Barnsley v Derby County

Leicester Ram

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

And yet, what's the chances of any apart from Wisdom starting on Saturday? I definitely think there is a solid case to say that one of our starting midfielders should have played alongside Thorne, and one of our starting CBs should be partnering either Shackell or Pearce. I can't say I expected a result from this team, so was pleasantly surprised it was so close, but I do feel we should have inserted 3-4 first teamers in. 

Exactly my thoughts. I was ok with resting some players but wanted at the very least Johnson in protecting the young lad, Keogh as we never look the same team without him and Vydra as he's scoring. 

Just now, StringerBell said:

Captain Hindsight @Kernow

Wasnt happy in the slightest.

I wasn't calling you Captain Hindsight. I just don't remember so many negative comments regarding the side before the game, and call me cynical, but I'd be very surprised if we had won 2-1 and there was anything more than a passing comment regarding the team selection.

If we win on Saturday then all will be forgotten, very few will care. If we lose then all fingers will point to this game. That's my one concern regarding resting players in the early rounds of the cup. If you lose, you open yourselves up for a lot of abuse.

Whatever the thoughts about the number of changes tonight,we shouldnt have lost tonight,and that is as much down to the manager than any of the players tonight.

Should we have had a few more 1st eleven in the team ? Probably.

Should we have mixed it up a bit after 60 mins ?? Probably.

Do i expect my team to lose against Barnsley?? Probably not.

Did Gr cost me £360 on an accumulater ?? Most definitely.

Well peed off

Just now, Kernow said:

I wasn't calling you Captain Hindsight. I just don't remember so many negative comments regarding the side before the game, and call me cynical, but I'd be very surprised if we had won 2-1 and there was anything more than a passing comment regarding the team selection.

If we win on Saturday then all will be forgotten, very few will care. If we lose then all fingers will point to this game. That's my one concern regarding resting players in the early rounds of the cup. If you lose, you open yourselves up for a lot of abuse.

I was pissed off but still at the office so not able to say much about it. Got what we deserved tbh.

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

There's always one rule for Manu.......

SAF withdrew from the FA cup to piss off the FA who made them play a meaningless game in south america in order to try and get a world cup.

actually united had such a big squad that they could have played in both 

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

11 changes was excessive after a 5-0 win and a chance to continue momentum in my opinion. But trust Gary's opinion 

Disagree in that if you change half the team you water down the momentum from Hull. By changing the entire team, the lads who take to the field on Saturday have just won 5-0 and will want to do the same again.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Seems like Rowett wanted to,lose. Why didn't we use all our subs.. And why wait til 81 mins to use any? 

31 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Only criticism I have tonight is of Rowett not freshening it up earlier. Were crying out for changes from the 60th onwards. Too concerned with getting minutes into legs. Disappointing but not the end of the world

This would be my criticism. I'm surprised we risked Thorne for the full 90 and with a whole team not used to playing 90 minutes and a lot of tired legs, you'd expect the minimum to be to make good use of all the subs.

I was keen to win and go back to Wembley (an easy journey for me) so I'm disappointed, but I was happy with the initial selection. Didn't quite work out.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Or use it to your advantage to bring through youngsters and get previously injured players fit.

Nobody is forcing fans to go if they are unhappy with it.

They're sending out team selection weeks in advance then? Why are people making out like making eleven changes is normal? It's excessive. 

11 changes, and we looked good in parts, important that Thorne and Forsythe got some minutes under there belts, great johnny got a goal, and some players got a run out as well, if we win at Bristol then it was a great decision by Mr Rowett to change the team, because our number 1 priority must be the league, also think Thorne will make the bench on Saturday, and Derby to win by 2 goals to 1, think we have a really strong squad this season, and think we will make the top 6 this season.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

No but it doesn't take a genius to work out that Rowett was likely to put out a changed team.

A change team, yes. Not a totally different one. A person could reasonably expect to see more first teamers out there than were started. 

You make it sound like we've put a team of 10 year olds out. Do I really need to go through each player that played tonight and list their experience.

Last week the brown stuff was hitting the fan when Kieftenbeld signing fell through because it meant we had no depth in the squad, now we want players playing every game?

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

A change team, yes. Not a totally different one. A person could reasonably expect to see more first teamers out there than were started. 

We didn't play the U23s though. Except for Bird, the entire team were senior players with the vast majority in our match-day squad most weeks. Part of being a manager is managing your squad. I'd much prefer players to be given game time and chances to impress in these sort of games.

Some are saying we should have made changes but not all eleven players. Where is the line drawn? If you're happy to change five, why not six? Then why not seven? I could carry on but would agree with a point made earlier that having a mixture of players keeping their place and changes isn't going to make any difference to momentum or confidence, if anything it'll make it worse.

We've used our squad and put out a decent side and it simply hasn't worked tonight. It's one of those things and these things happen. After some initial five-minute meltdowns by some, it seems to have calmed down a bit.

We lost a cup game to a Championship team. We've done a fair bit worse in previous years. Hopefully we'll continue where we left off in the league on Saturday and this result will become largely irrelevant.

It seems clear to me that Rowett had little interest progressing in the EFL Cup, but would have taken the win if it had come along.

He clearly has a first 11 in mind now, and this was an opportunity for everyone else to stake a claim to be in the first 18, and for some to get some competitive game time under their belts.  Rowett was being fair to the squad giving them all chances, but over the coming weeks (injuries permitting) we will see a pretty settled 18.

The fact that Thorne made it to the end of the game is a huge plus point that seems to be being lost tonight. 

I'm not sure if I agree with changing so many players or not , I can see the thinking behind it , Bristol city put in a good performance against a good side away from home whilst our probable starting eleven sat watching , who will that help the most us for being fresher or them for getting more game time in , do all our players need a rest this early in the season surely not , no excuses Saturday  not to put a shift in , hopefully it proves more beneficial to us .

Archived