Do we really want to go up this year???

ramsbottom

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Historically only 27% of clubs relegated from the premier league bounced back at the first attempt.

73% who went up, came straight back down.

58 minutes ago, Rample said:

Spending big isn't a huge gamble if you get £89m for finishing bottom plus parachute payments.  Just make sure your players have resale value and maybe include a  incase it all goes wrong. Who's to say how hard it will be to get up next season, you have to think this league will get tougher and tougher as money comes in and the relegated teams with the means to buy their way out mount up.

The signing of Cameron Jerome fills me with dread with the prospect of our premier league signings.

I could see us signing Peter Crouch, Carlton Cole and even Carlton Palmer.

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The signing of Cameron Jerome fills me with dread with the prospect of our premier league signings.

I could see us signing Peter Crouch, Carlton Cole and even Carlton Palmer.

There's definitely a whiff of eddie lewis, robert earnshaw, and andy todd about it.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

This has been said for years but there equally seems to be teams coming down who have effectively pre-spent their parachute payments and have crap squads. At the end of this season could be West Brom, Stoke and either palace or Swansea. None of these should be striking terror into championship teams.

It's all theoretical, but I can't see any of this season's top 7 or 8 getting any worse next year and there are a lot of 'sleeping giants' with rich owners that could through investment or better management wake up at any time - I think Wolves may have started a dangerous trend.

The teams coming down are only limited by their forward thinking - parachute payments or not they will have saleable assets in an era where everybody pays top whack for an average Premier league player and you only need look at Newcastle to see how effortlessly they sold enough to reduce expenditure, sign players who were safe bets to get them up, and put some cash back in the bank. Sunderland, Hull and other teams that tried to get back up with what they had show that isn't particularly a great model.

On 4/10/2018 at 08:24, ramblur said:

It's a bit of a romantic dream (and one that I share), but this League is hellish difficult to get out of, and the more teams that come down with these massive chute payments, the harder it's likely to get. Now I know you could say that relegated teams rarely go straight back up (and some even drop further), but the thing I've noticed is that the 3 years allow teams to come back strongly eventually, as per Fulham and Cardiff. If neither of Villa or Boro go up this year, they've both still got big payments coming their way in future years. I firmly believe we have to go up whenever we get the chance.

Promotion out of the Championship is difficult but not "hellish" difficult.

Burnley managed it 3 times 7 years. West Ham, West Brom and Newcastle also haven't had too much trouble getting back to the top flight in recent years,

5 hours ago, Grantona said:

Promotion out of the Championship is difficult but not "hellish" difficult.

Burnley managed it 3 times 7 years. West Ham, West Brom and Newcastle also haven't had too much trouble getting back to the top flight in recent years,

Apart from Burnley,the first time, weren't all of those in receipt of 'chute payments? If you'd given the examples of ,say, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Brighton, Swansea and yourselves first time round , then you're point would have carried more weight in relation to the difficulties facing clubs without 'chute payments, such as us?

19 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I've been to the pub mate to meet a couple of friends mate .  You should try it sometime instead of stalking me on here . Regarding sarcasm perhaps you should read your previous posts back . You asked me three questions - I answered them .   When you refer to guts and determination - that sort of description relates to real problems affecting real people .  not someone who earns in a year at the age of 18 or 19 what the average working person earns in 3 or 4  years and has a groin strain that will receive the best medical attention money can buy .  All my points are legitimate points  .  If you don't like it start a forum poll on how likely we are to get promoted with 4 or 5 untried youngsters in the team and you can argue with someone else instead.

Trying to deal with recurring injuries that are seriously affecting your career progression strikes me as being a 'real problem', both physical and mental. As far as I know our Academy players are 'real people' and their pay levels ( which you can't possibly know) are completely irrelevant.

You didn't answer the question about showing how you came to the conclusion that there would be big wage savings this season at all. Plucking a figure of £2.6m out of your backside doesn't answer the question . Nobody's stupid enough to believe that you won't give details of how you came to this figure because you'd be boring members, because they're intelligent enough to see that there really aren't any 'details' to reveal, and that working in statistics/ correlation doesn't give you the magical power of knowing what each player earns.

I might well go to the pub for a really good laugh with my mates. Anyway, I'm out of this now, unless you can come up with the components (which there have to be) of this £2.6m figure. It's not 'stalking' to challenge another poster's claims.

5 hours ago, ramblur said:

Apart from Burnley,the first time, weren't all of those in receipt of 'chute payments? If you'd given the examples of ,say, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Brighton, Swansea and yourselves first time round , then you're point would have carried more weight in relation to the difficulties facing clubs without 'chute payments, such as us?

Brighton? Bloom has ploughed in £200 million of his own money to buy Brighton promotion; Bournemouth and Swansea paid wages which were far in excess of their turnover. Hull - in 2007/8 - did not spend a fortune to get promoted.

This will be Wolves' third promotion to PL since 2000. It's hard but not impossible -Millwall might go up having spent peanuts.

