Thoughts on Lawrence so far

Sparkle

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rynny said:

Was a genuine question as I have not seen any mention of a call up for him or Ledley?

Both got called up yes but not seen if Ledley been withdrawn due injury though or maybe continue recovery with Wales medical team? 

5 hours ago, Coconut said:

Agreed. There is no comparison with Ince. A different player playing a different role in a different team with a different tactical approach.

That said, aside from the Hull game, I have been disappointed by Lawrence. He is far too weak on the ball, and as noted above shows litle desire for 50/50s. He's fallen into the trap of not getting the basics right before trying the fancy stuff, but that's maybe a sign of a player trying too hard to make an impact.

Oh aye, he’s defo not doing the basics. There is a lot more that he needs to be doing to help himself. I mentioned this on Saturday but not having a meaningful run at Gunter, who was on a booking, is near on unforgivable. I would have subbed him for that alone personally and given a Clough style dressing down in my post match interview.

But on the flip side, I don’t feel like slaying him too much at the present time. He had a shocker Saturday but people are soon to forget he got the penalty at Leeds last Tuesday. To me he’s struggling because Forsyth’s attacking takes his space down the wing, but Winnall/Vydra occupy his space in the box which is making him limited. It’s a learning curve I guess 

1 minute ago, DEL said:

Both got called up yes but not seen if Ledley been withdrawn due injury though or maybe continue recovery with Wales medical team? 

Just searched it, and no news that he has withdrawn ,just Johnny Williams.

Just now, rynny said:

Was a genuine question as I have not seen any mention of a call up for him or Ledley?

Yes, I understand it's a genuine question @rynny. Both he and Ledley were called up. When I saw TL pre-match Saturday I thought he looked tense and ashen. I don't believe he's enjoying it so much at the moment. Young lad with a weight on his shoulders; he's a quiet boy in contrast to other members of the squad. 

• 3 weeks later...

The prat who does the announcing needed a kick to the gonads after Lawrence scored.

I don't know if anybody else noticed, but he announced a QPR substitution straight after the goal and then said something along the lines of "and Derby's goal scorer, finally, Tom Lawrence"

Players are under enough pressure without the announcer letting them know that it's about time they scored a goal.

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

The prat who does the announcing needed a kick to the gonads after Lawrence scored.

I don't know if anybody else noticed, but he announced a QPR substitution straight after the goal and then said something along the lines of "and Derby's goal scorer, finally, Tom Lawrence"

Players are under enough pressure without the announcer letting them know that it's about time they scored a goal.

Totally agree. I thought I'd misheard him, but you just confirmed I didn't.

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I didn't take it as a dig at Lawrence at all, I thought he was just referring to the fact he'd done the sub announcement before the goal announcement. 

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Jesus christ, are you really looking into something that much!!

I very much doubt that Tom was listening to anything he was saying and I'm sure that him saying that will have really p**sed him off 

Get a grip. 

Just now, JoeDerby said:

Jesus christ, are you really looking into something that much!!

I very much doubt that Tom was listening to anything he was saying and I'm sure that him saying that will have really p**sed him off 

Get a grip. 

I wasn't looking into it that much at all and I don't normally listen to the announcements, but I heard that last night and just thought it was a crap way of saying it. And how do you know my name?

3 hours ago, David said:

Nice to see Lawrence on the scoresheet and get rid of that monkey last night. 

Was never going to be a tap in was it. 

Could have had a hattrick last night. He was trying to walk the ball in for one of them. Nice to see him look more confident, had 2 defenders on toast in the SE corner.

Archived