Barnsley v Derby County

Leicester Ram

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Why do people have to jump on the teams back because we are losing to a full,strength championship team with out second sting eleven? It's not like we are getting smashed and our midfield is made up of a 16 year old and a player that's playing his first first team game for 16 months.

Spot on, just don't get the criticism unless from the unfortunate fans who so nearly saw us nick a win, with clearly a largely second eleven for various reasons

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

It seems clear to me that Rowett had little interest progressing in the EFL Cup, but would have taken the win if it had come along.

He clearly has a first 11 in mind now, and this was an opportunity for everyone else to stake a claim to be in the first 18, and for some to get some competitive game time under their belts.  Rowett was being fair to the squad giving them all chances, but over the coming weeks (injuries permitting) we will see a pretty settled 18.

The fact that Thorne made it to the end of the game is a huge plus point that seems to be being lost tonight. 

Absolutely, did he really think we stood a chance of beating Spurs...nope. Would he have played the same 11 that are likely to face Bristol....nope. Would he have given more squad players a game at Wembley....highly likely with another league game the following weekend.

Rowett deserves credit not ridicule for his team selection, maybe the subs as someone else said could have come on sooner but in every other aspect bar the result, this was a decent night to assess the squad, give experience to those that need it and move on with no fresh injuries to his starting line up Saturday.

Didnt want to likely see them lose at Wembley myself anyway.

Just got back , bar the result enjoyed the match , really entertaining game. Not bothered were out of the cup really , couldn't make Wembley next week anyway ?. 

Thought our fans were fantastic tonight , made some real noise and we should be proud of ourselves. 

Regarding the teams performance , grew into the game. Thorne looked good and can't wait too see him at full pelt. Good on Max Bird grew into the game and this will of done him a world of good. Russel looked lively in the 10 role and gives us options. Wisdom was quality and Rowetts going to have such a tough decision Saturday. Anya Mitchell  and Forsyth weren't good enough tonight.

I went tonight and with the team we put out, I viewed it as a development game, rather like an U23 game.

Thorne came through 90 minutes, Bird looks a real prospect, Russell scored and will maybe boost his confidence and we gave fringe players and subs a game.

The problem we had was with when to bring subs on. Bird and Bennett both got clattered as Thorne was tiring and Anya had cramp. Rowett couldn't use another sub in case it went to 120 minutes other than taking Thorne off and putting Baird on. 

The only player who disappointed me was Mitchell. He is only young, especially for a keeper but he didn't do himself any favours tonight. 

I enjoyed it and if we had hung on to win, which we should have we were in complete control in the second half, then it would have been as big an achievement as beating Hull 5-0 when you take everything into context,

I thought we were massively second best in the first half but somehow we led at the break. The speed and one touch football from a Barnsley side who have so many players I've not really heard of was quite impressive. Something special there, they've produced some quality in recent years, good luck to them. 

Second half they lacked the same pace which allowed us to control the game, and then they went 4-4-2 and absolutely throttled us for 20 minutes getting the win. 

Mitchell was poor. But he's young and learning. Nobody else was that bad. Thorne got through the game but he (obviously) looks nothing like on-form Thorne right now. Unbelievably slow and was run ragged by their young midfielders. Bird was more impressive for me, just needs to fill out. 

Bennett and Russell were the best on the night for us. We had probably more shots than they did, but most were pot shots or nothing efforts. One of their players nearly snapped the bar in the first few minutes. The winger, looked about 15 year old, set their second goal up. Looks a real talent. And Hammill was far too good. They must have rested him, but when he came on the tide turned. We looked fine for most of the second half until then. 

Awful weather. Still drying out now. I am not too upset about the result. There are positives. Thorne got 90 mins. Kids blooded. JR scored. No injuries. And our fans made a good racket for most of the night. 

Like I say, good luck to Barnsley who aren't a bad side at all and will surprise again this season. Billionaire new Chinese owner at the match tonight I was told by one of the press people outside. Read their programme and in it their current owner wrote what looked a goodbye letter. He has cancer. 

