Thoughts on Lawrence so far

Sparkle

40 minutes ago, Hinzy9 said:

Ince scored 11 in his first 18 matches

Lawrence has none in his first 14

Says it all really. Starting to look like another massive waste of money. Hope I'm wrong though

Maybe the problem is that it’s an unfair comparison in the first place? Lawrence’s main job is assists, not goals, and he’s got a few (or at the very least had an important contribution to set up a goal). Also Ince came here in completely different circumstances. 

His problems are mainly that his partnership with Forsyth isn’t really working. Partly because they want to occupy a similar attacking space and partly because Lawrence can’t defend positionally very well. It’s also a little because the other attacking areas of the pitch he tried to get into are occupied by Vydra/Winnall, so often finds himself in no mans land. It’s no coincidence that Lawrence finds more time and space with Martin on the pitch because he gives Lawrence more space. He will be fine though, just needs to find an extra gear 

Funny how we try and slam everyone after a defeat but barely a whisper when you are winning, eh *directed at the forum in general and not the quote, sorry!*

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

Maybe the problem is that it’s an unfair comparison in the first place? Lawrence’s main job is assists, not goals, and he’s got a few (or at the very least had an important contribution to set up a goal). Also Ince came here in completely different circumstances. 

His problems are mainly that his partnership with Forsyth isn’t really working. Partly because they want to occupy a similar attacking space and partly because Lawrence can’t defend positionally very well. It’s also a little because the other attacking areas of the pitch he tried to get into are occupied by Vydra/Winnall, so often finds himself in no mans land. It’s no coincidence that Lawrence finds more time and space with Martin on the pitch because he gives Lawrence more space. He will be fine though, just needs to find an extra gear 

Funny how we try and slam everyone after a defeat but barely a whisper when you are winning, eh

Agreed. There is no comparison with Ince. A different player playing a different role in a different team with a different tactical approach.

That said, aside from the Hull game, I have been disappointed by Lawrence. He is far too weak on the ball, and as noted above shows litle desire for 50/50s. He's fallen into the trap of not getting the basics right before trying the fancy stuff, but that's maybe a sign of a player trying too hard to make an impact.

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

Why? I would hope that any criticism he gets on here he is getting similar from the manager.

You'd expect so.

Gary invested effort into recruiting him - wasn't he stated to have been our top priority target this summer?

Presumably Gary had worked out how Tom lawrence was going to work in his system before pursuing him.

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Gary invested effort into recruiting him - wasn't he stated to have been our top priority target this summer?

Presumably Gary had worked out how Tom lawrence was going to work in his system before pursuing him.

Makes you wonder?!

I think he'd do better with someone like Martin up front. But then I think Derby would do better with someone like Martin up front! :ph34r:

Be interesting to see how he looks for Wales if he plays.

Wow!  I was thinking Lawrence's lack of impact so far, compared to Ince's, was perhaps due to a lack of games.  But having googled both of them, the stats are - 

Ince - 127 games prior to signing

Lawrence - 107 games prior to signing

So that theory is out the window.  I guess we need to lower our expectations for the time being and appreciate what a great player Ince is.  Also, because of the fees being bandied around this season have become ludicrous, what we payed for him has also raised expectation, . If we'd bought him last season he'd have been £2.5-3m.  

There's glimmers of the player he could be, just think he's trying to do too much at the moment, he'll relax once he's bagged a couple...

15 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Pretty sure that somewhere out there is a similar type of player for about a tenth of the cost. 

There are. In this league. Signed in the same window in which we spent big money on Lawrence. 

15 hours ago, europia said:

I wish we had used the cash to buy someone like Jota

Weird example that one, because Jota has been underperforming in a similar way to Lawrence. No goals this season and only a couple of assists. 

4 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Let's get off the lads back and give him a chance

he the future - an investment

need this - can't be Dads army all the time

give the lad a break - he will score soon and will be an asset

Exactly. Lawrence is the new Vydra. And Vydra has (eventually) come good. 

He strikes me as a slightly more skilled version of Russell to be honest.

That's not a bad thing, as rowett loves JR and a JR+ is why he was the one he really wanted in the summer.

Tom Ince-a-like he is not. So if we're judging him on that basis, yeah, not so great. Judged on what he is, id give him a solid "C", does work hard but needs to do a little more to get the top grades.

20 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Plays with his head down. He looks like he is doing his own commentary.

”Lawrence takes it round one, then another, then.... oh bugger”.

He needs to gain greater awareness of those around him so he can play the simple ball and not lose it.

He’s young and talented. He’ll get there.

I actually used to play with a guy In Bristol, who did just that ("ohh...Lee Jones...scores..."). He kept up a constant running commentary as he tussled with you for the ball; whenever he got near you in training. Needless to say, he scored a few as many defenders creased up laughing to hear him.   

15 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

He appears to be suffering from a lack of confidence.

Earlier in the season I was quite encouraged.  He looked like he's got something.

but at the moment it would appear he's just got worse...

I think he is just mentally exhausted at the moment having had a lot of high-stress life-events in the past couple of months (plays for Wales and scores the winner, transfers to derby for high fee, yet to score). He is still very young and relatively immature. I would not drop him, but recognize his need for a break. I would suggest he takes 2 weeks off now, and goes for a short break and just forgets football for now. He'll come back mentally re-energized and ready to go.   

7 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I think he is just mentally exhausted at the moment having had a lot of high-stress life-events in the past couple of months (plays for Wales and scores the winner, transfers to derby for high fee, yet to score). He is still very young and relatively immature. I would not drop him, but recognize his need for a break. I would suggest he takes 2 weeks off now, and goes for a short break and just forgets football for now. He'll come back mentally re-energized and ready to go.   

Is he not in the Wales squad?

20 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Not as good, and will never be as good as tom ince. Huge downgrade, all tricks and no end product- weak on the ball too, like a welsh abdoul camara. Hope it improves for him but at the moment I have more hope when David Nugent shapes up to cross than I do him. Not that he could do anything yesterday mind you, we were well beaten.

Welsh Aboul Camara...thankyou for making me spit a pint everywhere!

It's strange how both this and the other Tom Lawrence thread have both come after Saturdays performance. Remember, not one of first 11 had a good game.

He is no Ince, but there is a reason why Ince is now in the prem. Lawrence has not been that bad, but because he is Ince's ''replacement'', he has a lot of weight and expectations on him. He has been really unlucky in terms of goals, hitting the woodwork and having some shots well saved. It will come with him, I am sure of it.

We need to let our flair players play, give them confidence to do their thing.  

Think we are making to much about him scoring He's had 123 league appearances and scored 17league goals so he's unlikely to ever be prolific Having said that he's been a disappointment so far seems short on confidence I'm not convinced GR is playing him right expecting him to defend that's not his game McCarthy didn't have him doing it at Ipswich he gave him licence to move in the middle The same as Chris Coleman does 

Archived