Barnsley v Derby County

Leicester Ram

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

I'd be happy to go, and I would be glad we won it.  But if it meant another 5 years in the doldrums, would I think it was worth it?  Probably not.  At the end of the day, I'm not fussed one bit that we're not in the next round, whereas you are, the world would be a pretty dull place if we all agreed.

Loads on here say they are happy in the Championship and don't want promotion to the Premier League. 

I have heard It countless times. 

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there last night and thought it was a great game of cup football. I knew what I was paying my money for and I therefore wasn't disappointed.

Anyone who was overly surprised at the team selection hadn't been listening closely to Rowett's interviews over the last few days - he more or less told us what he was going to do. Would I have liked to see a few of the first team spine in there? Maybe but I think it was really important for Rowett to take a look at those players out there last night - when you think about it, three coming back from injury, three more from the under 23s, and of the rest, at least three needing minutes under their belt, I think he made the right decisions.

We did ride our luck defensively first half but looked bright going forward and could/should have put the match beyond reach in the second half.

That we faded towards the end is no surprise given the line-up and people recovering from injuries, but I do also think that it demonstrates why some of the personnel from that team aren't in the first team at the moment.

I would have loved a trip to Wembley next week but I'll live without it. I still stayed and clapped all the players off the field at the end - they all put in a shift in really filthy playing conditions.

We parked a little away from the ground, took the back route out of Barnsley and were home before 11!

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

Are you of that opinion???

No I am not but Angry has a point we have no guarantee that resting players will make them perform better for the game at Bristol and no guarantee we will get promoted.

A Cup run and going to Wembley to play Spurs would of been nice IMO so I'm not going to trot out those platitudes that always come out. 

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

I was there last night and thought it was a great game of cup football. I knew what I was paying my money for and I therefore wasn't disappointed.

Anyone who was overly surprised at the team selection hadn't been listening closely to Rowett's interviews over the last few days - he more or less told us what he was going to do. Would I have liked to see a few of the first team spine in there? Maybe but I think it was really important for Rowett to take a look at those players out there last night - when you think about it, three coming back from injury, three more from the under 23s, and of the rest, at least three needing minutes under their belt, I think he made the right decisions.

We did ride our luck defensively first half but looked bright going forward and could/should have put the match beyond reach in the second half.

That we faded towards the end is no surprise given the line-up and people recovering from injuries, but I do also think that it demonstrates why some of the personnel from that team aren't in the first team at the moment.

I would have loved a trip to Wembley next week but I'll live without it. I still stayed and clapped all the players off the field at the end - they all put in a shift in really filthy playing conditions.

We parked a little away from the ground, took the back route out of Barnsley and were home before 11!

Full fan 

Better than the rest of us. 

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

If we lose at Bristol City on Saturday it will have zilch to do with last night, as none of them played.

That's a very naive way to look at it. 

Bristol City got a very good point away at Wolves last night, their morale and momentum will be high going into the game on Saturday. 

We lost to Barnsley in the p*****g rain last night after a great win against Hull and lost all of out momentum, 11 changes or not. That was Rowetts decision rightly or wrongly. 

Weve seen it time and time again that resting players in a cup game to give them an "advantage" I.e freshness over a team who played their starting 11 midweek can often backfire because of momentum and that team having a week of no games and going in "cold 

i agree we should have made changes last night but perhaps not the entire 11! Make some necessary changes in positions we are light but keep the core of the squad together, winning breeds confidence!

Let's hope GW is more bothered that we lost than some of our own fans are , we're playing Bristol city on Saturday not Barcelona surely we could have mixed it up a bit more , surely as a football club we owe it to the fans to go for it in all competitive competitions and get as far as we can , I bet b4's not sat at home today thinking well at least some of the lads had a run out.

4 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Bristol City got a very good point away at Wolves last night, their morale and momentum will be high going into the game on Saturday. 

We lost to Barnsley in the p*****g rain last night after a great win against Hull and lost all of out momentum, 11 changes or not. That was Rowetts decision rightly or wrongly. 

Weve seen it time and time again that resting players in a cup game to give them an "advantage" I.e freshness over a team who played their starting 11 midweek can often backfire because of momentum and that team having a week of no games and going in "cold 

i agree we should have made changes last night but perhaps not the entire 11! Make some necessary changes in positions we are light but keep the core of the squad together, winning breeds confidence!

Why would their morale be high? A point away at Wolves is a really good result, but they took the lead in the 82nd minute and still didn't win the game. They'll be kicking themselves.

After Friday's showing, we should have kept the same eleven. If it was a Tuesday night league game like the rest of the division had, we would have.

