Sam Winnall & Jacob Butterfield - loan swap confirmed

Nuwtfly

3 hours ago, DerbyPride said:

@SuperDerbySuperRams do you have any more info on any of the ins/outs regarding fees, loan fees and whether the loans are with view to a permanent? Apart from Bryson's loan apparently being made permanent in January and the rumoured £300k-£2m Kieftenbeld fee, I've not seen anything else reported.

Not sure sorry. But on the face of it I doubt we have an option to buy, so last minute that it would of been tough to add something like that on in time

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

On paper it looks like Wed have the better deal.

Winnall signed for them in Jan for 500k. His value has not gone up since then. 

Football isn't played on paper though

It sounds like a great deal to me 

Get a good player in with something to prove and a good reputation

Move another one on who was incapable of competing at this level 

In my opinion both clubs are doing each other a favour.

Both want shot of a player who is worth more than their current value but not getting the chance to prove their worth.

Butterfiekd could go to Wednesday and replicate what he did at Hudds (many a fan claimed he was the best player to play for them), Winall comes to us and scores goals. We either agree to swap at the end or both get a sellable asset.

In an ideal world 

5 hours ago, WB2269 said:

Another perspective on Winnall as someone who watched him for Burton during a loan spell there when he was a youngster.

It is difficult to 'pigeon hole' Sam as a particular type of striker. He isn't a target man by any means, he isn't a pace merchant playing on the shoulder of the last defender either. What he is though is a smart, quick thinking striker who has that handy habit of being in the right place at the right time to finish a goalscoring chance off when it arrives inside the penalty area. He also has a feisty, competitive streak about him which I think has served him well at Scunny and Barnsley.

When at Burton he didn't always catch the eye during games but he came alive in and around the box to take chances. Gary would have been coaching him (as assistant to Pesch) when Sam was at Burton so will know all about what he can do.

It could turn out to be a very shrewd move for him and Derby if he gets the chance to get regular games.

Sounds like a younger version of Nugent.

1 hour ago, BobbyD said:

Football isn't played on paper though

It sounds like a great deal to me 

Get a good player in with something to prove and a good reputation

Move another one on who was incapable of competing at this level 

Not surprised Butterfield was allowed to move on but to say he is incapable of competing at this level is completely wrong. Played in the right role (which he rarely was at Derby) then he is one of the best midfielders in the Championship but obviously doesn't fit in with how Rowett wants go play. Butterfield would suit a club such as Fulham or Reading.

Having watched his YouTube montage, to me he looks like the ultimate nightmare for any opposition centre halves. He can score with both feet and not afraid of putting his head where it hurts. Great signing by the boy Rowett.

Also talking to a Blues fan today, thinks Kieftenbeld is a great signing for us.

Very pleased with the window MM.

:D

11 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Having watched his YouTube montage, to me he looks like the ultimate nightmare for any opposition centre halves. He can score with both feet and not afraid of putting his head where it hurts. Great signing by the boy Rowett.

Also talking to a Blues fan today, thinks Kieftenbeld is a great signing for us.

Very pleased with the window MM.

:D

The positive thing is that GR has identified and addressed everything people have been saying about the failures over the past 18 months. You can see where the signings fit into a plan.

Unlike the Pearson and Clement signings where we were left scratching our heads.

Winnall does appear to rely on crosses into the box though...I've noticed Huddlestone seems to float corners rather than arrow them in with pace but Winnall seems quick to react to good deliveries...my only worry is will he get the service and who  from ?? ...please dont say Russell :unsure:

21 minutes ago, Saity said:

Winnall does appear to rely on crosses into the box though...I've noticed Huddlestone seems to float corners rather than arrow them in with pace but Winnall seems quick to react to good deliveries...my only worry is will he get the service and who  from ?? ...please dont say Russell :unsure:

Lawrence maybe  :thumbsup:

I get a little bit down when there isn't a bit of obvious on the ball genius in a side .. We all love those magic moments but I have a real sense that GR is aiming to create a team, a unit with complimenting strengths.

I am optimistic and get that  feeling that we aren't splashing cash willy nilly .. There has clearly been some considerable thought and planning.

hope it works but in the meantime I am right behind the new world order. COYR

1 hour ago, Saity said:

Russell has assisted brilliantly for two of our goals already hasn't he?

Clearly this fella deserves a song!

To similar lyrics of "Just Can't Win Em All"

.......make up your own tune coz this one's super duff, oh eck and so are my poxy lyrics!....

He's up for the fight, Owls, you still can't quite recall
You can try, you can try
But he's our Super Sam Winnall, our Super Sam Winnall.

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Russell has assisted brilliantly for two of our goals already hasn't he?

oh yeah he's been brilliant...the sunderland so called assist was a deflection but if you want to count that then ok so thats 2 this season which i agree is already better than last season...in fact double last seasons total...wow....do you really think Russell is a good crosser/ assister of goals ??? if so your'e watching a different game to me and over half of the people on here....

Archived