Jack Marriott - Signed on a 3 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

3 minutes ago, tombomb said:

A lot of scrapy goals in that video which championship defences won't give you as easily. I think we would be in danger of overpaying at 6million. Doesn't  look great technically, a lot of scuffed shots and bad goalkeeping

Also - Video opens with a picture of Ben Brereton... Does that mean Marriott isn't even good enough to open his own clips video?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

He does look like an all round decent striker...

He does look like he has a good touch, and an instinct where the goal is. I am not sure though l like the fact that he seems to turn luminous just before he receives the ball. Ok in the First Divsion, but in the Championship l think a few defenders might pick-up on his positioning better, and that would clearly limit his effectiveness.

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because Vydra is a bit of a luxury player, and probably plays in the same position as Mount. Meanwhile, we're crying out for a centre forward. It isn't about Vydra being a bad player, it's about Vydra not necessarily fitting us next season. 

If he plays in the same position as Mount, and we presume that Mount fits us... Then why wouldn't Vydra? Conversely - If Vydra doesn't fit us, neither does Mount? 

Just now, GadFly said:

If he plays in the same position as Mount, and we presume that Mount fits us... Then why wouldn't Vydra? Conversely - If Vydra doesn't fit us, neither does Mount? 

Because Mount works a lot harder than Vydra. With all respect to Vydra, he's lazy. His head drops too easily, and he doesn't fit a pressing style. If we are planning to press from the front, Vydra isn't our guy to do it. He's also never going to be worth more money. Mount is a better all round player than Vydra is.

10 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Mayyyyybe just maybe Vydra can actually play as the 1 up top if the style of football is different? Frank & co might know how to unlock it?? Just a thought

I admit I only watched a couple of minutes of that video - But I din't see anything there that Vydra or Nugent don't already do

4 minutes ago, GadFly said:

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because Mount works a lot harder than Vydra. With all respect to Vydra, he's lazy. His head drops too easily, and he doesn't fit a pressing style. If we are planning to press from the front, Vydra isn't our guy to do it. He's also never going to be worth more money. Mount is a better all round player than Vydra is.

Pretty sure Mount is a CM - An Attacking CM sure but a CM all the same - He's Will Hughes not Matej Vydra

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Does anyone have any idea of our likely line-up against Reading because I'm confused!

Looks to me like we're planning to play 3-2-5.

4-3-3

Carson

Wisdom       Keogh            Davies         Forsyth/NEW 

Huddlestone

Bryson                         Mount

Wilson                                                   Lawrence

Marriott

That's the aim at least by the looks of things.

Josefzoon sub/rotation for the wingers. Bayliss perhaps in as cover for Bryson, and maybe Palmer in as a sub/rotation for Mount & Lawrence as a flexible option.

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Fair enough. 

So Vydra to go plus at least one CF and two midfielders.

If we do sell Vydra I hope we use some of the money for a new left back.

Pretty much yes. Josefzoon + left back + Marriott seem to equal Vydra, so Bayliss + Palmer will presumably depend on what else we get in for funds. 

19 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Pretty sure Mount is a CM - An Attacking CM sure but a CM all the same - He's Will Hughes not Matej Vydra

People have cited him as a #10, which would make him quite similar to Matej Vydra.

Just now, Andicis said:

People have cited him as a #10, which would make him quite similar to Matej Vydra.

He's definitely a Will Hughes type. Late runs into the box don't equal being a 10, otherwise that would have been Lampard's position right?

Just now, thederbyram said:

He's definitely a Will Hughes type. Late runs into the box don't equal being a 10, otherwise that would have been Lampard's position right?

Thing is, if you play 4-3-3 like some have suggested, where do you put Vydra? 

People seem to assume that we need to sell before we can buy him, such as Alan Nixon.

Allegedly we have just had a 3.8 million bid for Josefzoon accepted. As well as taking Mount and Wilson on loan, no doubt at some considerable cost.

From the comments of the Posh chairman I think Marriott is Lampards first choice, but the fact no one has signed him yet just highlights the fact no one values the player at 6.5 million.

I fully expect (hope) Marriott will be a ram, if Posh accept a fee from anyone but derby we will probably beat it within reason, or we keep upping our bid slightly until acceptable.

Have faith.

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

People seem to assume that we need to sell before we can buy him, such as Alan Nixon.

Allegedly we have just had a 3.8 million bid for Josefzoon accepted. As well as taking Mount and Wilson on loan, no doubt at some considerable cost.

From the comments of the Posh chairman I think Marriott is Lampards first choice, but the fact no one has signed him yet just highlights the fact no one values the player at 6.5 million.

I fully expect (hope) Marriott will be a ram, if Posh accept a fee from anyone but derby we will probably beat it within reason, or we keep upping our bid slightly until acceptable.

Have faith.

I don't think that fee has been reported anywhere. Probably just come from hopeful Brentford fans, wanting a decent fee. Can you really see us paying that much for someone with a year left on his contract?

My guess is that it will be somewhere in the £2m-£2.5m range. Effectively using the Weimann money to sign his replacement. 

Just because we’ve clearly got money to bid for that Brentford player doesn’t mean we  suddenly have 6 million to spent on Marriot, we got 2 million plus for Weimann we won’t be paying Brentford more than 2 million up front 

8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

if Posh accept a fee from anyone but derby we will probably beat it within reason. 

The reason being that it's a bid from a club with more spending power than us? 

Archived