Barnsley v Derby County

Leicester Ram

19 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Maybe in the first team too. Keogh is no slouch, but are any of the others really quick?

Defenders can make up for pace if they can get themselves positioned correctly. Prime example at the minute is Davies, who despite having a slightly rocky start to the season, is 9/10 in the right place at the right time to get a block in or stop the shot.

Shackell was also very good at this, but if you don't play regularly then it makes it's difficult for a variety of reasons (match fitness, getting used to players around you etc)

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

This.

For starters it was a completely different team last night, so none of those who played on Friday will have lost confidence.

Our winning streak in the league is....erm.....1 match. Hardly a lot of winning momentum to lose.

GR did exactly the right thing last night, even with the late subs. Risking first teamers with possible extra time would have been just that. A risk - for the sake of a cup we're not going to win.

This again.  Couldn't give a flying f*** about the Carabo Cup.  It was the absolute right decision to rest those who started against Hull.  We weren't going to win the thing, so it's no skin off my nose that we're out.  The only people moaning are the ones who wanted a night out at Wembley.  They should look on the bright side, they've saved themselves about £100 (£20 of that would've been a pint & pie at the ground!), and the prospect of not having to go to work on 3 hours sleep.  No momentum has been lost, and they were positives, Russell, Bennett, Martin, and Thorne coming through 90 mins.  So all in all, a worthwhile exercise...

11 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

This again.  Couldn't give a flying f*** about the Carabo Cup.  It was the absolute right decision to rest those who started against Hull.  We weren't going to win the thing, so it's no skin off my nose that we're out.  The only people moaning are the ones who wanted a night out at Wembley.  They should look on the bright side, they've saved themselves about £100 (£20 of that would've been a pint & pie at the ground!), and the prospect of not having to go to work on 3 hours sleep.  No momentum has been lost, and they were positives, Russell, Bennett, Martin, and Thorne coming through 90 mins.  So all in all, a worthwhile exercise...

Half fan.. Secondly it's not about Wembley, we say this every time we do this.. Reading, Leicester etc etc.

We will see about the momentum.. 

39 minutes ago, David said:

Is it that easy?

We can praise the comeback all we like but there will be question marks over if we will see the same Thorne again. 

Was he the same Thorne before the leg break? We saw glimpses but there was no consistency to his performances. Many games I think were overlooked and given a free pass as he’s gorgeous.

How much is he on now, is he willing to accept a new contract on the same wages, would we be fair to offer one on reduced terms, are we confident to offer him a better deal?

I’ve seen some suggesting a pay as you play deal but that must come across as an insult. 

Just think it’s a tricky one.

As we heard Rowett talk after deadline day, players were moved on to pay for Keith.

Thorne for a while has been money down the drain, they could just decide to write off their losses and put it down to bad luck. Who knows.

Would love nothing more than to see him back at his best, given a new contract and we live happy ever after starting with being on the bench v Birmingham. 

53 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Why is his contract ticking away.

just give him a new contract.

huddlestone and johnson are both 30. Butterfield and bryson seem to be on their way out. Bird is still squeezing his spots. 

Giving Thorne a new contract so that we can finally see what we bought is a no brainer surely.

otherwise lose him for nil.

I wouldn't be in any rush to offer him a new contract until he can get a run of games under his belt and the coaches can assess him. 

If he comes back and all is fine, then we know where we stand and can negotiate. A fit George Thorne will be given a new deal, no doubt,and rightly so.

But if he's deemed to be too damaged and incapable of reaching the levels he was once capable of, or if he suffers another long term injury, then we would be better spending what limited money we have one someone who might not be as good, but will play the majority of games in a season. Derby are in no financial situation any more to be paying a lot of money for players who they cannot rely on, harsh as it seems.

We've got plenty of time. No-one is going to be in a rush right now to take him so let's just wait and see.

29 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

This.

For starters it was a completely different team last night, so none of those who played on Friday will have lost confidence.

Our winning streak in the league is....erm.....1 match. Hardly a lot of winning momentum to lose.

GR did exactly the right thing last night, even with the late subs. Risking first teamers with possible extra time would have been just that. A risk - for the sake of a cup we're not going to win.

For the sake of a league we're not going to win.

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Half fan.. Secondly it's not about Wembley, we say this every time we do this.. Reading, Leicester etc etc.

Up yours with the half fan!!!  Ask yourself why we do it every time??? Because it's of no benefit to us if we're not going to ultimately win it, it's just a distraction from the bigger prize, promotion.  Yes it was nice when we reached the semis a few years back, but it was nice because our league form was so f***ing rubbish.  Would you rather we won the Milk/Rumberlows/Carling/Carabo Cup, not get promoted, then spend the whole of next season struggling in the bottom half due to a small squad struggling to cope with the durge of Thursday/Sunday weeks???  Yeah, I bet you would...  

