Do we really want to go up this year???

ramsbottom

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

We are pretty much against the wall financially though aren't we? Claims that Mel has put a further £15m in this season to pay operating costs (I'm rubbish at financial things so may have misunderstood tbf)

As such I can't see us overhauling anything in the near future unless we do get promoted.

If we dont go up this season, I cant see the present squad improving on this year, so any serious intent of promotion next season is not realistic unless we bring in some quality loans,get lucky ( not the Derby way). Or Mel spends wisely.

If Mel is subbing the club by 15 mill ,he will not accept that as being sustainable for long,

9 hours ago, Lokidoki said:

I detect that a certain owner is now losing the thrill of running a pet football club and these are the first signs of his boredom.

I think this isn’t fair. 

More likely is that he’s realised that he’s already invested nearly £100m and even he knows that isn’t sustainable. 

I detect that a certain owner is now losing the thrill of running a pet football club and these are the first signs of his boredom.

He’s was only worth £500,000,000. He’s pumped in £100,000,000 already and is pumping in £15,000,000 a year. 

It’s not sustainable.

I do detect a impatience if we don’t do it this season with his recent protestations about it not being sustainable.  I mean Wolves have got it right why couldn’t we. 

46 minutes ago, curtains said:

I do detect a impatience if we don’t do it this season with his recent protestations about it not being sustainable.  I mean Wolves have got it right why couldn’t we. 

I don't detect impatience. Mel has pumped a fortune into the club and has probably realised that he was impatient before when he was either appointing or sacking managers and backing them with the signings they wanted. He has probably learnt from these mistakes and decided that we need to be more patient if we don't go up this season.

9 hours ago, ramblur said:

'I'd agree with your first paragraph, but would make the point that he (and Will) were allowed to develop into the players they became over a number of years. Circumstances allowed them to be given good runs when they first broke through, and they were allowed to make their mistakes and learn. Different circumstances also mean that our current crop of youngsters just don't get that same opportunity, so I'm not going to write anyone off that hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip.

It must be soul destroying for young players (our players) to have to keep coming back from injuries (but also showing guts and determination), but I'm sure they must find some solace in your encouraging sarcasm , just as you might in mine.

As far as the wages go, when comparing this year to 16/17, you've started with one major flaw. CM wasn't on our wage bill for most of 16/17, so rather than saving a half year's wages there, we gained one. As I'm feeling generous ( because we don't know what %age of his wages Burton are paying) I'll pair CM off with Benty, so they both disappear from your list. Again, being generous for a similar reason, I'll let you pair Shacks off with CJ. You could also pair JB off with Sam, so to then do a proper job we have to examine what's left.

On the incoming side you've got Curtis,Tomx2, AW and JL, and as  feisty pointed out there could be some high earners there, with them being on a full year's wage, or nearly. Now let's look at what's left of your list. You've got Will, Tom Ince, Camara, Bryson, Blackman and a half year of JR. Now show me where your great wage savings are. I find it too hard to call either way.

I reckon we will save 2.6 million on wages in the 17/18 financial  year . I won't bore you with details as you as I do statistics and correlation for a living and your boring enough for us both fella xx

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I reckon we will save 2.6 million on wages in the 17/18 financial  year . I won't bore you with details as you as I do statistics and correlation for a living and your boring enough for us both fella xx

@ramblur is anything but boring, he takes time out to explain things that are confusing to the likes of me and others for no reason than he wants to explain the situation as he reads it to fellow Rams.

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

So we'll save £2.6m when you don't know the actual wages of anyone, be it incoming or outgoing? If I'm boring, then you must be a right clown, or a 'Mystic Meg'.

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

sorry you woke me up .  just having some sleep after reading your last post

Did you manage to dream anything else up?

In answer to the original question; 'do we want to go up this year?'

No.  I think the best possible, and most enjoyable way of finishing the season is by losing in the play-off final to a ten man team, or losing 3-0 at home in the first leg of the play-offs. 

FFS!

I did enjoy Hull away though. Bloke fainted in from of me when the second went in and got interviewed on tele after the game.  I loved them that night. All silly and gushing.

On 09/04/2018 at 12:24, cannable said:

Go up, take the money, build for 18/19

as a purist it pains me to say it.... but the problem with the EPL and the problem with the difference between the EPL and the championship is the obscene money involved.

