Sam Winnall & Jacob Butterfield - loan swap confirmed

Nuwtfly

24 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This video is interesting. 70% of the goals are headers from long balls or corners. A sign of things to come this year.  Who needs midfielders anyway?

I'm not sure about that 70% figure, unless you're including crosses as "long balls", which I normally wouldn't.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RamsFan10 said:

I like Winnall a lot, but was this necessary? I mean, we now have Martin, Nugent, Winnall and Bent after Christmas for the same one position. How can we keep them all happy, surely we have too much? 

Dont want to get slated for criticising the transfer, I mean at the end of the day we got rid of Butterfield so it ain't all bad. But another centre forward just seems a bit uneccesary. Shame they didn't want to loan us a winger. 

Can't see Bent playing for the club again now, if he's not got injured he would place left most probably on loan and unless some striker injury crisis hits us he will probably leave in January. 

I see it more as we have 4 players for 2 positions. Martin , Nugent , Vydra and now Winnall. I believe Martin Nugent and vydra can all play the number 10 role I.e dropping off the main striker so plenty of options to interchange, add to this the fact Nugent doesn't seem to be able to play a full game, Martin's not suited to play against every opposition it gives us nice options. 

7 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Scores all sorts of goals. Looks to be a genuine aerial presence, too. Apologies if this video has already been posted..

On the basis I have no idea who he is I'm assuming he's one of the kind of players we need to get promoted - I'd never heard of most Huddersfield players til last year and they got up

Is he an out and out striker or can we play him on the wing?

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

On the basis I have no idea who he is I'm assuming he's one of the kind of players we need to get promoted - I'd never heard of most Huddersfield players til last year and they got up

Looks like a proper old fashioned centre forward. None of your false 9 nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Looks like a proper old fashioned centre forward. None of your false 9 nonsense.

Did we need another one?

Decent goalscoring record for Scunthorpe and Barnsley though

(think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts - Maintain the positive outlook.... HOOOOOOOFFFF... NO it's going to be fine)

1 minute ago, garrym1968 said:

How many times have WS crossed a ball into the box with no one to put it in the net in the games rowett has been in charge hope fully winnal can be that man as he seems pretty mobile in the box very eager

I feel like the major problem we've been having is getting the ball into the box in the first place...

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Did we need another one?

Decent goalscoring record for Scunthorpe and Barnsley though

(think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts - Maintain the positive outlook.... HOOOOOOOFFFF... NO it's going to be fine)

Think he offers something different to the rest of the strikers - which is what is important. Especially when Nugent isn't getting any younger, Martin seems ineffective as we aren't playing to his feet, and Bent is out til Christmas.

16 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Out and out striker.

So yeah, we'll play him on the wing.

I hope you don't mind me joining in on this, I was curious of your thoughts about Butterfield, I will delete my account shortly. I'm a Wednesday fan and from what I can gather you have probably the best deal out of this. Winnall is a good finisher and will score you goals if he's given a chance, whereas at Hillsborough our moron of a manager didn't allow him one. The real reason (and this is from a very good source) he has been squeezed out is that he has had run ins with more than one player at the club, culminating in him going in deliberately late with Forestieri in training who consequently stuck one on Winnalls chin. Both players were reprimanded. The reason Winnall has had the bad attitude is apparently because he thought he wasn't being given a fair crack of the whip and I can agree with him, to be fair because in my and fellow Owls opinion, he hasn't. All the best to you for the season even though you lost at Bumhole Lane last week and cost me a bet!

10 minutes ago, Lappo said:

I hope you don't mind me joining in on this, I was curious of your thoughts about Butterfield, I will delete my account shortly. I'm a Wednesday fan and from what I can gather you have probably the best deal out of this. Winnall is a good finisher and will score you goals if he's given a chance, whereas at Hillsborough our moron of a manager didn't allow him one. The real reason (and this is from a very good source) he has been squeezed out is that he has had run ins with more than one player at the club, culminating in him going in deliberately late with Forestieri in training who consequently stuck one on Winnalls chin. Both players were reprimanded. The reason Winnall has had the bad attitude is apparently because he thought he wasn't being given a fair crack of the whip and I can agree with him, to be fair because in my and fellow Owls opinion, he hasn't. All the best to you for the season even though you lost at Bumhole Lane last week and cost me a bet!

Butterfield can be a good asset when he has confidence in his own ability and game. When he first joined he was unleashing shots from everywhere, passing forwards and with pace, he can also work up and down a football pitch rather well. However, something must of happened at DCFC to put him off? maybe too much competition or a fall out with some players. He lost his forward mentality and resulted in going left and right and playing the easy option. He scored 2 goals for us last season (via deflections) but if you get him playing well and with confidence he could get you 7-10 a season. For DCFC we had too many midfielders like him and probably better than him too, Johnson, Bryson, Huddlestone and Thorne returning etc. Plus with the signing of Kieftenbeld we didn't really need him in our squad we had too many CM's. Never the less, he could do a job for you but i believe like you that we got the better deal.

4 minutes ago, Lappo said:

I hope you don't mind me joining in on this, I was curious of your thoughts about Butterfield, I will delete my account shortly. I'm a Wednesday fan and from what I can gather you have probably the best deal out of this. Winnall is a good finisher and will score you goals if he's given a chance, whereas at Hillsborough our moron of a manager didn't allow him one. The real reason (and this is from a very good source) he has been squeezed out is that he has had run ins with more than one player at the club, culminating in him going in deliberately late with Forestieri in training who consequently stuck one on Winnalls chin. Both players were reprimanded. The reason Winnall has had the bad attitude is apparently because he thought he wasn't being given a fair crack of the whip and I can agree with him, to be fair because in my and fellow Owls opinion, he hasn't. All the best to you for the season even though you lost at Bumhole Lane last week and cost me a bet!gb

These same bunch of our fans claimed Baird is horrible RB, but he was among our best players last season. Give Butters right role, movement upfront and he'll deliver. Classy playmaker, just needs a bit room for himself.

4 minutes ago, Lappo said:

You couldn't make it up at Bramall lane last week ! 

Anyway sorry but Butterfield simply killed us stone dead in midfield with some others in there, far to much tippy tappy sideways backwards stuff and yes he rarely gave it away because he was not in a threatening position, he won't win you the ball and he won't win any headers and he won't pass the football towards the box occasionally he might stick one in from long range - he is rather due ! 

If you could make him a more sellable asset it would be very helpful - winnall was at Burton when Rowett was there so he knows a fair bit about him and he will be a bit different from Martin Nugent Vydra and Bent ( when fit) 

we are a bit light in midfield with Bryson leaving and Butterfield on paper but we need to win the football for the others to get on with it which Butterfield never did, one positive for you is that he rarely unavailable and a slight negative he is a Leeds fan ! 

Enjoy ? 

15 minutes ago, Lappo said:

The reason Winnall has had the bad attitude is apparently because he thought he wasn't being given a fair crack of the whip and I can agree with him, to be fair because in my and fellow Owls opinion, he hasn't. 

Hmmmmm this could be bad since we're bringing him into a squad which seems to be rotating strikers

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Hmmmmm this could be bad since we're bringing him into a squad which seems to be rotating strikers

Obviously everyone comes in saying they're happy to sign, but his quote about working with Rowett before at a key time in his career and wanting to pay him back is promising to me. Hopefully will know what Rowett expects and wants. Sheff Weds just seemed to be stacking up players with no plan... they seem to be where Derby were two seasons ago/last September.

Archived