Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

We have needed a mobile defensive midfielder to sit in front of the back four since Thorne got injured against the Russians. 

No manager has filled that void, and given the money we have spent in different, less crucial areas, that's unforgivable imo. GR must take some blame for not doing that this year. 

Either build a defence that doesn't need protecting, or sign protection. 

They don't even need to be that mobile.   Eustace was hardly in the first flush of youth but had enough nous to play the role effectively, admittedly without Thorne's long range passing and goals.   It helped having the legs of Bryson in the three, but Weimann, Russell, Anya and Vydra have all got the ability to run around...unfortunately too often in pointless directions.

I think all defences need some protection.   The way Bristol City cut through the midfield and exposed the back four in the last hour would have put more impressive defenders than Keogh and Davies under pressure

14 hours ago, Adslegend said:

I'm not sure. Obviously I hope that he is and hope that he gets it right. He will need to be given time as would anyone else who took over. From what we've seen since he took charge we've lacked the consistency required to challenge for promotion. 

I'd have rather the time have been given to McClaren to be completely honest. I think he'd be able to get something extra out of the current squad and also may have been able to keep hold of one of Hughes or Ince. 

Of course that's all hypothetical and we have to make do with what we have right now.

I would've preferred McClaren to be given the time too for several reasons, none of which are a slight on Rowett. Funnily enough, I agree with the two reasons you mention but only as a matter of degree. Mac did announce that this squad needed to be deconstructed and I don't believe it was just a line to save his job (in before the Mac haters). I think he genuinely acknowledged the squad was 'damaged goods' and needed an overhaul; to me, he sounded like a man who knew he was never going to get the chance but wanted it on the record.

The last part is why I suspect he could have handled the overhaul in a less adversarial manner with the players. His preference was to hold those discussions privately, not play to the fans. That he was being wrongly depicted as taking a "do nothing" approach to justify his replacement with Rowett demanded a public response.

Rowett, on the other hand, appeared to have a remit from the chairman to put the players on notice; ironically the Pearsonesque approach which always bore the same risk as consumed Pearson if the players could not be moved on over summer. Plus, of course, McClaren had a relationship with the players that Rowett didn't.

Whether that relationship would've kept either Hughes or Ince at Derby once EPL clubs came knocking, I doubt it.

But it could not have hurt, particularly if it was symptomatic of a period of stability under Mac. Let's face it: if you were Hughes or Ince, regardless of how impressive you found Rowett, you would have to have asked yourself, "what will happen when the inevitable run of bad results happen?" Hughes, in particular, sacrificed a fair bit in buying into the vision of the Derby Way.

More the point for me is our record of making panicked decisions and pre-emptively removing managers before they have had sufficient time to have any real impact. I also admit that I suspected Mel always preferred Rowett and McClaren's second stint was always merely a stop gap.

If Mel's record of treating managers disrespectfully was not to end with McClaren, it simply has to end with Rowett. We cannot keep changing direction every half season or so.

3 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

If Mel's record of treating managers disrespectfully was not to end with McClaren, it simply has to end with Rowett. We cannot keep changing direction every half season or so.

Why not, Watford have had about 7 managers in the past 3 years they seem to be doing pretty well. 

50 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

we as fans need to support Gary , not question his ability every time we lose , he is capable of sorting this out but he needs time , us fans need to realise this season is going to be a rollercoaster ride with highs and lows , stick with Gary and lets try and move forward together

Good point we do need a bit of unity as a club moving forward. However GR has mentioned his exasperation, a couple of times recently in his post match interviews, at how we pass it about too much. Yes in the past we have been guilty of overplaying it and trying to walk it into the net but on the flip side you can't always lump it forward at every opportunity. Sometimes when teams sit deep you have to try and draw them out and wait for the right moment to play that killer pass.

Even if we were to win the league we'd still lose games along the way & Although we'd like to, we unfortunately cant win them all. 

The year Hull went up via the playoffs we smashed them in the league. Every team that goes up faces defeat amd newcastle struggled in spells last year. Bristol wasnt an ideal result but as usual there has been a complete over reaction. I still think we'll win more than we'll lose and we'll be sniffing around the playoffs by the time we face forest at home which if we are honest is probably our level 

The fact so many of us are giving there own solutions to our problems tells its own story...all is definitely not as we'd currently like it to be....I remember the feel good factor of when Mac got us really going with Cloughs players and a few loans that made us a team to reckon with...at that time not many questioned much because it was good and there was a real buzz and i was confident going to a lot of games that if we played as we could we'd be too good for the opposition...Brighton away and home in play off semi final really showed what we were all about although we just didn't make it at wembley we were a good side, no doubt.

Now it seems a bit of a mess and although not all GR's fault he is now at the helm so must sort it whether by organising us better or having a game plan especially away from home.

I've said this before but what i don't wear is that he needs loads of time to sort it out...time yes...loads of time no!

Ive used Wagner as an example before but he came to Huddersfield and turned them from relegation candidates to being promoted using good loans like Mooy and relatively cheap players who are hungry and determined...i can't remember them conceding 3s and 4s away from home like we are at the moment because they were organised and also played pretty decent football.

I too want Rowett to succeed who doesnt on here,  but i really wanted to see him hit the ground running and that definitely has not happened but we live in hope he can succeed.

Regarding yesterday a lot of fans could see our midfield was a problem yesterday and yet was not changed at HT and that is dissapointing because it was only a matter of time until they scored.( did anyone else think change something ? )

The Jury is out but GR seems a very decent bloke who speaks well and being an ex player he fits the bill in many ways....whether or not he is what we need to get where we want to go though is debatable hence the posts on here.

I really hope he is learning from his mistakes as he could still come good for us but for me needs to be more ruthless and go with younger players with hunger and energy and be hard to beat and score against especially away from home. COYR

3 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Why not, Watford have had about 7 managers in the past 3 years they seem to be doing pretty well. 

But Watford don't keep changing style when they change manager. They have an overall philosophy at the club, and appoint managers that will follow that.  Our last 5 manager have all been radically different in style to the previous one, which is why we've got such a mess of a squad.

24 minutes ago, Saity said:

Ive used Wagner as an example before but he came to Huddersfield and turned them from relegation candidates to being promoted using good loans like Mooy and relatively cheap players who are hungry and determined...i can't remember them conceding 3s and 4s away from home like we are at the moment because they were organised and also played pretty decent football.

Worth noting that Wagner didn't have to clear out the squad. 

He sold their stars and built a new team with the money.

Is Rowett up to the job - i don't know.

he has made a conscious decision to play a certain way and has bent the squad into a certain shape to suit

the last day of the transfer window was pure tommy doc

And has he said why the players were sent back out early v bristol? Smacks a bit of phil brown and thats also a worry.

fingers crossed.

31 minutes ago, cannable said:

Worth noting that Wagner didn't have to clear out the squad. 

He sold their stars and built a new team with the money.

Wagna wasnt hamstrung by what appears to be a dehabilitating wage bill on players that nobody wants.

the two scenarios are not comparable 

we sold our stars and still needed to ship out before we could bring in.

but thats what happens when u keep sacking managers and backing the next, a stockpile of overpriced and over paid players 

Archived