You could argue that individually we had enough ability to win the game and I would agree if this team was playing on a regular basis, but that team was eleven players that are either playing their way back to fitness or into contention, so they were not as well equipped as the team who have played first team football for the majority of the season.

Our best chance of winning the game was by playing the same eleven from the previous game. Another chance for Vydra and Nugent to score goals, another chance for Lawrence to get minutes under his belt and acclimatise, another chance for Keogh and Davies to solidify their understanding. When you are winning games, you want to play as much as possible. After all, had we progressed, no chance were we playing Max Bird at Wembley versus any version of Spurs. 

Now I understand it if you are a club in the top 4 and you have three competitions to juggle before the new year or you are playing a club in League Two. In those cases, you can get away with it.

But we were playing another Championship club and we were playing for an excellent tie against a club who finished second in the top division last season and a trip to Wembley no less.

Rowett took a gamble and it failed. But if we win on Saturday, it'll be quickly forgotten about.

25 minutes ago, curtains said:

Full fan 

Better than the rest of us. 

On the contrary, Curtains - just an average supporter like many more on here but some were commenting last night how gutted they were for the fans who travelled to Barnsley.

I wanted to say that from my perspective that it wasn't a wholly negative experience! 

27 minutes ago, Derbados said:

What if we'd played a stronger team and still lost?

Winning last night wasn't a gimme, Rowett played a team he thought would win and they didn't. But that team included none who played Friday or who are likely to play Saturday. The players that have been playing league games won't really be affected.

I could look at last night as a game where Russell has gained confidence by scoring, Martin has shown signs of playing well again, Anya has created a goal, Bennett has continued his progress, Thorne has got minutes under his belt, Bird has impressed in his debut as a 16 year old, Forsyth has gained match fitness, and we've kept fringe players happy with game time.

Depends whether you want to moan or whether you want to try and see positives.

Just now, angieram said:

On the contrary, Curtains - just an average supporter like many more on here but some were commenting last night how gutted they were for the fans who travelled to Barnsley.

I wanted to say that from my perspective that it wasn't a wholly negative experience! 

Nice to get a reply. 

I don't think for one minute it would be a wholly negative experience as for one us Derby fans had the expectation of a win at Barnsley but it didn't turn out that way even though we lead twice in the game. 

The  Cup is really devalued now in many ways because the rich teams generally win the Cups but that doesn't mean as fans we shouldn't be disappointed at going out to Barnsley .

Derby fans turn out in there numbers for away games and for what it's worth I  going to Cardiff on the 30th and am looking forward to it .

Many Derby fans just want a decent day out and they want to back their team as I do but I hate losing games  

I get that Thorne and Bird did well and Chris Martin etc but i can't ever say I'm happy to go out the Cup .

Lets hope we beat Bristol on Saturday but if we don't and as long as we stay up it seems it doesn't matter to most Derby fans as they love the EFL Championship and don't like the Premier League anyway  

5 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Winning last night wasn't a gimme, Rowett played a team he thought would win and they didn't. But that team included none who played Friday or who are likely to play Saturday. The players that have been playing league games won't really be affected.

I could look at last night as a game where Russell has gained confidence by scoring, Martin has shown signs of playing well again, Anya has created a goal, Bennett has continued his progress, Thorne has got minutes under his belt, Bird has impressed in his debut as a 16 year old, Forsyth has gained match fitness, and we've kept fringe players happy with game time.

Positive performances one week don't guarantee positive performances the next.  

You are only as good as you're last win. 

31 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Fringe players could get game time in the U23's . their of course were some positives but for me one big negative , maybe I'm old school in my thoughts about winning games , it's not like we've got a overloaded of fixtures coming up.

For those who are unhappy with the changes as they believe we'll have lost all momentum, here's just a few results from the 2nd round of the cup. I only checked the Championship teams, but I'm sure there's plenty of examples from the other leagues as well.

The weekend before the set of 2nd round fixtures:

Wolves 1-2 Cardiff

Sheffield United 1-0 Barnsley

Bristol City 0-0 Millwall

The 2nd round fixtures:

Cardiff 1-2 Burton (Cardiff made 10 changes)

Sheffield United 1-4 Leicester (Sheff United made 8 changes)

Reading 3-1 Millwall (Millwall made 10 changes)

Results the weekend after the 2nd round fixtures:

Cardiff 2-1 QPR

Sheffield United 3-1 Derby

Millwall 4-0 Norwich

There's 3 teams who picked up good results before the set of cup fixtures, made plenty of changes and lost, but went on to win their next league game. 

I personally understand that as a supporter it can be immensely disappointing when our team loses, but surely we equally have to reflect on the reason our manager made the changes and the decisions he made.

In my humble opinion he made the right call and all things being equal will be endorsed on Saturday with a win at Bristol.

Archived