Perspective.

9 hours ago, froggg said:

League league league.

Again the either or argument.. It's a competitive fixture, it's not al league, league, league. We are a sporting team who should be trying to win every game. It staggers me the amount of so called fans who are happy to lose.. Yes we played some experienced players and gave some yoof a run out.. 11 changes and basically a team who have never played together !! We were never serious about this game and that is insulting.. 

Hugenpressure now against Bristol all brought on ourselves.. Why, why, why.

3 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Again the either or argument.. It's a competitive fixture, it's not al league, league, league. We are a sporting team who should be trying to win every game. It staggers me the amount of so called fans who are happy to lose.. Yes we played some experienced players and gave some yoof a run out.. 11 changes and basically a team who have never played together !! We were never serious about this game and that is insulting.. 

They are only happy to lose after we have lost mate. 

They would be singing from the hill tops two teams two teams and we are going to win the league if we won and We are on our way to Wembley. 

9 hours ago, McLovin said:

It's a catch 22 situation. We made lots of changes against Reading in the FA Cup a few seasons ago and it ended up costing us as we never recovered from that. On the other hand though if  msome of our first team players like Vydra and Huddlestone started and then got injured, we would have never forgived Rowett. Who'd be a manager?

Agree but you can't manage through fear.. Players get injured at any time.. How long then before we start taking some league games in this fashion? Everyone tells me it's all about the league..

No need to over analyse this result. As every team does we we're always gonna rotate, unfair on the reserves not to give them a game. We lost, it's just one game hardly the end of the world- all it means is the reserves have thrown away their opportunity for game time. 

Nobody in this league is judged in their cup performance, that only really matters for the upper mid prem teams who have the chance of winning it and getting to Europe. It ain't good to lose a game, but Rowett will be Judged on where we are in the league, whether resting players to lose this game will help or hinder that we will find out. But this is in no way season defining.

49 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

We did try and win the game though didn't we?

I don't see why last night's result should put us under any pressure.

The only pressure will come from fans with the attitude that 'it's only Bristol City and we are the mighty DCFC and our players have had 3 days extra rest'.

Good result for Bristol last night and anyone going there with the idea that we will beat them purely based on the fact that our players were rested last night may be in for a shock.

In reality, the league cup is for reserves for most teams, at least until the semis or quarters when teams may then take it more seriously.

The point of playing reserves and young players is to help them get some match sharpness and adapt to managers ideas and, in the case of young players, help them develop. Part of adapting to a new system and developing is making mistakes and learning from them.

There were positive takeaways from last night.  Some players made some mistakes. GR will help them learn from them.  They made mistakes in a competitive game but in a competition which isn't a priority.

So I'm personally relaxed. 

Perhaps 11 changes is too many (and might it not get us into trouble?) but the team he put out still looks pretty strong on paper.  Losing 3-2 to yet another late goal doesn't suggest that the team wasn't competitive or outclassed and there is no guarantee that we'd have walked it if the same team had played that beat Hull... particularly as we didn't play well and we're quite lucky apparently :ph34r:

Barnsley are a team in the same division and this doesn't count as a cup shock or giant killing: rather it's a typical all Championship affair; tight and not much in it.  Can't win them all, not gonna to win them all.

The mistake GR has made, if any at all, is to give another stick to some to beat the club with.  TBH if he'd played the same team as Hull last night and we lost on Saturday, those same people would probably be using a different stick and suggesting he should have rested more last night. Can't please all the people all of the time, but some you can't please at all.

Not sure about all this missing out on Wembley 'locks as well.  We missed out on an away trip to Spurs.  Surely the building its at doesn't really matter? Isn't the thrill of going to Wembley more about what the match means rather than the architecture?  In this case a third round cup match doesn't have the same meaning? 

What do people who went last night think of our centre mid options?  Hopefully George will go from strength to strength as he gets fitter.  Is Bird ready to play a part if we pick up injuries / suspensions?  Is he physical enough yet for the Championship?  Do we need to make a move for Joe Ledley?

Archived