Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rowett is probably a competent manager. To be honest it's really difficult to judge whether any manager at DCFC is up to the job, Quite a few with decent reputations have tried to turn it around at DCFC, but are hampered by the chairman (albeit well intentioned) and the majority of the bloated overpaid squad who are not up to the job, but are difficult to move on.  

1 hour ago, wingfieldram said:

very true.....the gaps in the stands are getting bigger

The excitement is drifting away as look to be returning to mid table mediocrity......and dull play on the pitch,hull excepted.

Fans will always vote with their feet and can be a fickle bunch.

Hopefully with more consistency,the flair will become more visible...I'm sure that gr wants it to be exciting and good to watch.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Kevin Summerfield, who was the brains behind the success at Burton (what bit there was). Kevin could spot a player and they made some good signings, which became the backbone of the team that got up to the Championship. 

He was also tactically astute and his system could grind out results at that level, but his strength would have been Leagues 1 and 2, where he spent almost all of his career. Mark Sale also played his football almost exclusively in the lower leagues. 

Gary was the front man, who could talk effectively and put a very good spin on things with the media and when recruiting players. But for me the critical thing is - they were doing it in League 2 with Burton and even at that level it was tedious stuff. 

I am not surprised he got the job as he is eloquent, with excellent professional impact and a good story to tell but surely what he has actually achieved in the game should have been put under greater scrutiny. 

It's still early days, hard to truly judge, but I haven't seen evidence on the pitch with any regularity that suggests he's some kind of Brian Clough. The Hull performance (after two defeats since) looks a one-off. I didn't see the game as a 5-0 mauling anyway, I just thought Hull were atrocious and we scored almost every time we had a shot. One of those nights. I've been to the last two away games and we fold so easily and the lack of pace, the lack of players willing to just keep the ball between them, it's startling. 

The likes of Hughes and even Butterfield would at least keep possession. I hope I'm massively wrong, but with our central midfield options, we'll get blown away by most sides away from home. As a home side, you're expected to come out firing, I think we fare well ourselves in that regard. But it kills us away from home. We can't hack it. The home sides just throttle us. Far too many ageing players with no mobility. 

But all this is just opinion. And it is early in GR's tenure still. I just look at our summer window business and shake my head. We've seemingly shunted all of our creative talent. I understand Ince going, even though he was our star man. I don't think we had a choice there. He wanted the Premier League. But letting the other three in midfield go and only adding a midfielder we just didn't need, it baffles me. It also goes against everything GR said to us early summer when he spoke of the players he'd like to add. 

So in essence, I'm not 'sure' he's up to this job, to answer the question.

3 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Wagna wasnt hamstrung by what appears to be a dehabilitating wage bill on players that nobody wants.

the two scenarios are not comparable 

we sold our stars and still needed to ship out before we could bring in.

but thats what happens when u keep sacking managers and backing the next, a stockpile of overpriced and over paid players 

true but i still think we could be far more organised and difficult to beat even with the players we have but i agree about being hamstrung but that shouldn't have stopped GR getting some energy  and creativity into our midfield which he has not yet done...even before GR was here how comes Hudds were looking at players like Mooy and got him on loan yet we seem devoid of ideas regarding relatively unknown players  our inefficiencies go back a while now....I still say our scouting is crap....which does not help GR either

7 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

It's still early days, hard to truly judge, but I haven't seen evidence on the pitch with any regularity that suggests he's some kind of Brian Clough. The Hull performance (after two defeats since) looks a one-off. I didn't see the game as a 5-0 mauling anyway, I just thought Hull were atrocious and we scored almost every time we had a shot. One of those nights. I've been to the last two away games and we fold so easily and the lack of pace, the lack of players willing to just keep the ball between them, it's startling. 

The likes of Hughes and even Butterfield would at least keep possession. I hope I'm massively wrong, but with our central midfield options, we'll get blown away by most sides away from home. As a home side, you're expected to come out firing, I think we fare well ourselves in that regard. But it kills us away from home. We can't hack it. The home sides just throttle us. Far too many ageing players with no mobility. 