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I agree with you on all the other ones - I was fuming at Mcclarens cockup selections but I wasn't fuming about this one. (He even cocked up at WBA away but we got lucky - but then the big blunder was to drop pearce next game who was playing amazing, because shacks was good at WBA). Very unfair. We lost momentum. 

This was just the second round whereas we'd progressed further in all the others if I recall. Second, this was a total swap of players meaning that the juggernaut side was preserved for Bristol. Now it's true that if he stuck a batch of Barnsley selected players into the side this weekend it would be a demoraliser. The 11 rested must be the 11 that start v Bristol. That way momentum is preserved because it's the Hull picked team that's on a high. Club fragility means little if that happens. 

But I agree with your general sentiment of a bad attitude towards cups that's cost us big time in the past (Mcclaren mainly) - don't think it applies here at Barnsley - and you're right, we will see v Bristol. That's the real measure.

And no it's not about wembley because wembley with no trophy there is not wembley. 

25 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I drove up from Bedfordshire for the Barnsley game. I was disappointed about the number of changes but then thought about it and felt that the team selected had a reasonable chance of winning the game. Interesting that no-one was questioning the team selection when we were 2-1 up. Yes, I would have liked a night out at Wembley and I am disappointed that we lost. However, I am more disappointed that our fans, after excelling themselves for most of the game, threw a spoilt brat hissy fit when the last goal went in and left in droves. Yes, it was a foul night and the drive home was hideous, but I thought that there were loads of positives from the game, every player gave a hundred per cent and they deserved our support right up to the final whistle.

Bring on Brizzle.

I for one am very disappointed that we gave minutes to fringe members of the squad to keep them motivated, gave debuts to two promising players, and gave minutes to our best player coming back from a year and a half out. I'm also disappointed that none of our first eleven were put at risk of injury or suspension in a low priority game.

What a ridiculous fuss over nothing. If we'd won, fantastic, we'd get a trip to Wembley to see Spurs' second string beat us. But we didn't win, and we've been knocked out. GR thought the team was good enough to win, it clearly wasn't, no real harm done. This could also have been possible if we'd named our first eleven, Barnsley are a good side, it wasn't a gimme. 

People wouldn't have made any comment about disrespecting the competition, risking momentum etc etc etc etc if we'd won the game which we weren't a million miles from doing. 

If we lose at Bristol City on Saturday it will have zilch to do with last night, as none of them played. I'm not sure this is difficult to understand really. We might lose as Bristol City are a good side though, and I can't wait for the bumper matchday thread on Saturday correlating last night with it.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Your chips must be really soggy by now.

Surely the motivation they have is the very very big pay packet they pick up every week. I hoped ya all enjoyed being in't tarn last neet. I wa there and ive got to thank the guys stood behind us who were giing us a full match analysis . Jesus.... ya need ta ger out more..i bet christmas dinner is a hoot in their house. 

Salt o earth folk wi a s**** team that dumped us out o cup. 

59 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Up yours with the half fan!!!  Ask yourself why we do it every time??? Because it's of no benefit to us if we're not going to ultimately win it, it's just a distraction from the bigger prize, promotion.  Yes it was nice when we reached the semis a few years back, but it was nice because our league form was so f***ing rubbish.  Would you rather we won the Milk/Rumberlows/Carling/Carabo Cup, not get promoted, then spend the whole of next season struggling in the bottom half due to a small squad struggling to cope with the durge of Thursday/Sunday weeks???  Yeah, I bet you would...  

So why do we bother with anything then? Again we don't have to choose. 

To be honest.. Yes I would like to win one of those cups you mentioned.. I take it you would not go then if we actually got to a final?

Yeah, I bet you would (nt).

17 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

To be honest.. Yes I would like to win one of those cups you mentioned.. I take it you would not go then if we actually got to a final?

Mate they have all convinced themselves we wanted to lose and go out the Cup. 

You know it makes sense lol. 

15 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I'd be happy to go, and I would be glad we won it.  But if it meant another 5 years in the doldrums, would I think it was worth it?  Probably not.  At the end of the day, I'm not fussed one bit that we're not in the next round, whereas you are, the world would be a pretty dull place if we all agreed.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Cup ties are of reletivly low consequence. So you can enjoy the match for what it is, its a one off so both teams can try to win it.

That should be a positive - it sounded entertaining enough and going out of the league cup is not the end of the world.

Would of been to Brian Clough he loved the Cup 

Archived