Do we really want to go up this year???

ramsbottom

Irrespective of going up this season,if we dont the team will need over hauling anyway if we are to challenge for promotion next season. The squad all ready has half the team with one foot in the grave for retirement arent going to be any better next season. So best thing would be to get promoted and rebuild for premiership with decent money ,rather than rebuilding to compete in the championship.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Irrespective of going up this season,if we dont the team will need over hauling anyway if we are to challenge for promotion next season. The squad all ready has half the team with one foot in the grave for retirement arent going to be any better next season. So best thing would be to get promoted and rebuild for premiership with decent money ,rather than rebuilding to compete in the championship.

We are pretty much against the wall financially though aren't we? Claims that Mel has put a further £15m in this season to pay operating costs (I'm rubbish at financial things so may have misunderstood tbf)

As such I can't see us overhauling anything in the near future unless we do get promoted.

If this group of players get promoted to the prem then they deserve the chance to compete in it I'm not a fan of replacing the team with over priced mercenaries. Would be happy with a sprinkling of quality and if we come back down so be it. I want us to go up otherwise why are we bothering at all.

Just now, Topram said:

100% think the standard this year is poor, good chance to go up... Stoke West Brom and maybe Southampton it’ll make next year a lot tougher 

This same cliche gets said every single season!!!

We simply don't have the budget for any movement of any kind next year if we stay down. I would say that's the biggest issue for me. If we get promoted then we don't have to worry about FFP and we will have room in the budget to improve. Unfortunately, I think staying down means that we need to make another profit in the transfer window with very few sellable assets at high value.

Promotion this season stops us becoming another team like Ipswich, Nottingham Forest,etc. 

If we go up and Mel chooses for us to have a go then be under no illusions that most of the money generated will go on wages and acquisitions. I dont think he will do that. I would expect a season of desperately trying to stay up whilst fully expecting to come down. At least that way we will be sorted financially to build and go again with a side more capable of staying up.

No,

It would be nice to think that when we go down we'd be in a better position with parachute payments and no FFP to worry about.

The reality is though that we'll spunk millions on rubbish and end up like Sunderland.

I quite like the cut and thrust of the Championship and wondering whether we will get promotion or not. Notwithstanding that, the answer has to be that promotion has to be the aim and the money that comes with it

Yes

And pretty much rebuild the entire team in the summer with better quality - keep Vydra and Carson I actually think some of the players we have like Lawrence would develop in the prem but defence would need a total overhaul, none of them are good enough for the prem.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

From a purely selfish perspective I would like us to get promoted so we can afford to bring in some decent players and we can see some different teams, many of whom will contain world class footballers.

Nothing selfish about that at all!!! That's the dream, surely :thumbsup:

58 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

We are pretty much against the wall financially though aren't we? Claims that Mel has put a further £15m in this season to pay operating costs (I'm rubbish at financial things so may have misunderstood tbf)

As such I can't see us overhauling anything in the near future unless we do get promoted.

He's apparently lumped in £98 million to date - boooooo Mel, just boooooooo!

50 minutes ago, Topram said:

100% think the standard this year is poor, good chance to go up... Stoke West Brom and maybe Southampton it’ll make next year a lot tougher 

Yeah, those Wolves and Fulham squads are rubbish...

28 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

If we go up and Mel chooses for us to have a go then be under no illusions that most of the money generated will go on wages and acquisitions. I dont think he will do that. I would expect a season of desperately trying to stay up whilst fully expecting to come down. At least that way we will be sorted financially to build and go again with a side more capable of staying up.

It's an uncomfortable truth but there's a deal of logic to your argument. Given the level of investment Mel's already made, it'd be churlish to expect anything more. That said, we can dream, right? :)

7 hours ago, maxjam said:

Was thinking about this myself a few weeks ago, of the list you put forwards I'd knock everyone off bar Carson - for the Prem I'd have Wisdom as backup, Ledley and Huddlestone wouldn't have the legs for a full season and Vydra maybe if he had quality around him,

I'd love us to go up, but we'd need an entirely new first team.

