Do we really want to go up this year???

ramsbottom

No, before you say it, I'm not some wrist slasher, who sticks the boot into players at the drop the hat, and moan when we've won 3-0 at home because we didn't win 7-0.  But looking at the squad as a whole today, would you want us to be promoted?

Looking at the players we have you'd say that Carson, Wisdom, Ledley, Huddlestone, and Vyrda could possibly make the step up, or have had experience in the top flight, that leaves a hell of a lot of positions to improve.  Seeing as the going rate for the average prem quality player is £10m for starters, could you (and more to the point would you want to) see us parting £80m or so just to TRY and survive?

Again, I'm not trying to be a doom & gloom merchant, well maybe subconsciously I am due to it being a Monday and my crappy office's air con isn't helping my man-flu, I would just like to hear some balanced views...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

No, before you say it, I'm not some wrist slasher, who sticks the boot into players at the drop the hat, and moan when we've won 3-0 at home because we didn't win 7-0.  But looking at the squad as a whole today, would you want us to be promoted?

Looking at the players we have you'd say that Carson, Wisdom, Ledley, Huddlestone, and Vyrda could possibly make the step up, or have had experience in the top flight, that leaves a hell of a lot of positions to improve.  Seeing as the going rate for the average prem quality player is £10m for starters, could you (and more to the point would you want to) see us parting £80m or so just to TRY and survive?

Again, I'm not trying to be a doom & gloom merchant, well maybe subconsciously I am due to it being a Monday and my crappy office's air con isn't helping my man-flu, I would just like to hear some balanced views...

No offence but I hate these kind of posts ,, it’s not even a question,,,to not want to get promoted is the total opposite of what sport is ,,, to strive to achieve the utmost you can at the level you are at,,, it’s that simple ,, the money it brings in if used correctly changes the whole complexion of the club and the level it can build from and to financially 

Was thinking about this myself a few weeks ago, of the list you put forwards I'd knock everyone off bar Carson - for the Prem I'd have Wisdom as backup, Ledley and Huddlestone wouldn't have the legs for a full season and Vydra maybe if he had quality around him,

I'd love us to go up, but we'd need an entirely new first team.

Do you really think Mel and Gaz are going to purposely try to stop us getting promoted? would be great for the club and as long you have players and manager you have a chance at survival? look at Huddersfield? The money from getting promoted would do so much for the club and derby as a whole....If we get in playoffs which we should all we have to do is win 3 games. Relax dont think about things that are out of your control......

Just now, maxjam said:

Was thinking about this myself a few weeks ago, of the list you put forwards I'd knock everyone off bar Carson - for the Prem I'd have Wisdom as backup, Ledley and Huddlestone wouldn't have the legs for a full season and Vydra maybe if he had quality around him,

Not entirely straight away but yes we would need to build a team that was at the level of top six championship ,bottom ten prem on a structure that would survive financially a few yo yo years if that’s what it took ,, fffp bar would be massively raised for us to allow Mel to invest and build further 

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

This is kinda my point.  Ledley was released by currently 17th placed Palace, Wisdom struggled to hold down a place at Norwich & West Brom, Huddlestone struggles with the pace, and Vydra wasn't trusted at Watford & scored 3 in 20 odd games for West Brom...

7 minutes ago, archied said:

No offence but I hate these kind of posts ,, it’s not even a question,,,to not want to get promoted is the total opposite of what sport is ,,, to strive to achieve the utmost you can at the level you are at,,, it’s that simple ,, the money it brings in if used correctly changes the whole complexion of the club and the level it can build from and to financially 

Understood.  But would we really change as a club?  We over spend on average players at the moment, I could only see us doing the same if we were to go up with the personnel we currently have.  I guess I'd be more optimistic if we had a distinct style, but even when we were flying before Christmas, the results were smacking a little of King Bill-eh's reign...  I'm just terrified of a repeat of THAT season...

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

This is kinda my point.  Ledley was released by currently 17th placed Palace, Wisdom struggled to hold down a place at Norwich & West Brom, Huddlestone struggles with the pace, and Vydra wasn't trusted at Watford & scored 3 in 20 odd games for West Brom...

Exactly, our best players would struggle to make the step up, where does that leave the rest?

I seem to recall Mel saying something along the lines of promotion being an inevitable consequence of the growth of the club and that we'd have a core of players ready to make the step up - we're a long way from that at the moment.  It will take significant investment to give us a fighting chance in the Prem if we get there.

Go up, sensibly build a squad that can compete the following season in the Championship, and don't worry about coming straight back down, with little financial constraints once back down.

The alternative is to stay down and rebuild next season under severe FFP pressure, which would seem a masochistic approach to me.

Of course we do. In some sense it doesn’t even matter what happens when we get there, though staying up would be preferable! Just to get the money would keep us competing with all the other teams that have been up, and give us a great chance of establishing ourselves in the coming years. Imo we will be willing to spend big money when we go up, don’t think mel is going to shy away from that, so at the very least we should be in a good position to keep yoyoing and eventually establish ourselves, if we don’t manage to do it the first time! Plenty of teams have done it first season, once you’ve stayed up one it becomes much easier with the players you can attract imo.

Burnley appointed Sean Dyche for the second half of the 12-13 season. His first full season he got them promoted to the Prem and then went straight back down, but then went straight back up and now look at them. Not saying we would be able to replicate this as plenty of teams struggle when they come back down, but the money would be extremely useful if nothing else. It's not like they have an unreachable target to surpass our last effort in the Prem either.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Burnley appointed Sean Dyche for the second half of the 12-13 season. His first full season he got them promoted to the Prem and then went straight back down, but then went straight back up and now look at them. Not saying we would be able to replicate this as plenty of teams struggle when they come back down, but the money would be extremely useful if nothing else. It's not like they have an unreachable target to surpass our last effort in the Prem either.

All about using the money properly 

Just now, archied said:

All about using the money properly 

I think the manager continuation helps as well. Rather than bringing in a new manager midway through season that you are expected to get relegated in anyway - you keep the same manager who can further refine the teams play style.

Archived