So yes take the money. Sad, but at least then we can compete with the Villas WBAs and Stokes of this world.

3 hours ago, ramblur said:

Did you manage to dream anything else up?

I've been to the pub mate to meet a couple of friends mate .  You should try it sometime instead of stalking me on here . Regarding sarcasm perhaps you should read your previous posts back . You asked me three questions - I answered them .   When you refer to guts and determination - that sort of description relates to real problems affecting real people .  not someone who earns in a year at the age of 18 or 19 what the average working person earns in 3 or 4  years and has a groin strain that will receive the best medical attention money can buy .  All my points are legitimate points  .  If you don't like it start a forum poll on how likely we are to get promoted with 4 or 5 untried youngsters in the team and you can argue with someone else instead.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I've been to the pub mate to meet a couple of friends mate

Obviously the beer talking then and whilst I agree with your comments about the insidious levels of payments these players get I think it's offensive to attack @ramblur as this guy has always been first to try and explain how this businesses' (DCFC) accounts are laid out. I also think it is not acceptable and almost Russian troll-like and ungracious  to attack fellow supporters in this way.

3 minutes ago, Lokidoki said:

Obviously the beer talking then and whilst I agree with your comments about the insidious levels of payments these players get I think it's offensive to attack @ramblur as this guy has always been first to try and explain how this businesses' (DCFC) accounts are laid out. I also think it is not acceptable and almost Russian troll-like and ungracious  to attack fellow supporters in this way.

I was asked three questions that I answered .   also only had three pints so not the beer talking. If he doesn't give me sarcastic grief I don't give it .  If anyone started this nonsense it wasn't me .

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

as a purist it pains me to say it.... but the problem with the EPL and the problem with the difference between the EPL and the championship is the obscene money involved.

So yes take the money. Sad, but at least then we can compete with the Villas WBAs and Stokes of this world.

The long term plan should be to compete with City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea etcetera.

If I owned Derby the first thing I’d do is appoint Nicola Cortese as CEO. 

The teams in the Premier League are badly run and ****. At the very least somebody can do a Tottenham.

Owning a football club is A bit like playing a fruit machine.

you put some money in, and pull the handle, watch all the lights flashing, 

put some more money in, and pull the handle again,...more lights, spinning wheels, a couple of bleeps

pull again....by now a few people watching think you must know how it works, 

more money....then you notice the hold buttons.....press a couple at random.....only one wheel spins....Nothing

pull again......just one hold button this time.....spin.....nothing.....

notice the nudge buttons.....give it a couple of nudges......nothing

put some more money in......by now those watching have rumbled that you don't really know what you're doing

someone comes over....."press the middle hold button".......pull the lever.......nothing

"stick another coin in"......"press the right hold"... Pull...."press nudge"...nothing

pull again......********......do you give up? No......its too embarrassing now.....one more go.....nothing

one more go....pull.......nothing.

one more go....pull......feck.

leave it. Wander off to the bar.......but now you've only got enough money for a half of lemonade

Some other bloke Sticks a couple of coins into the same machine....pulls the handle....nothing.....thank god

pulls again......flashing lights......bleep bleep bleep......kerching kerching kerching kerching kerching

If you want money, go to a cashpoint

If you want to feel like a miserable worthless wretch, buy a football club.

P.s. I'm not very good with buses either.

Spending big isn't a huge gamble if you get £89m for finishing bottom plus parachute payments.  Just make sure your players have resale value and maybe include a  incase it all goes wrong. Who's to say how hard it will be to get up next season, you have to think this league will get tougher and tougher as money comes in and the relegated teams with the means to buy their way out mount up.

3 minutes ago, Rample said:

Spending big isn't a huge gamble if you get £89m for finishing bottom plus parachute payments.  Just make sure your players have resale value and maybe include a  incase it all goes wrong. Who's to say how hard it will be to get up next season, you have to think this league will get tougher and tougher as money comes in and the relegated teams with the means to buy their way out mount up.

This has been said for years but there equally seems to be teams coming down who have effectively pre-spent their parachute payments and have crap squads. At the end of this season could be West Brom, Stoke and either palace or Swansea. None of these should be striking terror into championship teams.

Archived