Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

I don't share his approach to football. I actually hate it.

But surely he has to be given time to rebuild his own team, then we can judge is Rowett up to a job or not. Next summer with all the ending contracts and their replacements should be the culmination point of his career at Derby.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dimmu said:

But surely he has to be given time to rebuild his own team, then we can judge is Rowett up to a job or not. Next summer with all the ending contracts and their replacements should be the culmination point of his career at Derby.

Did you hate the style of play when we beat Hull 5-0?

Just curious, because in my view many of the values that Rowett is trying to drill into this team came off that night.

4 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I absolutely agree 100% with this. Either Mel has faith in his manager, so allows him time to develop his team in his style, or he's the wrong manager. Too many changes of manager in too short a time implies we aren't getting the right man. Ultimately out failings in recent years has to come back to the manager recruitment. Why has finding the right man been so difficult?

6 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Did you hate the style of play when we beat Hull 5-0?

Just curious, because in my view many of the values that Rowett is trying to drill into this team came off that night.

Fundamentally my vision of how football should be played is totally different. Which one is better or worse is a different story though. Leicester won the league with an approach closer to Rowett's than mine but so did Juventus, which would closer to mine than Rowett's.

10 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I absolutely agree 100% with this. Either Mel has faith in his manager, so allows him time to develop his team in his style, or he's the wrong manager. Too many changes of manager in too short a time implies we aren't getting the right man. Ultimately out failings in recent years has to come back to the manager recruitment. Why has finding the right man been so difficult?

We could do with a proper recruitment team. No matter are we talking about managers or players :blink:

I'm agreeing with you totally. Manager recruitment and lack of clear vision where our team is heading have been our Achilles heel in recent years.

11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Hit and miss. Some people fit right in others don't. The best example I can give is the great Brian Clough. He fitted in well at Derby but not Leeds. It didn't mean he was useless when he went to Leeds he just didn't suit the club.

Personally, I like to see quick breaks out of defence in football. I can't stand the idea of our midfield and defence taking 2 minutes to get the ball into an attacking position, by which time the opposition have dug in and left little space to work in. 

Not long ball, hoof it up to the big man football, but a style where the ball is always moving forwards. Catching a team out of position. Direct passing to pacy wingers. 

I could fall asleep watching some "stylish" teams. Barcelona at home are a snoozefest

4 minutes ago, hkrammm said:

And the DCFC players in the squad ATM (after the sale of flair players like Hughes and Ince) are at most Iceland's level rather than Germany's. 

That's the same Iceland who knocked mighty England out of the most recent European Championships? So all's not lost then?

On 9/18/2017 at 00:10, Warren Hobhead said:

It's still early days, hard to truly judge, but I haven't seen evidence on the pitch with any regularity that suggests he's some kind of Brian Clough.

1966/1967 League Div 2  17th (Manager T Ward)

1967/1968 League Div 2 18th (Manager  B Clough)

1968/1969 League Div 2 1st ( Manager B Clough)

As you say, too early to judge.

I remember me dad and me uncles talking after they got back from a match, and one of them saying:

"They  should never have got rid of Ward".

The reply was summat like:

"Well this new bloke anna pulled up any trees yet. but you've gorra gi' 'im a chance, 'E's only bin 'ere five minutes, we'll just avta wait an' see 'ow 'e gets on.

Seems to me that we're  gonna have to do the same and " See 'ow 'e gets on".

Judging by some of the comments in this thread, there's plenty on here ( not you Warren Hobhead ) that would have sacked Brian Clough sometime in the winter of '67/'68.

15 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

"Well this new bloke anna pulled up any trees yet. but you've gorra gi' 'im a chance, 'E's only bin 'ere five minutes, we'll just avta wait an' see 'ow 'e gets on.

Seems to me that we're  gonna have to do the same and " See 'ow 'e gets on".

It's not the same game though. I bet Mel gives him until Christmas to get us looking like contenders, then  if we're languishing there'd still be time and the Jan window for the new man! :D

2 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Wish everyone would calm down. The team is being rebuilt & it's going to take time. It's not a game of Football Manager & it won't be until after 2 more transfer windows that GR can be judged. We aren't going to get promoted this season & we won't get relegated. It'll be exactly the same end result as the last 3 years although finally someone will have made a real fist of the rebuilding that has been long overdue.

Results like today are an inevitable part of the rebuilding process. I wish everyone calling for GR's head would get things into perspective  & lose this sense of over entitlement that seems to have become more widespread since the playoff final. Another change in manager is not the answer & would more than likely  send us plunging towards  the relegaton zone. We need to back the manager, trust his judgement & support the team.

This post is probably better in this topic

Archived