Do we really want to go up this year???

ramsbottom

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The teams you expect to go up out of 4 in the play offs rarely do. It's about sh*thousing a result.

Huddesfield for example... scored 1 goal over 3 games (and it was an own goal) got promotion. If you can defend like warriors and get lucky you'll go up. we've got the defence to do it, we've seen it throughout December and Jan.

3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Go up, sensibly build a squad that can compete the following season in the Championship, and don't worry about coming straight back down

Exactly this!

aka "The Burnley Method" (formerly "The WBA method").

4 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

No, before you say it, I'm not some wrist slasher, who sticks the boot into players at the drop the hat, and moan when we've won 3-0 at home because we didn't win 7-0.  But looking at the squad as a whole today, would you want us to be promoted?

Looking at the players we have you'd say that Carson, Wisdom, Ledley, Huddlestone, and Vyrda could possibly make the step up, or have had experience in the top flight, that leaves a hell of a lot of positions to improve.  Seeing as the going rate for the average prem quality player is £10m for starters, could you (and more to the point would you want to) see us parting £80m or so just to TRY and survive?

Again, I'm not trying to be a doom & gloom merchant, well maybe subconsciously I am due to it being a Monday and my crappy office's air con isn't helping my man-flu, I would just like to hear some balanced views...

yes

Yes and build once you have the cash to do so without putting the clubs future at risk.

The money just for being in the prem is massive and the parachute payments should we drop down again would give us a big advantage the following season (not a guarantee of promotion) and it would ease the pressure on Mels wallet and hopefully give the bloke a chance to relax and enjoy the game.

Of course! Playing in and then establishing ourselves in the Premiership is the dream. If it doesn't work out, we wipe our mouths and go again. At least we'll be doing so having coined in £100M + with some fairly hefty parachute payments to bolster our efforts .

Frankly, if this isn't the dream, what is? We have a chance right now and I'd be focussing purely on converting that opportunity. We can worry about strengthening the squad once we've crushed Cardiff at Wembley and have the money to do so. That, to me, would be a lovely problem to have.

I want nothing more than to win promotion this season but I wonder if enough of us are giving the OP enough consideration?

I've no doubt whatsoever that this squad is significantly less likely to survive than (say) the 2012 squad would've been had it gone up and, although I'm very much in the school of "take promotion where you can get it" (seriously, how could you not be after the last few seasons?), we're still in a squad reconstruction phase and we should not forget what 2007-08 did to our club.

Could we really handle something like that again? It took us five seasons to get over that, parachute payments and all.

Don't forget that players will demand a premium to even consider coming to a club favoured to go down...

But, seriously, what's the alternative? If we keep contending for promotion and failing, eventually the expectation of failure will seep into every pore of the club.

While it might be preferable in a perfect world to plan for promotion over say 2-3 seasons and build the squad progressively, we know we don't have that time up our sleeve; GR doesn't have that time up his sleeve; and nor does MM.

So...yes...take it. At least ensure we perform creditably without taking our eye off the longer term goal.

If we come back down, so be it.

One thing on our side in that regard is the widespread weakness evident in the lower end of the Premiership.

4 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Go up, sensibly build a squad that can compete the following season in the Championship, and don't worry about coming straight back down, with little financial constraints once back down.

The alternative is to stay down and rebuild next season under severe FFP pressure, which would seem a masochistic approach to me.

I agree 100% .. go up and dread getting thrashed every week, but if it is a spring board to a better future then why not. Yes this squad is not long term but maybe it can benefit us in time. 

I confess in a peverse way that part of me wants to stay down, let the old heads go and build from the bottom, enjoy Saturday football and solid competative sport, but that's is a hard road financially and Mel hasn't got an endless pit of money to fund championship football even allowing for FFP. A season of possible pain in the top league would help enormously  in a long term plan .. And that is the crux of it. How long can you wait ? We have the support, culture, and structure to be a mid ranking premier league team. The missing element is building a team that is like a well planted, well tended garden. That flowers year on year. .. Without an oil well to bail you out when decisions go wrong you need youth, an academy, a scouting team and a manager with vision and skill that takes time, and I mean multiple seasons  ... But with the money ruling the game to such a mad extent it's like the Alligator and swamp story and as fans would we accept it ?

so yes @reveldevil let's hope we get it, have a year of moaning on the forum and move on to greater things the day after tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

From a purely selfish perspective I would like us to get promoted so we can afford to bring in some decent players and we can see some different teams, many of whom will contain world class footballers.

That's the last thing I want to see! I've got no problem with playing different teams, I just hope all the world class players are injured on the day we play them. I go to see Derby and really couldn't give a toss if Man city are down to the barebones when they arrive in Derby.

Archived