3 minutes ago, Grantona said:

Brighton? Bloom has ploughed in £200 million of his own money to buy Brighton promotion; Bournemouth and Swansea paid wages which were far in excess of their turnover. Hull - in 2007/8 - did not spend a fortune to get promoted.

This will be Wolves' third promotion to PL since 2000. It's hard but not impossible -Millwall might go up having spent peanuts.

I take your point, but clubs in receipt of chute payments can pay a lot more in wages than any club without chute payments, even if they spend in excess of their turnover. I don't particularly like Millwall, but I've a grudging admiration for what their manager is doing there. Let's just agree that it's very hard to get out of such a competitive League, but not impossible. I'm actually one who's long thought that your manager is top notch btw.

5 hours ago, ramblur said:

Trying to deal with recurring injuries that are seriously affecting your career progression strikes me as being a 'real problem', both physical and mental. As far as I know our Academy players are 'real people' and their pay levels ( which you can't possibly know) are completely irrelevant.

You didn't answer the question about showing how you came to the conclusion that there would be big wage savings this season at all. Plucking a figure of £2.6m out of your backside doesn't answer the question . Nobody's stupid enough to believe that you won't give details of how you came to this figure because you'd be boring members, because they're intelligent enough to see that there really aren't any 'details' to reveal, and that working in statistics/ correlation doesn't give you the magical power of knowing what each player earns.

I might well go to the pub for a really good laugh with my mates. Anyway, I'm out of this now, unless you can come up with the components (which there have to be) of this £2.6m figure. It's not 'stalking' to challenge another poster's claims.

pay levels are never irrelevant -   a friend has a terminal illness - he lost his job because of this now may lose his home -  that's a real problem .   you asked three questions and I answered them.  You then regurgitated the same question with demands I back up an opinion and stating I was being sarcastic about young players - mason Bennett made his debut for Derby in 2011.  he has a new contract when it finishes he will have been here 10 years and hardly played he has far more games on loan than here  - fact .  callum guy has been at port vale and Bradford he has shown he is capable league one player- fact .  elsnik looked ok in the appearances he made last year but certainly not ready to play a whole season in the championship - he is in and out of a league 2 team - fact .   Lowe looks a handy player -  he has had more hamstring problems than a player twice his - baird as an example in a similar position - fact .    none of these players give the immediate impact to the first team that huddlestone, hendrick or hughes did   this is shown by the fact they deemed good enough to be in the first team without the need to go out on loan - fact .  2.6 million is what I RECKON read the words we will save in the next balance sheet based on the average championship wage for the top 8 teams in the division and the fact the average championship annual expenditure on admin,catering and other staff is less than 10per cent of expenditure .   I now suggest you stop bothering me with this drivel as I have a life to lead

41 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

pay levels are never irrelevant -   a friend has a terminal illness - he lost his job because of this now may lose his home -  that's a real problem .   you asked three questions and I answered them.  You then regurgitated the same question with demands I back up an opinion and stating I was being sarcastic about young players - mason Bennett made his debut for Derby in 2011.  he has a new contract when it finishes he will have been here 10 years and hardly played he has far more games on loan than here  - fact .  callum guy has been at port vale and Bradford he has shown he is capable league one player- fact .  elsnik looked ok in the appearances he made last year but certainly not ready to play a whole season in the championship - he is in and out of a league 2 team - fact .   Lowe looks a handy player -  he has had more hamstring problems than a player twice his - baird as an example in a similar position - fact .    none of these players give the immediate impact to the first team that huddlestone, hendrick or hughes did   this is shown by the fact they deemed good enough to be in the first team without the need to go out on loan - fact .  2.6 million is what I RECKON read the words we will save in the next balance sheet based on the average championship wage for the top 8 teams in the division and the fact the average championship annual expenditure on admin,catering and other staff is less than 10per cent of expenditure .   I now suggest you stop bothering me with this drivel as I have a life to lead

I'll post whenever I like on this forum, thanks. Nobody's forcing you to reply.

You've no idea how many first team games Mason might play in the remainder of his contract. Many on here (myself included) are of the opinion that if Will and Jeff had been at the stage of their developments , and in our current Academy,that they were when Nigel gave them their opportunities, then they wouldn't get first team opportunities, but would be farmed out on loan, because of our quest for promotion. Furthermore, if Nigel had the likes of Guy and Elsnik , instead of Will and Jeff, I reckon that he would have given both first team opportunities, because circumstances were far different then. I remember Nigel saying that he was going to give Jeff a run in the first team, yet Gary has said that youngsters need a run of games (quite rightly), and that we can't afford to do that without possibly prejudicing our promotion chances.

You have the gall to accuse me of drivel, and then come out with your statistical bunkum at the end of your post. Since when have averages over several clubs got any relevance to our own unique position? Why don't you get on to Wolves and tell them statistics show that they shouldn't be spending what they are on wages? How do your statistics explain our rise in wages in 16/17 - were you predicting a fall in wages for that year, and if not, why not? Talk about drivel.

Archived