Barnsley v Derby County

Leicester Ram

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Perhaps 11 changes is too many (and might it not get us into trouble?) but the team he put out still looks pretty strong on paper.  Losing 3-2 to yet another late goal doesn't suggest that the team wasn't competitive or outclassed and there is no guarantee that we'd have walked it if the same team had played that beat Hull... particularly as we didn't play well and we're quite lucky apparently :ph34r:

Barnsley are a team in the same division and this doesn't count as a cup shock or giant killing: rather it's a typical all Championship affair; tight and not much in it.  Can't win them all, not gonna to win them all.

The mistake GR has made, if any at all, is to give another stick to some to beat the club with.  TBH if he'd played the same team as Hull last night and we lost on Saturday, those same people would probably be using a different stick and suggesting he should have rested more last night. Can't please all the people all of the time, but some you can't please at all.

Not sure about all this missing out on Wembley 'locks as well.  We missed out on an away trip to Spurs.  Surely the building its at doesn't really matter? Isn't the thrill of going to Wembley more about what the match means rather than the architecture?  In this case a third round cup match doesn't have the same meaning? 

What stick .

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, curtains said:

What's Wisdom doing for the second goal. 

They all get caught out and a bit flat footed. Pearce goes wide to no real effect. Shacks stays put which is ok, but the striker peels off to the back post and fozzy can't get back to cover.

it made me wonder if we lack a bit of pace at the back.

Would I have liked to win? Of course, who wants to see their team lose any game?

Am I disappointed we didn’t win? Of course, if Wembley, Spurs, the League Cup interests you or not, the club doesn’t run off magic beans, a trip to Wembley would added to the piggy bank.

Did I lose any sleep last night? No. I’m not angry, no frustration, we haven’t just thrown away 3 valuable points towards the main goal that is promotion.

Despite my own preference of League over Cup, nobody would turn their nose up at a FA or energy drink sponsored League Cup in the trophy cabinet. Reality is, chances of that are happening are slim and Rowett will know that.

You can argue all day long over team selection but unless you can show 100% proof that Friday’s team would have won last night, there is no winner of that argument. No guarentees in football, none whatsoever.

Fairly sure Rowett didn’t set the team up to lose, knowing we would get knocked out. Other managers have been complimentary recently of how strong our squad is. Rowett saw the opportunity of giving that squad game time and being more than capable of winning.....which we came close to doing.

Just to repeat what others have said and cannot be ignored given the numbers in midfield, George Thorne getting through 90 minutes last night is absolutely huge for us.

If you’re seriously pissed off after last night hold on to that one positive at least as it’s a real good one to have.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

They all get caught out and a bit flat footed. Pearce goes wide to no real effect. Shacks stays put which is ok, but the striker peels off to the back post and fozzy can't get back to cover.

You have a point. 

Noticed Chris Martin instrumental in both Derbys goals 

He set up Russell for the first and put a good ball out to Anya so he could cross for Bennett for the 2nd. 

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Yes - in our reserves.

Just now, curtains said:

You have a point. 

Noticed Chris Martin instrumental in both Derbys goals 

He set up Russell for the first and put a good ball out to Anya so he could cross for Bennett for the 2nd. 

Yes, i think chris looked good when he came on v hull, and looks strong with good feet in these clips.

1 minute ago, David said:

Would I have liked to win? Of course, who wants to see their team lose any game?

Am I disappointed we didn’t win? Of course, if Wembley, Spurs, the League Cup interests you or not, the club doesn’t run off magic beans, a trip to Wembley would added to the piggy bank.

Did I lose any sleep last night? No. I’m not angry, no frustration, we haven’t just thrown away 3 valuable points towards the main goal that is promotion.

Despite my own preference of League over Cup, nobody would turn their nose up at a FA or energy drink sponsored League Cup in the trophy cabinet. Reality is, chances of that are happening are slim and Rowett will know that.

You can argue all day long over team selection but unless you can show 100% proof that Friday’s team would have won last night, there is no winner of that argument. No guarentees in football, none whatsoever.

Fairly sure Rowett didn’t set the team up to lose, knowing we would get knocked out. Other managers have been complimentary recently of how strong our squad is. Rowett saw the opportunity of giving that squad game time and being more than capable of winning.....which we came close to doing.

Just to repeat what others have said and cannot be ignored given the numbers in midfield, George Thorne getting through 90 minutes last night is absolutely huge for us.

If you’re seriously pissed off after last night hold on to that one positive at least as it’s a real good one to have.

Positive as we are about Thorne I don't think he will ever be the same mobile player he was .

Now I've said it so tin hat on. 

Just now, curtains said:

Positive as we are about Thorne I don't think he will ever be the same mobile player he was .

Now I've said it so tin hat on. 

Could be right, he’s had some serious injuries over the last few years. Age is on his side though, I wouldn’t write him off but it could still take some time until we see the George Thorne we remember.