I wonder what Burnley, Brighton and maybe even Huddersfield fans were thinking before they went up. I hate posts like this (no offence), because you can never tell. I remember our first game (a 0-0 home draw against Burnley) in the 1st Division under BC,when we all went away thinking we might be ok (and look what eventually happened in that season). Most of the constituent parts of that team that thrived at the top level were members of a 2nd Division team that struggled a bit before the arrival of Carlin.

Of course we should want to go up, as long as we spent wisely in that first season. Even if we were to be relegated, we'd be boarding the massive parachute payment gravy train.

54 minutes ago, curb said:

No,

It would be nice to think that when we go down we'd be in a better position with parachute payments and no FFP to worry about.

The reality is though that we'll spunk millions on rubbish and end up like Sunderland.

I'm going to play devils advocate here, but surely you can't trust Rowett in that case? In theory you don't want promotion because you believe that he will spend poorly and we will be much worse off for it. 

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

Of course! Playing in and then establishing ourselves in the Premiership is the dream. If it doesn't work out, we wipe our mouths and go again. At least we'll be doing so having coined in £100M + with some fairly hefty parachute payments to bolster our efforts .

Frankly, if this isn't the dream, what is? We have a chance right now and I'd be focussing purely on converting that opportunity. We can worry about strengthening the squad once we've crushed Cardiff at Wembley and have the money to do so. That, to me, would be a lovely problem to have.

Wonder if that 100m will have a hefty hole knocked into it by the promotion clauses some of the squad may have courtesy of Sam /Wasserman......:lol:

(Allegedly, speculatively and with no basis in fact)

1 minute ago, ramblur said:

I wonder what Burnley, Brighton and maybe even Huddersfield fans were thinking before they went up. I hate posts like this (no offence), because you can never tell. I remember our first game (a 0-0 home draw against Burnley) in the 1st Division under BC,when we all went away thinking we might be ok (and look what eventually happened in that season). Most of the constituent parts of that team that thrived at the top level were members of a 2nd Division team that struggled a bit before the arrival of Carlin.

Of course we should want to go up, as long as we spent wisely in that first season. Even if we were to be relegated, we'd be boarding the massive parachute payment gravy train.

No offence taken, as I said I would love us to go up :)

My concern is that Mel once said something along the lines of going up with the core of a squad we could build around whereas we have next to no one I'd play regularly in the Premiership at the moment.

If we don't get promoted this season (which is looking increasingly likely imo) and given the growing financial restraints, I'd love us to properly scout and invest in youth which would enable us to fulfill Mel's dream in a couple of seasons time.

If we do go up this season I can see us spending a fortune on mercenary players and sacking GR before Christmas.

22 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Go up and do worse than 07/08.....

i want to go up when we storm this league and go up as champions with a decent competitive team

The big difference between now and then is the owner. The LOG stated that we would not just be going up to make up the numbers and then failed to invest whilst looking for new owners so they could bang some money back into their wallets.

I wouldn't be shocked if Mel let somebody into the club to share the burden as long as they were willing to put money into the club to help build the squad, but don't think he will actively be looking to sell and I reckon he would give GR a decent amount of the money to try and build a team to compete.

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

The big difference between now and then is the owner. The LOG stated that we would not just be going up to make up the numbers and then failed to invest whilst looking for new owners so they could bang some money back into their wallets.

I wouldn't be shocked if Mel let somebody into the club to share the burden as long as they were willing to put money into the club to help build the squad, but don't think he will actively be looking to sell and I reckon he would give GR a decent amount of the money to try and build a team to compete.

One thing for certain, we couldn't do worse than 07/08. Like quite a few other posters, I wouldn't want promotion for promotions sake. Battling relegation year after year is not an attractive option. To have a decent chance a club must start to build properly during the promotion season and finish the build in the summer. It won't be this season for us, but next season may be the start of the rebuild, with Mel suggesting that it the academy will now be providing the new blood to the 1st team. 

Archived