But all this is just opinion. And it is early in GR's tenure still. I just look at our summer window business and shake my head. We've seemingly shunted all of our creative talent. I understand Ince going, even though he was our star man. I don't think we had a choice there. He wanted the Premier League. But letting the other three in midfield go and only adding a midfielder we just didn't need, it baffles me. It also goes against everything GR said to us early summer when he spoke of the players he'd like to add. 

So in essence, I'm not 'sure' he's up to this job, to answer the question.

My understanding is that he was quite happy here but Rowett contacted him to say Huddersfield were interested and didn't seem to make an effort to persuade him to stay. At least that was gist of the Sky interview Ince did at the time of signing for Huddersfield.

As for Rowett I was at Brentford almost 6 months ago when they dismantled us with their free flowing football and I was at Bristol on Saturday when City did the same. Nothing has changed between then and now. We had no answer to their pacy attacking style, no answer to their one touch football, no ability to win or retain second balls, no attacking midfield threat and relied almost exclusively on hoofing the ball out to the wings. It was miserable to watch and to see how far we have fallen compared to other teams in this division.

Personally I do not think Rowett is up to the job. His footballing style is industrial and out of date, great for League 1/2 but not good enough for the Championship and I do not think we will get promoted under him. However, if we sack him this season we will just go through the same old cycle so he should be given at least the rest of the season before Mel even considers his options.

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 19:44, MackworthRamIsGod said:

For me Gary, Mel and whoever else had a catastrophic transfer window, Rowett made a rod for his own back when he talked openly about big rebuilds, the squad bearing no resemblance, top 2 finishes, players of high quality being signed.

He failed to deliver a lot of what was promised and significantly weakened us in midfield, had the 3 amigos been here instead of Mel, we would have gone mental on transfer deadline day.

Its time to acknowledge, we had our chance at Wembley and we blew it, we need to stop signing ex prem players like Huddlestone and Davies, both who suffered relegation, and start signing players with hunger and desire (another promise from Rowett he didn't deliver on).

So many things wrong at the club to just point the finger at Rowett though.

What exactly?

9 hours ago, Mikeyboy said:

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Kevin Summerfield, who was the brains behind the success at Burton (what bit there was). Kevin could spot a player and they made some good signings, which became the backbone of the team that got up to the Championship. 

He was also tactically astute and his system could grind out results at that level, but his strength would have been Leagues 1 and 2, where he spent almost all of his career. Mark Sale also played his football almost exclusively in the lower leagues. 

Gary was the front man, who could talk effectively and put a very good spin on things with the media and when recruiting players. But for me the critical thing is - they were doing it in League 2 with Burton and even at that level it was tedious stuff. 

I am not surprised he got the job as he is eloquent, with excellent professional impact and a good story to tell but surely what he has actually achieved in the game should have been put under greater scrutiny. 

A similar set up that Clough had, only in his case it was his name that carried him not his erudition. Rowett talks a good talk...

51 minutes ago, Jayram said:

As for Rowett I was at Brentford almost 6 months ago when they dismantled us with their free flowing football and I was at Bristol on Saturday when City did the same. Nothing has changed between then and now. We had no answer to their pacy attacking style, no answer to their one touch football, no ability to win or retain second balls, no attacking midfield threat and relied almost exclusively on hoofing the ball out to the wings. It was miserable to watch and to see how far we have fallen compared to other teams in this division.

Personally I do not think Rowett is up to the job. His footballing style is industrial and out of date, great for League 1/2 but not good enough for the Championship and I do not think we will get promoted under him. However, if we sack him this season we will just go through the same old cycle so he should be given at least the rest of the season before Mel even considers his options.

I can't see how the second paragraph necessarily follows from the first. If the first is true then Mel needs to sack him asap! To be upsettingly honest I'd rather have Darren Wassall in charge! :o

There is nothing wrong with our current manager or for that matter any of our previous managers going back to NC.

Its the squad of players (midfield mainly) that is the problem and has been for all of this century. Having said that there is no major overhaul needed just a couple of midfielders of the right type and we'll be flying.

38 minutes ago, Bwash_Ram said:

There is nothing wrong with our current manager or for that matter any of our previous managers going back to NC.

Its the squad of players (midfield mainly) that is the problem and has been for all of this century. Having said that there is no major overhaul needed just a couple of midfielders of the right type and we'll be flying.

