Jack Marriott - Signed on a 3 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

On the basis of the video I'm not overly sold tbh, some of the defending was a bit ropey and goals a bit scrappy. 

If Lampard and Morris see something in him and think he can step up to be a top of the championship striker then who and I to argue.

Not convinced but more than happy to be proved wrong!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Andicis said:

People have cited him as a #10, which would make him quite similar to Matej Vydra.

People are wrong ?

Oddly enough Hughes has been playing kind of as a 10 for Watford - I still think his best position (and what I can gather is Mount's position) is in a midfield 3 with plenty of room to do whatever he wants

16 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

People seem to assume that we need to sell before we can buy him, such as Alan Nixon.

Allegedly we have just had a 3.8 million bid for Josefzoon accepted. As well as taking Mount and Wilson on loan, no doubt at some considerable cost.

From the comments of the Posh chairman I think Marriott is Lampards first choice, but the fact no one has signed him yet just highlights the fact no one values the player at 6.5 million.

I fully expect (hope) Marriott will be a ram, if Posh accept a fee from anyone but derby we will probably beat it within reason, or we keep upping our bid slightly until acceptable.

Have faith.

Totally agree MRiG

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Frank said that he wants Vydra to stay and I believe him. 

"We will see, but while he performs as well as he did last year, with the level of goals, I expect him to stay."

You're a bit off on the quote. He said he expects him to say, not that he necessarily wants him to stay. 

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Frank said that he wants Vydra to stay and I believe him. 

Let's face it, the boy's got quality. But as a business decision you'd take selling him in order to strengthen other areas, especially when there isn't a perfect spot for him in the team and we're short on quality in those other areas..?

17 minutes ago, maxjam said:

On the basis of the video I'm not overly sold tbh, some of the defending was a bit ropey and goals a bit scrappy. 

If Lampard and Morris see something in him and think he can step up to be a top of the championship striker then who and I to argue.

Not convinced but more than happy to be proved wrong!

While it is always a gamble, acquiring a player from lower leagues - the caliber of defending doesn't really come into it.

Firstly, it's rare for a goal to be scored against good defending. Secondly, even if he was the best player in the world his highlight reel would still be full of terrible defending because that's the level he's playing at.

Disclaimer: I do not think he is the best player in the world. I am on not even sure he'd make the step up confidently. 

2 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Well I think Marriott fits the style of play we are going for with a short passing winger reliant system. He seems to thrive on low balls in to the box.

He seems (from that video) to do best when there's plenty of room in behind the defence to exploit

Teams generally sit quite deep against us - The teams who push up we generally tear apart so no-one does it - I suspect we're going to have to deal with teams having 10-men behind the ball against us again this season

Plus - All our other strikers thrive on that too...

I love it when we sign new players - Just seems a lot of money for a player who has no championship pedigree and doesn't seem any better than the 4 forwards we already have

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

He seems (from that video) to do best when there's plenty of room in behind the defence to exploit

Teams generally sit quite deep against us - The teams who push up we generally tear apart so no-one does it - I suspect we're going to have to deal with teams having 10-men behind the ball against us again this season

I love it when we sign new players - Just seems a lot of money for a player who has no championship pedigree and doesn't seem any better than the 4 forwards we already have

Maybe it’s because he’s nearly 10 years younger than most of them! 

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Every season we buy known players while other teams think outside the box and find players that we never considered that outperform ours. But Marriott to me is about 2m overpriced at 6.5m. That video looked like his main strength was low cross situations, teams won't always defend deep against us if they go behind. I think there a few bigger guns than us this season, serious cash about. Hopefully we see a more attack oriented division rather than the keep tight crap we've had to put up with for a while.

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Maybe it’s because he’s nearly 10 years younger than most of them! 

Yeh but Martin is like 29/30 - There's another year or so in Nugent and Jerome - And Vydra is still mid-twenties

Would rather stick with what we have, save the £6.5m+ and spend when we need to - Can't imagine us shifting Jerome or Martin easily this summer and Vydra doesn't seem to want to go anywhere that wants him

11 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh but Martin is like 29/30 - There's another year or so in Nugent and Jerome - And Vydra is still mid-twenties

Would rather stick with what we have, save the £6.5m+ and spend when we need to - Can't imagine us shifting Jerome or Martin easily this summer and Vydra doesn't seem to want to go anywhere that wants him

I discount Vydra as he’s not really a striker as such. Which leaves Nuge, Jerome and Martin. 

I wouldn’t want any of those being our starting striker for the season. 

But that’s just me.

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

I discount Vydra as he’s not really a striker as such. Which leaves Nuge, Jerome and Martin. 

I wouldn’t want any of those being our starting striker for the season. 

But that’s just me.

Did well last year as a non striker 

We definitely need somebody. It's not the fact that Jerome or Nugent are poor, but we need a focal point and a guaranteed starter. We won't be doing ourselves any favours if we head into the season without a clear first choice striker, too much rotation of the player up top makes it hard for them to build up consistency.

I'm hoping we see a few outs, or at least interest in our players towards the end of this week. We have about three weeks left of the window, so there's still enough time, but I'm hoping we don't leave it so late that we're panicking and trying to rush players in as has happened with us before.

Archived