlie have dislodged the Fenoughty brothers (Tom, Mick and Nick) out of that 1970s Matlock team.....?

47 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

No way would Charlie have dislodged the Fenoughty brothers (Tom, Mick and Nick) out of that 1970s Matlock team.....?

Or Peter Swan and Peter Scott. Peter Swan had been involved in a betting scandal I believe hence why he was playing at that level. I seem to recall Matlock won the FA Trophy at Wembley the same day DCFC were presented with the League Championship Trophy at home to Carlisle. 
Well off topic ?

21 hours ago, S8TY said:

Charlie never really was a trouble maker. It was all a bit of a myth. 

On 31/08/2020 at 22:43, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

As for Maddison, I kind of respect that he's trying to put himself out there. Surely if he thought he was God's gift in the way that some imply then he'd just be sat waiting for the inevitable call. Perhaps this interlude will provide a reality-check if needed and whoever takes a chance may be rewarded with a decent player for no fee and reasonable wages. Maybe a smart move might be to invite him to train with the lads and monitor him that way but if the club feel he's not needed or too big a risk It'd be understandable, especially after recent turmoils. 

I wonder if he's a classic too good for one league, not stand out in another - Like Vydra or Ince - People expect them to step up and bag 10+ goals a season cos they got loads in the lower league - Where actually they might have had a system built around them - I suspect Hull saw him as someone to pull them out of a hole and quickly realised he wasn't much better than what they already had

I bet he'd be decent for someone in the championship - I also bet he would be behind Sibley and Holmes in our pecking order so don't see the point in going for him

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Charlie never really was a trouble maker. It was all a bit of a myth. 

Didn't he have long hair? Pretty sure that's all you needed to be classed as a trouble maker then - Standards have changed somewhat since then...

Archived