Do we really want to go up this year???

ramsbottom

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah we could go up and beat our own record... we are currently nowhere near good enough for promotion.

Mel has the right idea... biuld on the squad let us get better each season we will go up an dwill only then need a couple of players to add to the squad. At the moment we would need 18 new players for a team and squad as the ones we have are championship players at best.

I dont want a rerun of 2008!!!!

Sith Happens

How many teams are truly ready, or perceived to be though?

No our current squad isnt, but we would make signings, take a few loans maybe.

Hope if we do go up we dont spend it on absolute dross like last time. Would rather not sign anyone than do that. I think the current squad would probably get relegated but am sure we wouldnt have the same low points as last time.

47 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

This is kinda my point.  Ledley was released by currently 17th placed Palace, Wisdom struggled to hold down a place at Norwich & West Brom, Huddlestone struggles with the pace, and Vydra wasn't trusted at Watford & scored 3 in 20 odd games for West Brom...

I’m not sure football’s ever as black and white as that though… you find solutions to get the best out of your better players and build from there.

Huddlestone struggles with the pace but can pass it in behind as well as anyone in the country so give him the free role in a midfield three. 

Ledley is a decent stop-gap in a midfield two but probably doesn’t have the legs every week but, again, in a three he’d have less ground to cover. 

Vydra only started seven games for West Brom and was never given a chance at #10. 

So already we’re looking at either a diamond or a three at the back. If Wisdom has been proven to get roasted at full-back then wide-centre-half may well be for him.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

How many teams are truly ready, or perceived to be though?

Fulham are, Mac 1 was, Bournemouth were, Watford were, Wolves are, Leicester were, Southampton and West Brom in 06/07 both were but we shithoused the pair of them.

You can generally pick out when a team’s ready or not. Such is the nature of the Championship though not all of them make it.

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Fulham are, Mac 1 was, Bournemouth were, Watford were, Wolves are, Leicester were, Southampton and West Brom in 06/07 both were but we shithoused the pair of them.

You can generally pick out when a team’s ready or not. Such is the nature of the Championship though not all of them make it.

Thought Fulham were made up largely on loan players?

I don’t think there’s ever a guarantee of a player sinking or swimming really. There’s players who’ve been pretty average in this league who have excelled up there, and likewise players who have excelled down here and been pretty average in the Prem (one of which was our top goal scorer last season). 

A lot of our ex players are a case in point. How average did Michael Keane and Jesse Lingard look for us? Both in with a chance of going to a World Cup yet were kept out of our team by Jake Buxton and Simon Dawkins. 

Yes. Go up and take it from there.

Different days but Arthur and TBEs promotion teams weren't 'Prem quality' but good management, agreed transfers etc can make it work. 

Plus if we're in the Prem next season, it means the next 6/7 weeks are going to be great fun.

We could have a big party when we get to 12 points (hopefully). 

You never know; Mel might sell us to the worlds richest man and we're champions in 2020. 

Getting up is the hardest part. Let's get it done if we can.

13 minutes ago, cannable said:

TBF, I'd take doing that to Villa or Cardiff this time around.  Just for their respective managers reactions...

Go up, spend sensible money on players who will be good for the championship if we do go down, get off to a poor start, boo at matches and insult player's wives on twitter, moan about Mel been tight and Gary out of his depth, get Gary sacked and say we need a boss Premiership experience, get Pardew in, buy loads of experinced has-beens on big wages in January and get relegated anyway, have a squad that worse than Jewell left us with, moan at Mel for changing the managers too often, etc...

What a ridiculous question / statement. Of course we want to get promoted.

Whenever I played, and that was up to semi-pro level, I never, ever, walked out thinking we were going to lose and always strived to play the best I could with either a promotion or cup final at the end of the season to look forward to.

One season in the premiership would see Derby receive in the region of £160 million (x1 Premier season at £100m + x4 Championship seasons at £15m each).

This type of money would enable any manager to build a team, even if relegated, in a similar manner to Burnley and Leicester in te past.

Going purely off the team put out on saturday:

Carson: definitely good enough for the Premier league, surprised we've kept hold of him this long 

Wisdom: would be in his element, most premier league fullbacks are defensive of nature

Davies: could play at least a season up there

Pearce: good enough for the bench, a proven CB from a relegated team would likely to be bought. 

Baird: good experience for the squad, probably invest in a solid left back if they don't deem Lowe good enough 

Huddlestone & Ledley: both good enough, maybe a decent loan and a solid younger midfielder to blood into the team 

Lawrence/weimann/Vydra: All good enough, but desperate for some serious competition for their places, again wingers from the teams that miss out on promotion and players going down with relegated teams would be useful. 

Nugent/Jerome: neither good enough, big spend needed on a good proven striker, someone like Gayle, Mitrovic, Ulloa would be decent. A younger hungry striker like Grigg would be useful too. 

So out of the current 11, 8 could potentially play Premier League football well, 3 positions need strengthening plus a few solid backups/competition 

Hypothetically yes I would. Realistically we won’t go up this season anyway so we have nothing to worry about. We have a very tough run in until the end of the season. I personally think wolves and Burton are going to be difficult and can’t see us picking a point up off these two. I think we’ll finish outside of the playoffs so we don’t ha e to worry about it 

29 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

What a ridiculous question / statement. Of course we want to get promoted.

Whenever I played, and that was up to semi-pro level, I never, ever, walked out thinking we were going to lose and always strived to play the best I could with either a promotion or cup final at the end of the season to look forward to.

One season in the premiership would see Derby receive in the region of £160 million (x1 Premier season at £100m + x4 Championship seasons at £15m each).

This type of money would enable any manager to build a team, even if relegated, in a similar manner to Burnley and Leicester in te past.

Blank+_ef34126ebacb8df309212e51bae7bcc8.

I never said the players weren't trying.  All I'm wondering is if the clamor to go up is worth it at the current time, considering our squad isn't the best...

Archived