Marcus Maddison - Joined Charlton

Cam the Ram

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen Marcus Maddison play precisely once. 

He spent most of the time rolling around on the floor trying to con the referee into booking or sending off opposition players. 

He didn't do anything positive to contribute to his team's performance and even his own players were trying to pull him back to his feet in the end. 

Hull only played him 7 times whilst on loan there, despite desperately needing goals and there isn't a long queue forming for the services of a player who ought to be in his prime at (nearly) 27. 

I can guess why.

31 minutes ago, angieram said:

I've seen Marcus Maddison play precisely once. 

He spent most of the time rolling around on the floor trying to con the referee into booking or sending off opposition players. 

He didn't do anything positive to contribute to his team's performance and even his own players were trying to pull him back to his feet in the end. 

Hull only played him 7 times whilst on loan there, despite desperately needing goals and there isn't a long queue forming for the services of a player who ought to be in his prime at (nearly) 27. 

I can guess why.

I'm in two minds over him and I think your view is shared by the majority. If we're going to get the player that was at Hull then it's a definite 'no' from me but there's a nagging doubt in my mind that if someone can just get inside the lad's head, there's a serious player in there. There's an absolute wealth of evidence that he has loads of ability if he'd just consent to use it and he could also be key to reviving Marriott who based on admittedly limited pre-season evidence, still seems a mile of the kind of sharpness we saw from him in his first season.

Soooo.... Given there'd be no signing fee, is it worth taking a risk that his current predicament might have forced the lad to take stock of his situation and what's led him to it and knuckle down? This really will be his last chance to actually deliver on the promise he's shown so could that be the making of him or will he simply submerge into the anonymous pile of also-rans and could-have-beens? If a heavily performance-based deal could be struck - given where he's at now I suspect he'd take any offer - I might be tempted as long as there's a means to get him out the door sharpish if he reverts to kind. He's got an absolute wand of a left boot when he deigns to use it.

Never seen him play and can only go on what I’ve seen written here and other places and from that I would be inclined to give him a miss as for me a vital ingredient is that a player desperately wants it ,there’s seems no evidence of that up to now so why bother taking a punt that he suddenly finds it now , these days a squad really need to be on the same page attitude wise no matter the differing levels of natural talent within it ,,,,it’s a no from me

When Clough Jr had to work with a tight budget quite a few of his signings were fells who had something to prove. By that measure this could be an astute signing. The vital ingredient is the player’s desire to improve and work hard and play for the team. If he does then great. If not, then we don’t want him. Cocu and his staff will have sussed it out. 

15 minutes ago, Archied said:

Never seen him play and can only go on what I’ve seen written here and other places and from that I would be inclined to give him a miss as for me a vital ingredient is that a player desperately wants it ,there’s seems no evidence of that up to now so why bother taking a punt that he suddenly finds it now , these days a squad really need to be on the same page attitude wise no matter the differing levels of natural talent within it ,,,,it’s a no from me

I don't understand why it's a 'no' from you and you've never seen him play.

I wonder what a dcfc fans forum might have said about Charlie George before we signed him or a whole range of alleged 'troublemakers' down the years. Football forums are not really the place for balance.

11 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I wonder what a dcfc fans forum might have said about Charlie George before we signed him or a whole range of alleged 'troublemakers' down the years. Football forums are not really the place for balance.

Talking a bit of a wide gulf in class here aren’t you to take chance on....King  Charles and Marcus Maddison 

7 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Thought I had explained fully why my gut feeling was a no ? Others gut feeling is yes give it a punt ? Both just opinions from people who in the main have never seen him play or seen very little of him in a level of football below the championship, why is it’s a yes from me any more valid?

6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Charlie George though was coming to a settled squad with a proven track record, good self discipline and positive attitude.  Teams can probably accommodate 1 or 2 players with attitude and discipline problems and hopefully the squad will have a positive effect on them. Any more than that and it can have a negative effect on the whole squad. I remember once I was teaching a class of kids and they were really hard work, no they were a nightmare and one lad seemed to be the ringleader. I changed schools and had a really good class full of hard working self motivated kids. Then, suddenly, there was a new boy and it was the ''naughty" one from the previous school. Guess what, he behaved really, really well. In short I don't feel our squad is ready yet for the liked of Maddison. So it's a no from me.

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

Thought I had explained fully why my gut feeling was a no ? Others gut feeling is yes give it a punt ? Both just opinions from people who in the main have never seen him play or seen very little of him in a level of football below the championship, why is it’s a yes from me any more valid?

A 'yes' from you is not more valid. It's ok to not have an opinion on something you know nothing about. 

What seems strange is the willingness of people to follow others' opinions on things they know nothing about.

2 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Charlie George though was coming to a settled squad with a proven track record, good self discipline and positive attitude.  Teams can probably accommodate 1 or 2 players with attitude and discipline problems and hopefully the squad will have a positive effect on them. Any more than that and it can have a negative effect on the whole squad. I remember once I was teaching a class of kids and they were really hard work, no they were a nightmare and one lad seemed to be the ringleader. I changed schools and had a really good class full of hard working self motivated kids. Then, suddenly, there was a new boy and it was the ''naughty" one from the previous school. Guess what, he behaved really, really well. In short I don't feel our squad is ready yet for the liked of Maddison. So it's a no from me.

Fair enough but the evidence that Maddison is a troublemaker who will drag the squad down is thin at best, being based almost entirely on hearsay.

Besides, I have no idea what constitutes 'troublemaking'? Who'd have guessed this time last year that we would sack our captain for gross misconduct?

9 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

A bit of a chalk and cheese comparison but reminds me of Dennis Rodman with the Bulls. A complete oddball, often would skip training but always showed up on gameday. The rest of the team was very disciplined. 

3 minutes ago, Shaftesbury Street said:

A bit of a chalk and cheese comparison but reminds me of Dennis Rodman with the Bulls. A complete oddball, often would skip training but always showed up on gameday. The rest of the team was very disciplined. 

Not really. It's a comment on groups of people.

59 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Fair enough but the evidence that Maddison is a troublemaker who will drag the squad down is thin at best, being based almost entirely on hearsay.

Besides, I have no idea what constitutes 'troublemaking'? Who'd have guessed this time last year that we would sack our captain for gross misconduct?

I guess a reliable person to ask is someone who either coached him or played with him - like Jack Marriott for instance

I'm sure if there's any merit in this at all, Jack will have been asked

Archived