Sheffield United v Derby County

Mafiabob

I'm going to add a bit more of a constructive point:

1st half: I wasn't at the Wolves game, nor did I feel the need to watch it back, but I would be surprised if we played that badly. We were incredibly sloppy and our system was completely muted by theirs. They had done their homework on us, they knew the areas where we would be light with players and packed it. Huddlestone & Johnson had four-five players to contend with at times. Weimann, Russell & Vydra buzzed about, but when Yernightud had the ball, they went back into formation and packed those middling areas that's not quite anyone's 'space' in particular. Ultimately leading to them with most of the ball in the first half, hence the two goals. Although, I do think there's nothing I can say about Russell's goal that no one else has already said - It was atrocious. I missed the first, thankfully for my sins.

2nd half: Now, forget the last minute madness, in which I agree with Tibbs about Rowett's decision to let Carson go for the half way line free kick. I guess it doesn't matter, but it was just bizarre. Where was I, oh yeah, the second half: we started lively and really took hold of the game when Bryson came on. Vydra did well on the left, Lawrence showed glimpses of his obvious quality & Martin's link up play took hold. Bryson giving us an extra man in midfield was the largest difference. I don't think we deserved anything out of the game, testiment to how bad we were in the first half, but we were by far the stronger team in the second.

My ratings: Carson - 6; Wisdom - 5, Keogh - 7, Davies - 4; Olsson - 6; Huddlestone - 5, BJohnson - 4; Russell - 4, Vydra - 5, Weimann - 4; Nugent - 4.
Bryson - 7, Martin - 6, Lawrence - 6.

Keogh MOTM for me, Olsson in second.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Watched plenty over the past 15 years chap, cheers for the reccomendation though. 

It hardly ever works when it's a direct ball into the box, this wasn't. This was another hopeless punt to the left hand edge of the 18, away from Carson and most of our players.  

Wouldn't have had an issue if it was a corner or free kick from a reasonable area. It wasn't, it was on our half way line almost. Stand by what I said, awful decision by the manager. 

I really don't understand that tactic.

its not a bleeding cup tie.

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'm going to add a bit more of a constructive point:

1st half: I wasn't at the Wolves game, nor did I feel the need to watch it back, but I would be surprised if we played that badly. We were incredibly sloppy and our system was completely muted by theirs. They had done their homework on us, they knew the areas where we would be light with players and packed it. Huddlestone & Johnson had four-five players to contend with at times. Weimann, Russell & Vydra buzzed about, but when Yernightud had the ball, they went back into formation and packed those middling areas that's not quite anyone's 'space' in particular. Ultimately leading to them with most of the ball in the first half, hence the two goals. Although, I do think there's nothing I can say about Russell's goal that no one else has already said - It was atrocious. I missed the first, thankfully for my sins.

2nd half: Now, forget the last minute madness, in which I agree with Tibbs about Rowett's decision to let Carson go for the half way line free kick. I guess it doesn't matter, but it was just bizarre. Where was I, oh yeah, the second half: we started lively and really took hold of the game when Bryson came on. Vydra did well on the left, Lawrence showed glimpses of his obvious quality & Martin's link up play took hold. Bryson giving us an extra man in midfield was the largest difference. I don't think we deserved anything out of the game, testiment to how bad we were in the first half, but we were by far the stronger team in the second.

My ratings: Carson - 6; Wisdom - 5, Keogh - 7, Davies - 4; Olsson - 6; Huddlestone - 5, BJohnson - 4; Russell - 4, Vydra - 5, Weimann - 4; Nugent - 4.
Bryson - 7, Martin - 6, Lawrence - 6.

Keogh MOTM for me, Olsson in second.

What did Wisdom do that made him worse than Olsson? 

Olsson got into good positions a few times but lacked the quality to do anything specifically when he beat their line and tamely rolled the ball into their first man... 

How narrow was the pitch? 

Unfortunately we are looking like a mid table team who will win one, lose one. 

The football got a bit tedious for the last 30 mins, give to Huddlestone deep and he will dink it forward looking for knock downs......

Didn't like Wisdoms anger towards his team mates, keep that for the dressing room and training pitch. 

I really don't get Gary's persistence with Weiman and Johnson and Russell, but he's the manager. I don't think he's far away from blooding a few youngsters. 

First time at Bramell lane, proper stadium. 

3 hours ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Andre Wisdom says the game was lost after 20 minutes, says the rest of the squad felt that as well. Think that says everything about the mentality of the group. Same old, same old..

Of course he didn't say that. And all the rest of you who are lapping up such drivel, is there not an ounce of critical faculty between any of you? Might you not, for instance, spend 30 seconds listening to the start of his interview to realize this is not true? Or do you just believe everything you read on the internet?

What he actually said, from a perspective of looking back on the match after it had finished, is that "the game was lost in the first twenty minutes". I think that's a reasonable analysis meaning we started badly and gave away a sloppy goal. On no planet does it mean, we gave up any chance of saving the match at that point.

19 minutes ago, wingfieldram said:

I put a tenner on when it was 50/1. Was totally convinced at the time.

Had a ten fold on £1 stake. Had won 4 last night. The other 6 matches were 3pm kick off's. Derby conceded early on. All the other legs came in. I'd have won £999. Sad times.

