Thoughts on Lawrence so far

Sparkle

How Do people think he is doing?

for me there are promising signs without delivering a great deal so far, I think most of his corners have been decent (apart from yesterday) his free kicks have been fairly dreadful and his shooting has not exactly been overwhelming, he has had at least two one on ones with the keeper in the last two games at home without looking like he would score. Is he slipping back in line with some of the other choices for a wide positions?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He looks very flashy and isn't afraid to run at his man, which seems to have won over a few posters on here regardless of what he achieves afterwards.

I personally think he's got something and will definitely come good but he's just completely shot on confidence at the moment. His crossing and finishing has been abysmal. Drop him for Weimann or Jonson for a few games, let him forget about his misses and let him start again in a few games time when one of those two slip up.

Plays with his head down. He looks like he is doing his own commentary.

”Lawrence takes it round one, then another, then.... oh bugger”.

He needs to gain greater awareness of those around him so he can play the simple ball and not lose it.

He’s young and talented. He’ll get there.

To me, he looks like he's under pressure. Could be something to do with the price tag, and the fact that he's come in to replace Ince.

I certainly don't think dropping him will do any favours. Better to let him play his way into the form we know he's capable of. Dropping him could just wreck his form even more. 

Not as good, and will never be as good as tom ince. Huge downgrade, all tricks and no end product- weak on the ball too, like a welsh abdoul camara. Hope it improves for him but at the moment I have more hope when David Nugent shapes up to cross than I do him. Not that he could do anything yesterday mind you, we were well beaten.

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I certainly don't think dropping him will do any favours. Better to let him play his way into the form we know he's capable of. Dropping him could just wreck his form even more. 

Usually the opposite happens. You drop them to give them time to reset their mindset, which footballers being competitors do. Playing him with the logic that 'eventually one will go in' isn't usually very effective and hurts the team for the period that he's struggling. It also sending the horrible message that a player is undroppable, which is something you don't want to foster at your club unless the player is truly undroppable ie Messi.

1 minute ago, lrm14 said:

Usually the opposite happens. You drop them to give them time to reset their mindset, which footballers being competitors do. Playing him with the logic that 'eventually one will go in' isn't usually very effective and hurts the team for the period that he's struggling. It also sending the horrible message that a player is undroppable, which is something you don't want to foster at your club unless the player is truly undroppable ie Messi.

Well, we've won four from our last five, so I didn't think the team is being hurt too much by Lawrence not scoring.

People seem to be making it out like he's playing really badly. He isn't. He's just not managed to score and is giving the ball away a bit more over the last 2/3 games than he has in others. I'd rather have Tom Lawrence in the team with this form than the likes of Weimann or Anya, who manage to affect the game in absolutely no way. 

First game aside not been impressed with him at all.

Loses the ball too easily and his work rate is pretty poor.

Seen lots of posts talking about him showing glimpses and his great potential but personally I've not seen anything.

To be fair the above is based on home matches only so it may be harsh on him.

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Well, we've won four from our last five, so I didn't think the team is being hurt too much by Lawrence not scoring.

People seem to be making it out like he's playing really badly. He isn't. He's just not managed to score and is giving the ball away a bit more over the last 2/3 games than he has in others. I'd rather have Tom Lawrence in the team with this form than the likes of Weimann or Anya, who manage to affect the game in absolutely no way. 

Lawrence has been fairly poor recently and was one of the worst performers yesterday. Not dropping him while dropping our top scorer Vydra, Russell, Weimann, Forsyth and Johnson at different stages of the season after they had some poor performances is an absolutely dreadful message to send to the rest of the squad.

Edit - We've got results recently but not played particularly well, which Rowett himself has admitted.

I thought we'd found a replacement for Ince re: set pieces.  But he's become inconsistent - some corners yesterday didn't beat the first man - that's a basic.  I really want him to succeed but he looks like the pressure's getting to him.  So maybe give him a rest.

Needs a goal. Got into some very good positions yesterday but lacked conviction. His corners were poor yesterday however we should have scored from at least one of them. The way he hits the ball (to get dip and swerve) isn’t as easy to do as just to chip it in so I personally don’t mind a few poor ones if they are interspersed with really dangerous corners. Whilst not hitting inces level yet I’ve seen enough to think he will come good. Admittedly dropping him at the moment might help him but I can’t see anyone who might be better ready to bring in. 

11 minutes ago, Kirkbyram said:

Needs a goal. Got into some very good positions yesterday but lacked conviction. His corners were poor yesterday however we should have scored from at least one of them. The way he hits the ball (to get dip and swerve) isn’t as easy to do as just to chip it in so I personally don’t mind a few poor ones if they are interspersed with really dangerous corners. Whilst not hitting inces level yet I’ve seen enough to think he will come good. Admittedly dropping him at the moment might help him but I can’t see anyone who might be better ready to bring in. 

Just stick Johnson there. He was very effective wide left in the last few games and we could just bring Thorne into the center. 

Archived