Marcus Maddison - Joined Charlton

Cam the Ram

21 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Hope this isn't true, he's a mid table winger at the very best! Id rather not have him on the wage bill at all. Good wingers get you out of the division and for me he wouldn't helps us kick on towards the playoffs. 

Well we're a bang average mid table team at the minute. 

He's worth the risk in my opinion. Better than what we have. 

Free transfer. Nothing to lose.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Well we're a bang average mid table team at the minute. 

He's worth the risk in my opinion. Better than what we have. 

Free transfer. Nothing to lose.

Apart from tying up wages  , signing on fee , perhaps a bag of problems if not researched properly 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Ambition is different to optimism. 

If the accounts are correct and we recorded a loss of £31m+ in 18/19 then we are really up against it this season. In a three year (now four) rolling period: 
18/19 - -31m
19/20 - ? 
20/21 - 
21/22 -

unless we recorded a healthy profit again last season, we're pretty close to the line. I'd say we're in a fairly bleak position overall, minus our extremely productive academy who we will be praying gets us some a) money and b) players in the first team. 

We made a £13m profit that year which is why the EFL wanted to charge us. We’ve money left in regards to ffp unless we lost millions in 19/20 which as yet, we haven’t published. I imagine we’ll be about £5m down last year so still plenty left in regards to ffp.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Apart from tying up wages  , signing on fee , perhaps a bag of problems if not researched properly 

Don't get me wrong mate. It wouldn't get me off my seat. But football clubs are absolutely ducksd at the moment.

Most of them (bar say maybe the top 6/10 prem) are having to sell before they can buy. 

We may get Jozwiak if we sell someone. But if not these are the kind of signings we're gonna have to make.

20 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

We made a £13m profit that year which is why the EFL wanted to charge us. We’ve money left in regards to ffp unless we lost millions in 19/20 which as yet, we haven’t published. I imagine we’ll be about £5m down last year so still plenty left in regards to ffp.

I guess the rest is taken up with future liabilities, residual transfers fees (as they are spread out over the length of the contract), lack of ongoing revenue etc 

35 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

The £14m profit came in the 17/18 season which now doesn't help us, unfortunately. It's effectively out-of-date due to the rolling period. 

28 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Don't get me wrong mate. It wouldn't get me off my seat. But football clubs are absolutely ducksd at the moment.

Most of them (bar say maybe the top 6/10 prem) are having to sell before they can buy. 

We may get Jozwiak if we sell someone. But if not these are the kind of signings we're gonna have to make.

Correct - if we actually wanted him and he wanted to actually play football offer a one year contract to prove himself with an option for the club to extend it by one year, no major harm to us then and if he was a total jerk we could not let him into work. 

Whilst I have always been a critic of certain aspects of Tom Ince game he does score goals and we need some so getting him on loan at a discounted rate should be pursued 

40 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Whilst I have always been a critic of certain aspects of Tom Ince game he does score goals and we need some so getting him on loan at a discounted rate should be pursued 

Think that should read "did score goals". Only 11 league goals in the last 3 seasons at an average of 1 every 10 games.

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

will 19/20 be the third of a three cycle or the 3rd of a 4 year one

I've just looked again, it's been changed to four year cycle. I believe that means: 17/18, 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21 which means the £14m+ profit is still in play until at least the 21/22. I would say that means we are on MINUS 17m as of the end of 18/19 and that should give us some movement with regards to P&S this year, but it looks unclear how it will get back on track - or how much organic loss we will make from simply not being able to go to games.

24 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Think that should read "did score goals". Only 11 league goals in the last 3 seasons at an average of 1 every 10 games.

All about systems for him and stoke and Huddersfield didn’t play 433 where as we did and still do - personally I think the players we currently have are better suited to 442 but I can’t see that happening under Cocu - Waghorn and Marriott sounds a lot better Waghorn or Marriott 

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Not knocking you just very much of the opinion that it’s one that needs a bit more care , yes I know people say there’s no concrete evidence that he’s a problem player and that’s all well and good but with the noises surrounding him it would be very stupid of the club not to do all it can to firm up or dismiss them , also is he any better than what we have comming through ? 
we’ve wasted so much money over the last few years I Would much prefer the club to go the full mile to get signings right and yes we may  have to make some have a punt buys but hope we do the leg work to sign the best chance of success punts we can

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Correct - if we actually wanted him and he wanted to actually play football offer a one year contract to prove himself with an option for the club to extend it by one year, no major harm to us then and if he was a total jerk we could not let him into work. 

and Martin too? 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I've just looked again, it's been changed to four year cycle. I believe that means: 17/18, 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21 which means the £14m+ profit is still in play until at least the 21/22. I would say that means we are on MINUS 17m as of the end of 18/19 and that should give us some movement with regards to P&S this year, but it looks unclear how it will get back on track - or how much organic loss we will make from simply not being able to go to games.

It's not the EFL but you would expect them follow UEFA and their approach to  FFP. Basically writing off any impact from COVID in 2020,  Allowing for bigger losses. If that profit covers that three year period and 20/21 is excluded (or eased), then you would presume (so long as 19/20 isn't too bad) that we have wiggle room to buy some players. 

9 minutes ago, Shaftesbury Street said:

It's not the EFL but you would expect them follow UEFA and their approach to  FFP. Basically writing off any impact from COVID in 2020,  Allowing for bigger losses. If that profit covers that three year period and 20/21 is excluded (or eased), then you would presume (so long as 19/20 isn't too bad) that we have wiggle room to buy some players. 

They've already changed their 3 year rolling period into 4 as their response to Covid. I wouldn't think we would be getting anything on top of that. Relegated clubs can make twice the loss without punishment. 

Archived