Sam Winnall & Jacob Butterfield - loan swap confirmed

Nuwtfly

I randomly bumped into the Twitter of Jacob's mother. I don't want to post her username here. But she liked a lot of the tweets which mention that Jacob was getting harassment and vitriol from our fans. She is liked posts today from Derby fans who defended her son's comments regarding that game against Wednesday. I am no fan of Butterfield but I guess what we were watching was a player who THOUGHT the majority of fans could not stand him. Hence why he 'jumped at the chance'. 

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Also "when I heard of the opportunity to come and play here, I jumped at the chance."

He obviously wanted out, intimates that he thinks they are a bigger and better club, play better football and stand more chance of promotion.

Hope it works out for him or when he returns here with 12 months on his contract it could be tricky.  His stock wasn't too high with fans before he left so I can't see them welcoming his return.

Personally expect him to be a bit part player there, mooch around, get farmed out elsewhere next year and go back to Barnsley on a free in 2019.

15 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Used to be getting sent to Coventry , now its Barnsley.  :ph34r:

Thought he came from Huddersfield.

yeh but started his career at Barnsley. Scored against us and ran the show. Remember saying on here at the time we should have signed him. Typical Derby, 4 years n £4m later n we buy him. 

20 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not surprised Butterfield was allowed to move on but to say he is incapable of competing at this level is completely wrong. Played in the right role (which he rarely was at Derby) then he is one of the best midfielders in the Championship but obviously doesn't fit in with how Rowett wants go play. Butterfield would suit a club such as Fulham or Reading.

Trouble is, he doesn't actually compete

He hasn't got the aggression, physicality, desire or drive to actually win the ball and do something with it .

Whilst unfortunate, his slip up at Sunderland perfectly summed him up . Hapless under pressure. That kind of thing has happened many times since his arrival.

There is no room for players like that if you want to be successful in this league

The sales of Hughes and Ince gave him a perfect opportunity to step up and Gary encouraged him to do so by initially picking him. 

He was incapable of taking it and Rowett consequently lost patience

Surely if he was one of the best midfielders in the Championship we would have seen it by now and there is no way that the club would allow  such an asset go, would they ? Doesn't make sense I'm afraid. 

15 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

He hasn't got the aggression, physicality, desire or drive to actually win the ball and do something with it .

Whilst unfortunate, his slip up at Sunderland perfectly summed him up . Hapless under pressure. That kind of thing has happened many times since his arrival.

There is no room for players like that if you want to be successful in this league

The sales of Hughes and Ince gave him a perfect opportunity to step up and Gary encouraged him to do so by initially picking him. 

Surely if he was one of the best midfielders in the Championship we would have seen it by now and there is no way that the club would allow  such an asset go, would they ? Doesn't make sense I'm afraid. 

Given the opportunity to step up ? If you call opportunity to step two games where the ball gets booted over his head time and time again.

Not bothered about the comments, a bit strange from his point of view though. He's basically said our midfield couldn't get anywhere near theirs, including him.

No big deal, I think following deadline day we're a much better team. He won't be missed, I'll probably forget he's even played for Derby by the time his loan ends.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Given the opportunity to step up ? If you call opportunity to step two games where the ball gets booted over his head time and time again.

Total myth

Ever seen him demanding the ball and reprimanding his team mates for not giving it to him ?

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Also "when I heard of the opportunity to come and play here, I jumped at the chance."

He obviously wanted out, intimates that he thinks they are a bigger and better club, play better football and stand more chance of promotion.

Even if he does think that, is he wrong? 

Don't really get the over the top comments about him, there's a good player in there somewhere. If Wednesday can get him anywhere near the level he was at in his first year here they'll have creamed in. Didn't quite work out for him here, I can't help but think the 5 managers he's had in 2 years have done his career any favours. Wish him all the best, hope he kicks on so we can get a decent fee at the end of the season. 

43 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

He had from when Rowett arrived last season. Indeed, the fact that he was consistently picked over Hughes shows that Rowett gave him a chance. Obviously he hasn't impressed him, otherwise he would still be here.

On 31 August 2017 at 22:51, Red_ram said:

My main beef with butterfield is how utterly miserable he always looks. Even during the barker testimonial when everyone on the pitch was having a laugh he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else. And whichever cup game they had the half time cameras in the dressing room he looked like his hamster has just died.

You beggar...for all you know his hamster might have just died!

3 hours ago, DEL said:

Butterfield is correct regarding Wednesday passed us off yet some fans crying about it, he was only being honest. #TruthHurts 

Us included him. So he's being honest about either how poor he is, or how his own Derby teammates are lousy whereas he's got it all going on. Either way it's a clownish comment. 

1 hour ago, PodgeyRam said:

He had from when Rowett arrived last season. Indeed, the fact that he was consistently picked over Hughes shows that Rowett gave him a chance. Obviously he hasn't impressed him, otherwise he would still be here.

My feeling is he went and asked for this move. And who could blame him? He's never been a regular under GR, the majority of our fans have never taken to him (putting it kindly), he has another big club wanting to take him who by all accounts play a style of football he prefers, in Yorkshire, where he's from. No brainer. 

I see nothing in his interview with his new club that annoys me. He is spot on when saying they passed us off the park. However, he fails to mention we won, and in fairness he played well that day. He's played well a lot for us, his first year was great. I don't think the change of manager every three months helped him or anyone. We are still suffering now. 

I wouldn't have let him leave. He offers something different. But I totally understand why. On both sides. We just have to hope we improve now with our new look midfield and that he does well enough to earn a move away next summer. But I can see some interesting threads along the line if we struggle and both he and Bryson shine. 

4 hours ago, BobbyD said:

They let Ince and Will go so how do you explain that? None of the managers we've had since Butterfield joined have used him in a role which suits him - that's why I feel he would do well at a couple of other Championship clubs and the way they are set up. We put him in a position in the team which doesn't suit him and he won't look great- just as we have done with Will Hughes and more recently Bradley Johnson.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

They let Ince and Will go so how do you explain that? None of the managers we've had since Butterfield joined have used him in a role which suits him - that's why I feel he would do well at a couple of other Championship clubs and the way they are set up. We put him in a position in the team which doesn't suit him and he won't look great- just as we have done with Will Hughes and more recently Bradley Johnson.

They didn't 'let' then go, they wanted to go. To the Prem. Where we ain't. As for Butterfield he don't 'fit', if he does well for the Wendies we can hopefully cash in.

Archived