I raise you Nigel Pearson

I feel like Gary just needs to trust himself. I think he's already arrived at a potential solution but he's too scared of changing a winning team and then losing.

What did he say in an interview the other day? That he watched old videos of Johnson playing tucked in on the left and realised that playing him there would be good away from home, and that it would help us inject strength into the team.

What did he do the next away game? Stick with his winning team from the previous game. 

After his interview I was expecting something like this on Saturday:

Carson
Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth
         Huddlestone Baird
  Lawrence   Vydra    Johnson
                    Martin

Big, strong and resilient. Everything he said that he wanted away from home. I'm not saying that he should pick that exact team, it might struggle for pace, but it would be great to see him try something away from home. It's clearly our problem area and just sticking with the same team from the game before isn't working.

We shouldn't have sacked Mac1. Once we went with the untested Clement, we had to give him time, but we didn't and once Mel entered the dressing room Clement was finished. Wassall did a reasonable job and was probably best suited to continue on from the style of Mac1 but that would have been a gamble. Pearson, what a mess that was, right choice to be sacked. Mac2 should have been allowed to see out the season at least, otherwise why bother getting him back. Which leads us on to Rowett...

Rowett certainly talks a good game, all his pre-season talk of knowing what needed to be done and all this, yet I am struggling to see much evidence of this so far. He has tried to shake up the squad which has definitely been needed. I don't think he has had the clear out he wanted, so we are in this position of having various ingredients to make several different meals, but not the full ingredients for a single one. With all that has gone before, Rowett has to have the season and next to actually hope we have a squad that has a single identity. Only if we are faced with a serious threat of relegation should something happen.

Much of this current mess is created by having an itchy trigger finger at the top and appointments that do not follow on the same identity. We have to be realistic and lower our expectations for this season.

34 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

What did he say in an interview the other day? That he watched old videos of Johnson playing tucked in on the left and realised that playing him there would be good away from home, and that it would help us inject strength into the team.

After his interview I was expecting something like this on Saturday:

Carson
         Huddlestone Baird
  Lawrence   Vydra    Johnson
                    Martin

But that isn't 'tucked in on the left'. At least not in the way Johnson was being used at Norwich. They played a 442 diamond, with Johnson on the left of the 4 - in effect he was doing the same job that Bryson did for McClaren (albeit in a much more direct system).  

The way Rowett wants us to play seemingly involves a lot of balls over the top for wingers to run onto, and Johnson is never going to be able to do that.  So if he gets stuck out wide, he either ends up sitting deep and we lack support in the final third (and the only gain is that the opposition now have 3 static midfielders to run past instead of 2). Or he ends up pushing right up and we leave a gaping hole in front of the left back.

If we want to use Johnson in a similar way to Norwich but in a 4231, we need a forward that can hold the ball up, and then let Johnson play in the hole behind and just cause havoc there, barge about, knock people over, get on all the loose balls and knockdowns etc. We'd also need a mobile midfielder to play in the 2 alongside Huddlestone, and we'd have to drop Vydra too, so I don't see what we're gaining.

29 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

But that isn't 'tucked in on the left'. At least not in the way Johnson was being used at Norwich. They played a 442 diamond, with Johnson on the left of the 4 - in effect he was doing the same job that Bryson did for McClaren (albeit in a much more direct system).  

The way Rowett wants us to play seemingly involves a lot of balls over the top for wingers to run onto, and Johnson is never going to be able to do that.  So if he gets stuck out wide, he either ends up sitting deep and we lack support in the final third (and the only gain is that the opposition now have 3 static midfielders to run past instead of 2). Or he ends up pushing right up and we leave a gaping hole in front of the left back.

If we want to use Johnson in a similar way to Norwich but in a 4231, we need a forward that can hold the ball up, and then let Johnson play in the hole behind and just cause havoc there, barge about, knock people over, get on all the loose balls and knockdowns etc. We'd also need a mobile midfielder to play in the 2 alongside Huddlestone, and we'd have to drop Vydra too, so I don't see what we're gaining.

How about this then based on the above

Carson
                 Thorne
      Lawrence     Johnson
                 Vydra
      Martin          Winnall

I guess you can substitute in Olsson / Nugent as you see fit

Archived