Barnsley v Derby County

Leicester Ram

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

We didn't play the U23s though. Except for Bird, the entire team were senior players with the vast majority in our match-day squad most weeks. Part of being a manager is managing your squad. I'd much prefer players to be given game time and chances to impress in these sort of games.

Some are saying we should have made changes but not all eleven players. Where is the line drawn? If you're happy to change five, why not six? Then why not seven? I could carry on but would agree with a point made earlier that having a mixture of players keeping their place and changes isn't going to make any difference to momentum or confidence, if anything it'll make it worse.

We've used our squad and put out a decent side and it simply hasn't worked tonight. It's one of those things and these things happen. After some initial five-minute meltdowns by some, it seems to have calmed down a bit.

We lost a cup game to a Championship team. We've done a fair bit worse in previous years. Hopefully we'll continue where we left off in the league on Saturday and this result will become largely irrelevant.

Like stated earlier, I'm not overly dissatisfied with the result, I didn't expect a win, it's not the end of the world. I never said we played the under 23's, and yet I don't think the squad out there would do very well in the Championship. I think the right team would have been a balance of first teamers and reserves, it probably would have been the right balance to play. 

This is where we differ, I believe picking a team to get through the round is more important than rotation. I can't say I would ever put a side out with 11 changes, I think it's excessive, I don't think it's great for fans that may have traveled and I don't think a cup run hurts. 

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playing Thorne - great decision 

Playing 3 youth plus Mitch - great decision

not risking the 11 that crushed Hull - great decision 

giving the bench players a game - great decision

Rowett learned a lot about his playing staff tonight. Onwards and upwards, roll on Saturday!

3 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Rowett learned a lot about his playing staff tonight. Onwards and upwards, roll on Saturday!

Going to Barnsley - bad decision 

14 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The fact that Thorne made it to the end of the game is a huge plus point that seems to be being lost tonight. 

Given that Barnsley or us would inevitably lose to Spurs reserves next week, the only things I'm taking away are positives, and this is the key one.

Gorgeous George is back. Like a £10m signing in this market. :)

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Totally agree with this post, loving the new positive Ninos, nice to know you are behind Mr Rowett and the team, I think resting our first 11 will prove very positive come 16:55, when we come away from Bristol with all 3 points.

1 minute ago, needles said:

Given that Barnsley or us would inevitably lose to Spurs reserves next week, the only things I'm taking away are positives, and this is the key one.

Gorgeous George is back. Like a £10m signing in this market. :)

Win our game in hand and we're in the play offs.:p

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You make it sound like we've put a team of 10 year olds out. Do I really need to go through each player that played tonight and list their experience.

What I make it sound like is a disjointed team short on march sharpness and cohesiveness playing against a team who plays in the same league as us who fielded more of their first team players. 

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Last week the brown stuff was hitting the fan when Kieftenbeld signing fell through because it meant we had no depth in the squad, now we want players playing every game?

I've already said I would have rested players. I would have dropped Huddlestone and played Johnson. Moderation!

Besides, if we had lost to Grimsby we'd have had a league game to play and all of the first team would have played.

13 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Best post you have written,

7 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

The only comment I'd make is did GR think that the team he sent out would be good enough to beat Barnsley away. Winning is a good habit to get into. 

Seven players of that side have reached the play-offs with us. Another has reached the play-offs with another side.

I don't think the strength of the side was wrong. I didn't watch it but from what I've read and heard, it seemed quite even with both sides having good spells. We just happened to lose this game. I think GR will be disappointed that we lost the game but overall conclusions from the game will include a good amount of positives.

We have 2 midfielders who are fully fit in Johnson and Huddlestone. We had to see what state our back up to those positions is in.

I recall the absolute outrage when Thorne got picked in the so called meaningless Ipswich match... Yet I am certain if Johnson had started tonight and got injured, Rowett would have endured abuse.

I am sure if Rowett had the squad size he wants there would have been less changes. Rowett has a lot of players who aren't getting match football who may well need to feel they have a chance. You never know, might just be good for squad relations.

The rate this is going some of you would moan at winning the lottery jackpot and having to go out to claim it.

Just back. Not too far is Barnsley.

A lot of changes but justifiable in my view and certainly a strong side on paper. Unfortunately not many pushed the manager to get into the first eleven on Saturday.  Johnny Russell was my motm for us - good goal, constant effort, covering, tackling back, good on the ball. His corners weren't so good but I'll allow him that. Andre too was in good form and I thought Mason had a good game.

Max Bird struggled for 15/20 minutes - no criticism, just an observation - but he stuck at it and got into the game, especially in the second half. He's a good player that lad and when his legs get stronger he'll be even better (think John McGovern for the older ones amongst you). Good debut. I liked the look of Callum Guy too. He'll do well if he sticks at it.

Of the rest, George was patchy and understandably so - great pass in the second goal move but Barnsley's movement in the first 20 minutes had him floundering a bit unsurprisingly. He too grew into it and was better second half. Anya tried hard but was knackered after 60 minutes. I feel for the guy. He's had practically no football this season; Fozzy looked more like himself bar a couple of lapses in the first half; Pearce and Shackell were steady; Mitchell was Ok - didn't really make any saves of note despite letting three in

I would have thought that GR will be unhappy with all 3 of Barnsley's goals. First from a corner, second from a kick from Mitchell which Anya didn't challenge for in their half because he was offside and let go and the third right at the end from a corner - we switched off apart from Callum Guy, and let two of them work a short corner which lead to a long range shot into the bottom corner.

Not a game to live long in the memory unless Bird and Guy go onto great things, in which case I saw them make their debuts. We could have won, did better in the second half, switched off twice at the end. Ho hum. 

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Seven players of that side have reached the play-offs with us. Another has reached the play-offs with another side.

I don't think the strength of the side was wrong. 

If we had been playing Barnsley away in the league do you think we would have seen the same line up 

2 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

We have 2 midfielders who are fully fit in Johnson and Huddlestone. We had to see what state our back up to those positions is in.

I recall the absolute outrage when Thorne got picked in the so called meaningless Ipswich match... Yet I am certain if Johnson had started tonight and got injured, Rowett would have endured abuse.

I am sure if Rowett had the squad size he wants there would have been less changes. Rowett has a lot of players who aren't getting match football who may well need to feel they have a chance. You never know, might just be good for squad relations.

The rate this is going some of you would moan at winning the lottery jackpot and having to go out to claim it.

We didn't win anything though, did we? 

It's a valid criticism, I don't hear anyone who is ''outraged'' however I will be critical on the result, as I don't believe the team was the correct one. Don't overstate this, a couple of people say we should have played a few more first teamers, I don't see this ''absolute outrage'' you're citing. 

FYI, I didn't criticise Wassall for picking Thorne vs Ipswich, I believed it to be the right move, and I still do. 

1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

If we had been playing Barnsley away in the league do you think we would have seen the same line up 

Of course not.

I could understand some of the reactions if it had been. GR used it as an opportunity to learn more about his squad in a proper match scenario with no points at stake. Hopefully he took some important knowledge from the game despite the defeat.

Just now, Kernow said:

Of course not.

I could understand some of the reactions if it had been. GR used it as an opportunity to learn more about his squad in a proper match scenario with no points at stake. Hopefully he took some important knowledge from the game despite the defeat.

I'm just of the opinion that winning is a good habit to get into regardless of whether it's the league or the cup, go out and try to win every game you play in. The criticism quite rightly follows if you try and field a weakened team but a defeat ensues.

Archived