5 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Can it really be manager after manager can not get the best out of our squad ?

McClaren

Clement

Wassall

Pearson

Powell

McClaren

Rowett

have all had a crack at it or is it that we have a few bad apples in the mix that have been there since the start,

something is inherently wrong !

mitchell

forsyth

shackell

keogh

hanson

bryson

thorne

martin

russell

bennett

bent

add onto those

Johnson

butterfield

is it the manager or is it the squad

Powell had a 100% win ratio I rhink

The opening goal inside five minutes killed us. You could confidently predict there was no way back for us from there.

Under Rowett, especially away from home, we are not positive, we don't impose ourselves, we don't control games and we don't play on the front foot. If you control games and you concede an early goal, it's no time to panic as you will grow into the game, exert pressure and chances (and goals) will come sooner or later.

But when you play like we are doing under Rowett, you need to keep it tight to give yourself a fighting chance. But when you concede such poor goals like we did today and especially so early on, the game will quickly get away from you.

Teams will find holes in any system we play. 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 6-1-3, it doesn't matter. So I don't think we can be too critical of the system or the team selection. Most people would agree with the principle of sticking with a winning team.

What concerns me is the lack of identity in this team and the lack of spirit. We are not solid, well drilled, well organised and hard to beat, and we are not brave, positive and in full flow. Where do we build from? It's not really a team. It's just 11 good individuals assembled under a backdrop of instability.

Even without Ince and Hughes, we have a capable squad - a squad with experience and quality - but is it being coached and managed correctly? I don't get the sense that the players are playing for the manager, buying into his methods, and giving everything. Rowett is fighting a losing battle. He can't get that extra 15-20% from the players and get them to leave everything on the pitch. That's the least you will ask for.

So Mel has a decision to make. If he really believes in Rowett, stick with him and give him 3-4 windows to assemble his own side with players he wants and most importantly players that can play how he wants. That's the only way Rowett will get us up, if at all.

If there are any doubts, let's not go through what we did last season - simply reassess everything at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

The opening goal inside five minutes killed us. You could confidently predict there was no way back for us from there.

Under Rowett, especially away from home, we are not positive, we don't impose ourselves, we don't control games and we don't play on the front foot. If you control games and you concede an early goal, it's no time to panic as you will grow into the game, exert pressure and chances (and goals) will come sooner or later.

But when you play like we are doing under Rowett, you need to keep it tight to give yourself a fighting chance. But when you concede such poor goals like we did today and especially so early on, the game will quickly get away from you.

Teams will find holes in any system we play. 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 6-1-3, it doesn't matter. So I don't think we can be too critical of the system or the team selection. Most people would agree with the principle of sticking with a winning team.

What concerns me is the lack of identity in this team and the lack of spirit. We are not solid, well drilled, well organised and hard to beat, and we are not brave, positive and in full flow. Where do we build from? It's not really a team. It's just 11 good individuals assembled under a backdrop of instability.

Even without Ince and Hughes, we have a capable squad - a squad with experience and quality - but is it being coached and managed correctly? I don't get the sense that the players are playing for the manager, buying into his methods, and giving everything. Rowett is fighting a losing battle. He can't get that extra 15-20% from the players and get them to leave everything on the pitch. That's the least you will ask for.

So Mel has a decision to make. If he really believes in Rowett, stick with him and give him 3-4 windows to assemble his own side with players he wants and most importantly players that can play how he wants. That's the only way Rowett will get us up, if at all.

If there are any doubts, let's not go through what we did last season - simply reassess everything at the end of the season.

Martin and vydra can't score, simples.  We had more than enough chances to win today but we had nobody with the capability 

I said at the start of the season that all I wanted this season was to be able to watch games and think "I know what we're trying to do here, there's a plan."

Sadly, after the first month I haven't thought that. 

It's the same, slow, laboured football only now it's less about playing football and more about going direct. 

I also predicted mid table. I've seen little to change that opinion. 

Fuming tonight. I don't usually get like this. But I'll leave it there. 

Well played Bryson though. I felt he brought some zip in midfield. It's clear GR likes his big and strong midfielders, but christ it's about as dynamic as my dead gran.

26 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Did anyone else notice Martin near the end of the game,shouting out in despair,

'Just pass me the f****** ball'

I'm clueless at football tactics but I think lofted balls into the corners for Martin to chase are not the way forward.

They are the way forward. Trouble is they don't stay forward for very long. 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Of course he didn't say that. And all the rest of you who are lapping up such drivel, is there not an ounce of critical faculty between any of you? Might you not, for instance, spend 30 seconds listening to the start of his interview to realize this is not true? Or do you just believe everything you read on the internet?

What he actually said, from a perspective of looking back on the match after it had finished, is that "the game was lost in the first twenty minutes". I think that's a reasonable analysis meaning we started badly and gave away a sloppy goal. On no planet does it mean, we gave up any chance of saving the match at that point.

Saved me a post!

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well you put £30k on another thread, it increased to £35k on this one, so at the rate he gets pay rises I guess he must be on £40k this morning.

Well what ever it is it's to much at the moment, he needs a rest, it's not just the last few games, he has been out of form for the whole of 2017 but has retained his starting place, he was always admired for his tenacity and effort but now he is just sauntering around.

Archived