Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

He needs until Christmas 2018 minimum. I'm expecting nothing more than mid table this season, not wrist slashing because of a couple of bad results, but because he's inherited a squad of overpaid underachievers. Hopefully we can shift a few in Jan then the rest next summer. Recruit sensibly and go for it next season.

Anything above mid table this season would be a bonus. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, hkrammm said:

Four transfer windows sound about right -- the end of which Davies (34) and Huddlestone (32) hang up their boots and rebuild completed. 

Huddlestone?

All he needs to do is stand in the centre-circle and spray it. Barring injuries he'll still be performing into his late thirties.

34 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

No,he was sacked by Birmingham today!

That thud you heard all the way from Melbourne was me....thanks...just quickly consulting Dr Google to make sure (a) the wound on my head is nothing serious; and (b) that you were joking about 'Arry being sacked.....

O. M. G....I really hadn't heard that until now...

At least we know Mel doesn't have a history of waiting until Birmingham sack a manager and then appointing him...:p

Rowett needs time. Will he get it, I'm not sure. Lots of failings at the moment, but only a week ago he got exactly the same side to put on a tremendous performance against Hull, although the scoreline flattered us. 

Getting this squad of players to deliver consistently is a thankless task. He has had a go at single handedly moving on some of the underperforming squad players, but obviously also needed funds for any kind of incomings.

We've been woeful away against Brizzle, We were overrun by Sheffield United although played a bit better. Wolves tore us to shreds. We've been good in patches but dire in others. 

Who takes the blame for the Massive balls up in the transfer window to allow Bryson to leave and then fail to sign 'Keith'. Transfer window was Rowett's attempt to gut the squad, but he was unsuccessful in bringing in enough players with youth and energy and drive back in. 

Loss of transfer maestro with Sam Rush departing and not being replaced is poor club management by MM. Rowett ends up taking the flak. 

23 minutes ago, Stimacked said:

Rowett needs time. Will he get it, I'm not sure. Lots of failings at the moment, but only a week ago he got exactly the same side to put on a tremendous performance against Hull, although the scoreline flattered us. 

Getting this squad of players to deliver consistently is a thankless task. He has had a go at single handedly moving on some of the underperforming squad players, but obviously also needed funds for any kind of incomings.

We've been woeful away against Brizzle, We were overrun by Sheffield United although played a bit better. Wolves tore us to shreds. We've been good in patches but dire in others. 

Who takes the blame for the Massive balls up in the transfer window to allow Bryson to leave and then fail to sign 'Keith'. Transfer window was Rowett's attempt to gut the squad, but he was unsuccessful in bringing in enough players with youth and energy and drive back in. 

Loss of transfer maestro with Sam Rush departing and not being replaced is poor club management by MM. Rowett ends up taking the flak. 

To be fair,Gary stated he wants to organise the transfers,he considers it part of the job.

It's clearly harder than it looks

I'm not sure. Obviously I hope that he is and hope that he gets it right. He will need to be given time as would anyone else who took over. From what we've seen since he took charge we've lacked the consistency required to challenge for promotion. 

I'd have rather the time have been given to McClaren to be completely honest. I think he'd be able to get something extra out of the current squad and also may have been able to keep hold of one of Hughes or Ince. 

Of course that's all hypothetical and we have to make do with what we have right now.

2 hours ago, Stimacked said:

Is a 'maestro' someone who lands you in the poo?

Ramblur no it isn't and seemed he may have been behind some of the overpaid dross that we are stuck with when MM was splashing the cash like there was no tomorrow.  Still, it appears Rowett did struggle to handle the transfers effectively on the whole, despite the Lawrence deal. Now he'll have to hang on to his job with fans and the chairman on his back with the team unbalanced results likely to be hit and miss each week. 

26 minutes ago, Raminphilippines said:

Wassall I think for an inexperienced manager he did a good job last time and I was disappointed we did not give him another season.

Wassall looks pretty good in hindsight compared to everyone else. He just happened to be in at time when expectation was through the roof, and he was less experienced with the media. It's pretty interesting that him and McClaren had the better spells out of all our recent managers but didn't get to spend anywhere near the amount of money too. Either of them with a fully fit Thorne and Martin could do a better job, not to mention giving them Wisdom, Lawrence, Hudds etc.

I really do have question marks over Rowett. I like most want him to succeed but clearly the way he is trying to play does not suit some of our players. If Rowett wants to drift away from possession based football that we have played in recent years then thats up to him, however when is he going to learn that Huddlestone and Thorne are both players who will not chase down opposition midfielders. They will take their talent and say it's good enough to outplay the opponent and not out run the opponent. 

The current team has no blend and it's a complete mish-mash. Yes some on here will say but we beat Hull 5-0. That game our finishing was better than theirs and my belief is, it was a match contested by two poor sides. 

I'm sorry but we haven't progressed since the 4-0 hammering that Brentford gave us last year when GR had just took over. Also we are so light in midfield that it is embarrassing. GR has only himself to blame for that so any rubbish about deadline day I won't except as he's had all summer to get his type of midfielders in.

On 8/28/2017 at 10:53, toddy said:

There is no doubt GR is up to the job, its a whether you want to watch pretty football or an alternative of huff it up. Either way results are what he will be judged upon. Personally i do think he needs to still offload 6 or so  players and bring in those that he wants to. Trouble is if we dont get results will Mel still keep him?

Yes in an ideal world we could do with trimming the staff however that still leaves him a big choice when team selection comes aroundits time he rang the changes what we need more han anything is midfielders who can move and show so skillAll the hard work comes to nothing without skill

10 hours ago, Stimacked said:

This is a different squad of players. But as Mac2 told Mel some needed moving on. Don't think GR has done a good job tbh. I think Wisdom and Lawrence might be good signings, but Huddz and Davies could easily have been left at Hull. Bryson out? Butterfield and Blackman out are the best bits, but seriously that's pretty poor.

Archived