Coming through 90 minutes is a positive even if you have doubts. Big season for him with his contract ticking away. 

Would be surprised if we see him in the squad on Saturday, bench v Birmingham more likely.

23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We did try and win the game though didn't we?

I don't see why last night's result should put us under any pressure.

The only pressure will come from fans with the attitude that 'it's only Bristol City and we are the mighty DCFC and our players have had 3 days extra rest'.

Good result for Bristol last night and anyone going there with the idea that we will beat them purely based on the fact that our players were rested last night may be in for a shock.

But again, we did not give ourselves the best opportunity to win the game. iF we lose at Bristol, that's two defeats on the bounce and possibly momentum lost.

Bristol is a very tough game, go there on the back of a win and tails are up. So yes we have put pressure on ourselves.. This is a fragile club, it does not take much to kill the confidence of these players. Perhaps they were looking forward to a trip to Spurs and are now deflated. I would want to test myself against the best and now they have lost an opportunity (yes I know Spurs might have played a second string). Listen Barnsley are a good side, hats off to them and I would have no issues with being beaten by a better team on any occasion. That's sport... However we used a competitive fixture to play around.. Yes I get players need match fitness, Thorne should be introduced during games and I am 100% behind getting youth into the team. BUT there has to be a balance in how this is done.

Nobody should need resting unless they are carrying a knock but that should also apply to league games. 

6 minutes ago, David said:

Could be right, he’s had some serious injuries over the last few years. Age is on his side though, I wouldn’t write him off but it could still take some time until we see the George Thorne we remember.

Coming through 90 minutes is a positive even if you have doubts. Big season for him with his contract ticking away. 

Would be surprised if we see him in the squad on Saturday, bench v Birmingham more likely.

Why is his contract ticking away.

just give him a new contract.

huddlestone and johnson are both 30. Butterfield and bryson seem to be on their way out. Bird is still squeezing his spots. 

Giving Thorne a new contract so that we can finally see what we bought is a no brainer surely.

otherwise lose him for nil.

Just now, David said:

It's a very positive thing that George is back don't get me wrong but Rowett alluded to his mobility in his interview after the game but that is to be expected after big injuries.

Love George but I still think he is coming back and needs time to get up to speed. 

Very happy with Chris Martin right now so that needs to be said. 

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

huddlestone and johnson are both 30. Butterfield and bryson seem to be on their way out. Bird is still squeezing his spots. 

Giving Thorne a hew contract so that we can finally see what we bought is a no brainer surely.

Mate he's had two crutiates one in each knee and a broken leg so he will take time. 

If he comes through he will get another lucrative contract.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Giving Thorne a hew contract so that we can finally see what we bought is a no brainer surely.

Is it that easy?

We can praise the comeback all we like but there will be question marks over if we will see the same Thorne again. 

Was he the same Thorne before the leg break? We saw glimpses but there was no consistency to his performances. Many games I think were overlooked and given a free pass as he’s gorgeous.

How much is he on now, is he willing to accept a new contract on the same wages, would we be fair to offer one on reduced terms, are we confident to offer him a better deal?

I’ve seen some suggesting a pay as you play deal but that must come across as an insult. 

Just think it’s a tricky one.

As we heard Rowett talk after deadline day, players were moved on to pay for Keith.

Thorne for a while has been money down the drain, they could just decide to write off their losses and put it down to bad luck. Who knows.

Would love nothing more than to see him back at his best, given a new contract and we live happy ever after starting with being on the bench v Birmingham. 

13 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

But again, we did not give ourselves the best opportunity to win the game. iF we lose at Bristol, that's two defeats on the bounce and possibly momentum lost.

Bristol is a very tough game, go there on the back of a win and tails are up. So yes we have put pressure on ourselves.. This is a fragile club, it does not take much to kill the confidence of these players. Perhaps they were looking forward to a trip to Spurs and are now deflated. I would want to test myself against the best and now they have lost an opportunity (yes I know Spurs might have played a second string). Listen Barnsley are a good side, hats off to them and I would have no issues with being beaten by a better team on any occasion. That's sport... However we used a competitive fixture to play around.. Yes I get players need match fitness, Thorne should be introduced during games and I am 100% behind getting youth into the team. BUT there has to be a balance in how this is done.

Nobody should need resting unless they are carrying a knock but that should also apply to league games. 

Not sure how we have lost the momentum though. 

The starting XIs last game was a 5-0 battering of Hull.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure how we have lost the momentum though. 

The starting XIs last game was a 5-0 battering of Hull.

This.

For starters it was a completely different team last night, so none of those who played on Friday will have lost confidence.

Our winning streak in the league is....erm.....1 match. Hardly a lot of winning momentum to lose.

GR did exactly the right thing last night, even with the late subs. Risking first teamers with possible extra time would have been just that. A risk - for the sake of a cup we're not going to win.

Archived