Barnsley v Derby County

Leicester Ram

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Can I just make the point, wed have been beaten by Spurs reserve side (most likely), its not like its a chance to see us take on a top top team and London smells of urine,weed, diesel fumes and there is dirt everywhere. In short its like the crap bits of Nottingham condensed then infested with hipsters and seasoned with tourists who think its all effing amazing.

(Never liked London and there for work the next few weeks - hopefully make it to Brentford)

Weather forecast for next Tuesday is cloudy, a grey day at a very empty Wembley, and who can be bothered with the dirty London Underground and being surrounded by thousands of miserable spivs, before and after being ripped off in the pubs with all their warm beer. Even Barnsley might opt to stay at home instead.

Up The Rams.

14 minutes ago, McLovin said:

It's difficult isn't it? I probably would have changed about 4 or 5 of them. I would have definitely given Carson, Huddlestone, Davies, Lawrence and Olsson the night off but played the others that played on Friday.

Would you say it's wise to play Johnson, who loves a silly yellow, in a relatively low priority game, considering we have limited cover there?

Not necessarily disagreeing with you or saying you're wrong but interested why you chose those five names?

I thought it was harsh of GR to single out Mitchell individually for his supposed poor game management, rare to hear a manager do that, especially to a relative youngster.

But then again, he is the manager, knows the player and his comments are for the best in the long run?

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I thought it was harsh of GR to single out Mitchell individually for his supposed poor game management, rare to hear a manager do that, especially to a relative youngster.

But then again, he is the manager, knows the player and his comments are for the best in the long run?

Thing is mate as with all these cases I'd say worse has been said to Mitchell.

I'd guess fans get the watered down version.

Fine margins perhaps.

two good goals from us.

good corner from them. Mitchell couldn't get near it.

For their second our defence was stretched....fozzy couldn't get back to cover shacks

a bit speechless tbh

12 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I don't think Rowett disrespected the competition or the opposition at all. He considers the league more important, I'd be appalled if he didn't. He made a decision to choose a side that he thinks will be beneficial for us going forward as a side. He played two possible players who can play in the holding role, probably the most important thing for him tonight. It would go a long way to making his mind up as to whether we go with Thorne and Bird or chuck £35k a week at Joe Ledley.

The game is moving on and that's basically all down to money. We're not the first team to rest players in this competition, won't be the last. It's the more traditional fans who believe you should play your strongest side in every game, and that's fair enough. I'm not knocking that belief. But it's the same people who believe Wembley should be for national games and cup finals only, yet we're now up in arms that they won't get to go there for the 3rd round of the League Cup... can't have it both ways.

I don't think we should field The  strongest team. I think we should show moderation and not name a completely different fooking eleven! How in a month of Sundays is that not disrespectful? The EFL trophy are even clamping down on this s**** doling out fines.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why should anyone pay the competition any respect? 

They had the third round draw in China at 4am.

Another competition structured to favour the big teams.

A third round tie being played at Wembley?

It doesn't deserve any respect. 

If they want it taking seriously then they should make sure the winners get a place in Europe rather than teams finishing 6th or 7th in the Premier League.

So don't enter it.

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Something something go back to Wigan or wherever?

46 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Seems like Rowett wanted to,lose. Why didn't we use all our subs.. And why wait til 81 mins to use any? 

Trouble is,anyone we brought on might well have had to play extra time as well.He obviously brought Callum on because he wanted to give him a chance,and I think he wants to continue to get Tom fully match fit.At the end of the day,we lost because of poor defending more than anything else.

Mind you,if we put in a damp squib performance at Bristol,I aint gonna be a happy camper.

Just now, StringerBell said:

I don't think we should field The  strongest team. I think we should show moderation and not name a completely different fooking eleven! How in a month of Sundays is that not disrespectful? The EFL trophy are even clamping down on this s**** doling out fines.

We hardly played a weak side though did we? My point is that most were pretty happy with the strength of this side before the game. Then the Captain Hindsight within kicks in and we shouldn't be rotating our squad. Our side tonight...

Mitchell - went to Euro U21s with England

Wisdom - bar one game, first choice RB.

Pearce & Shackell - both captained PL sides

Forsyth - experienced left back, some would argue best at the club

Thorne & Bird - needed to see how ready they are for first team football

Russell - solid and regular Championship winger

Anya - as above. Played in the PL.

Bennett - had a good pre-season, some were unhappy he didn't start vs Sunderland

Martin - one of the top goalscorers at this level over the past 3 or 4 seasons.

The changes were made, whether that was correct or not is your own opinion. But we didn't field a weak side. That in my opinion could beat Barnsley, it just didn't happen today. 

15 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

A part from Mitchell, Bennett, guy and Bird that team were all bought to play in the first team so not sure what your going on about. 

How about respect to our own players and giving them a chance. We hardly got bossed and was on top for most the game. It's not like they had 20 attempts and 14 shots on target, just scored from their three shots that were in target. I'd call that a bit unfortunate but certainly nothing to be crying about

You're not sure what I'm going on about? Do you think that they were all bought to play in the first team is more or less important than the fact that, Wisdom's illness aside - they are not in actuality currently being selected for the first team?

There are eleven players in a team and every single one was changed. If there were fifteen players in a football team would there have been fifteen changes? I'm guessing so.

There is a difference between resting some players and fielding your reserves.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

We hardly played a weak side though did we? My point is that most were pretty happy with the strength of this side before the game. Then the Captain Hindsight within kicks in and we shouldn't be rotating our squad. Our side tonight...

Mitchell - went to Euro U21s with England

Wisdom - bar one game, first choice RB.

Pearce & Shackell - both captained PL sides

Forsyth - experienced left back, some would argue best at the club

Thorne & Bird - needed to see how ready they are for first team football

Russell - solid and regular Championship winger

Anya - as above. Played in the PL.

Bennett - had a good pre-season, some were unhappy he didn't start vs Sunderland

Martin - one of the top goalscorers at this level over the past 3 or 4 seasons.

The changes were made, whether that was correct or not is your own opinion. But we didn't field a weak side. That in my opinion could beat Barnsley, it just didn't happen today. 

And yet, what's the chances of any apart from Wisdom starting on Saturday? I definitely think there is a solid case to say that one of our starting midfielders should have played alongside Thorne, and one of our starting CBs should be partnering either Shackell or Pearce. I can't say I expected a result from this team, so was pleasantly surprised it was so close, but I do feel we should have inserted 3-4 first teamers in. 

38 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I am sorry to interrupt this woefest, but might someone just let me know how Thorne and Bird played? Thanks awfully.

Thorne was pretty inconsistent. Clearly still one of the most intelligent players on the pitch, showed flashes but more often had moments where he looked like he hadn't played for 16 months. Looked fitter than I expected.

Bird was really tidy, very rarely gave the ball away. Don't really want to compare them because it's unfair to Bird but he's a similar type to Hughes. Doesn't have the confidence and vision Hughes showed in his early appearances though. Quite skinny and not up to much defensive battling/pressing. Fairly good for a debut but he's not going to be in the first team anytime soon.

FWIW Guy looked good in a cameo. Didn't see much of him on the ball but he's at least physically ready to play at this level.

*looks back at post* 

'Did I talk about the physical development of young men enough?'

Archived