Sam Winnall & Jacob Butterfield - loan swap confirmed

Nuwtfly

35 minutes ago, Lappo said:

I hope you don't mind me joining in on this, I was curious of your thoughts about Butterfield, I will delete my account shortly. I'm a Wednesday fan and from what I can gather you have probably the best deal out of this. Winnall is a good finisher and will score you goals if he's given a chance, whereas at Hillsborough our moron of a manager didn't allow him one. The real reason (and this is from a very good source) he has been squeezed out is that he has had run ins with more than one player at the club, culminating in him going in deliberately late with Forestieri in training who consequently stuck one on Winnalls chin. Both players were reprimanded. The reason Winnall has had the bad attitude is apparently because he thought he wasn't being given a fair crack of the whip and I can agree with him, to be fair because in my and fellow Owls opinion, he hasn't. All the best to you for the season even though you lost at Bumhole Lane last week and cost me a bet!

Butterfield needs midfield runners to get the best out of him. You aren't going to see him running around the pitch or making tackles but he's decent technically and has a good shot on him. He also has very poor stamina and you will often see him come off after 60-65 minutes. However, he's a huge confidence player. When he's on form, he looks like one of the best midfielders in the championship but when he's not, which appears to be most of the time, he is very poor and slows the tempo of the game down. You play 4-4-2 if I'm correct? I'm not sure he will do too well in a midfield 2.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn't have surprised me if he had gone.

i suspect he is another in the hughes/bryson category.

Possibly too big a gamble to let him go based on the amount of change.

47 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Wolves did try and weren't miles off getting Martin late last night... but in the end Rowett didn't want to let him go

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

It wouldn't have surprised me if he had gone.

i suspect he is another in the hughes/bryson category.

Possibly too big a gamble to let him go based on the amount of change.

In what way? You did read the bit where Rowett seems to have made the final call on it right?

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Wolves did try and weren't miles off getting Martin late last night... but in the end Rowett didn't want to let him go

Any idea of how much they were willing to spend? I don't think it would have been a good move for Rowett to be honest having moved on Ince Hughes and Bryson 

Another perspective on Winnall as someone who watched him for Burton during a loan spell there when he was a youngster.

It is difficult to 'pigeon hole' Sam as a particular type of striker. He isn't a target man by any means, he isn't a pace merchant playing on the shoulder of the last defender either. What he is though is a smart, quick thinking striker who has that handy habit of being in the right place at the right time to finish a goalscoring chance off when it arrives inside the penalty area. He also has a feisty, competitive streak about him which I think has served him well at Scunny and Barnsley.

When at Burton he didn't always catch the eye during games but he came alive in and around the box to take chances. Gary would have been coaching him (as assistant to Pesch) when Sam was at Burton so will know all about what he can do.

It could turn out to be a very shrewd move for him and Derby if he gets the chance to get regular games.

1 minute ago, WB2269 said:

It is difficult to 'pigeon hole' Sam as a particular type of striker. He isn't a target man by any means, he isn't a pace merchant playing on the shoulder of the last defender either. What he is though is a smart, quick thinking striker who has that handy habit of being in the right place at the right time to finish a goalscoring chance off when it arrives inside the penalty area. He also has a feisty, competitive streak about him which I think has served him well at Scunny and Barnsley.

So Paul Dickov then? (And i don't mean that in a derogatory way or anything).

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

@SuperDerbySuperRams do you have any more info on any of the ins/outs regarding fees, loan fees and whether the loans are with view to a permanent? Apart from Bryson's loan apparently being made permanent in January and the rumoured £300k-£2m Kieftenbeld fee, I've not seen anything else reported.

22 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Maybe. Never seen enough of Dickov to judge on that one.

My thoughts are that Sam is just a natural goalscorer. Seems to make intelligent runs and has an instinct to gamble on where the ball is going to go and invariably be in the right place to score.

Not proven at Championship level yet, apart from at Wednesday last season, but I think he has all the right attributes to make it.

53 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Paul Peschisolido sprang to my mind from the description, but no shame in having a young version of either in the squad.

Archived