Jack Marriott - Signed on a 3 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

6 hours ago, 86 points said:

I'm pretty ambivalent about this signing. Based on admittedly limited evidence, I can't see why this lad is worth £6.5 million. In fact, I think that's a ludicrous value to apply. By way of comparison, Ollie Watkins, whom I was desperate for us to sign, was the EFL Young Player of the Year and and Brentford ultimately signed him for a relatively paltry £1.8 million. Are we really to believe that Marriot is worth going on 4 times as much. I don't think so.

I agree with this. To answer the last question - Watkins was a winger playing in League 2. Marriott is a striker playing a division higher who has just scored over 30 goals in a season and is still seen as young/has potential to grow.

Pboro sold Assombalonga for £5m+ to Forest a few seasons ago and he didn’t score as many goals.

Now I’m not saying Marriott is worth £6.5m, that’s just what Pboro are asking for. But it’s why they can ask for big money.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, r4derby said:

I agree with this. To answer the last question - Watkins was a winger playing in League 2. Marriott is a striker playing a division higher who has just scored over 30 goals in a season and is still seen as young/has potential to grow.

Pboro sold Assombalonga for £5m+ to Forest a few seasons ago and he didn’t score as many goals.

Now I’m not saying Marriott is worth £6.5m, that’s just what Pboro are asking for. But it’s why they can ask for big money.

All valid points, well made. It just seems like a shitload of cash. I like @Boycie's idea where we structure a deal against some performance metrics - promotion, 15+ goals and the like. It does seem as if we're not going to be held to ransom in any case and I guess we've got to trust Frank's ability to judge a player's worth. I really like the singings thus far so if this lad joins us it'll be a tip in itself I suppose.

I'm sure there wont be any specifics regarding us but:

phil adlam‏ @philadlam 44m44 minutes ago

Just spoke with @DMAC102 for our YouTube piece. Covers a whole range of subjects including the latest on Jack Marriott and Marcus Maddison, the stadium, what strengths the co-owners bring and much more. Full interview out this afternoon.

5 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

After signing two top prospects on loan, beating a number of clubs to them and spending 2.75 million on Flo Jo, financially ruined Derby County who are constrained by FFP now target striker who's likely to cost over 5 million quid

breaking-bad-Bill-Burr-lying-money-Kuby-

5 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

I was not expecting such honesty. Fair enough. 

He always comes across as a decent bloke, plus it's definitely his right to name the price. I wonder if we could throw one or two loans his way to help?  

Just now, Ambitious said:

I was not expecting such honesty. Fair enough. 

He always comes across as a decent bloke, plus it's definitely his right to name the price. I wonder if we could throw one or two loans his way to help?  

Comes across as a man that’s looking to get an auction going for his player, using social media to alert other clubs. 

Most likely slapped a whacky price on his head, will either end up going for a bit more than what’s been offered late on with the player lacking fitness having missed out on pre season. Or a club comes in pure panic and desperation, pays the whacky price. Looking at Leeds United when I say this.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Comes across as a man that’s looking to get an auction going for his player, using social media to alert other clubs. 

Most likely slapped a whacky price on his head, will either end up going for a bit more than what’s been offered late on with the player lacking fitness having missed out on pre season. Or a club comes in pure panic and desperation, pays the whacky price. Looking at Leeds United when I say this.

Is he the players agent because he sure sounds like it 

Fair play to posh for the way they do business its worked for them so far... In a way I hope he doesn't move cos they are being too greedy and they will lose out on a lot of money.

Them asking for 6.5m for a league 1 player is like us asking for 30m for Vydra and not being willing to negotiate.

Ultimately the player is the one that misses out.

It’s a very similar situation to us with Vydra. Their season also starts in 2 weeks, and he hasn’t played a minute of football. That interview leads you to believe that he won’t be featuring in the next friendly either, as his head isn’t in the right place. 

Their fee is probably too high, so it’ll be interesting to see if they lower it as the window nears closure and he still isn’t match fit. 

Archived