Sheffield United v Derby County

Mafiabob

2 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Well what ever it is it's to much at the moment, he needs a rest, it's not just the last few games, he has been out of form for the whole of 2017 but has retained his starting place, he was always admired for his tenacity and effort but now he is just sauntering around.

What he is being paid is irrelevant. 

Can't argue that he is out of form though.

For me he's never been the same since Ince took his place on the right wing.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stayed around a little longer than usual after the game yesterday (I was a bit shaken by the bloke yelling abuse at me so took a minute to chill).

What I saw was the whole of the Sheffield United team walking round the perimeter together clapping their fans. It was as if they'd just won a really important game. I think other clubs still see us as a big scalp. (Little do they know! :lol:) I also see this as a reflection of what it takes to win matches at this level - team spirit and togetherness.

That's  what I saw on the pitch from Sheffield throughout the game - players willing to run and cover for each other, create space, offer a pass and hassle the opposition. I didn’t see any of that from our team yesterday - yes from individuals and at certain times but not collectively for 97 minutes.

I think this might be Rowett's biggest challenge - how to get that passion and togetherness back into the team. 

Great day out but spoiled by the actual match

five vs two in midfield was obviously going to be a major problem as the first half showed, Huddlestone could have turned with the ball from what I could see before pinging it to Carson who could have controlled it or kicked it into touch but panicked the ball into the edge of the area but it's not the first time I have seen him do that on his left foot, please stop it. The own goal well that happens but it shouldn't happen from your wide players -where were our defenders and central midfielders? - anyway we were out run in midfield which is a major problem at present 

small positives - I thought Martin did well when he came on and nearly scored with a header which the defender blocked and should have been a corner and Bryson showed that he can still nip in with goals 

sheff united- well they were tidy but didn't really create anything and we put everything on a plate for them but let's be straight we created nothing in reality 

Those Sheffield goals really were a comedy of errors all in one game. It's very rare though to concede through your goalkeeper moving up the pitch like that (cannot remember the last time I ever saw that to be honest certainly in a league game). Well done Derby, another first...jeez.

Carson - one save which was decent but nothing else in a positive way

wisdom - cross the ball better please

keogh - not a lot to comment on

davies - see Keogh 

ollson - not a great defender still standing off the ball and a target for a high ball which he hardly ever wins, had some good crossing opportunitys which he didn't do.

huddlestone - bypassed mainly I would say

johnson - he won two back post headers but that was it, we need much more from a central midfielder 

vydra - had a few chances but didn't take them, if he plays in that position he has to be better because we start to lack presence in midfield 

wieman - I didn't see him do anything but be second to every situation 

russell - please nip into the opposition box and score like that! - nothing positive from this game

nugent  - didn't see him involved with little movement 

subs - Lawrence- seems to like to get booked but I can see where he will improve us when we settle down

bryson - nice to see him nip in for a goal but it's hard to come on as a sub in central midfield if you are expected to do everything 

martin - I thought he looked decent in terms of where he was and moving defenders and being available in the correct positions but the ball rarely got near him

Rowett - our formation gives midfield to the opponent- we need to win the battles before the fluffy players take the credit- I would be tempted to put one of those under 23s into midfield to give us some zest and mobility which means we don't play on of those 4 forwards initially 

Refrained from posting last night when I got back , too much alcohol and a bad game of football are not always the greatest recipe for a ramble. 

Had a good day out in Sheffield before the game ( should of gone home afterwards?) . 

We never got going did we ? One of those games or fundamental problems ? I'm undecided , they did a job on us though over crowded our midfield nullified our attack and we let them. 

Carson 5- not his best game and a rare mistake 

Wisdom 6 - battled well lacked a bit going forward

Keogh 7 - thought he was our best again

Davies 4 - harsh but I think he's been poor this season so far 

Ollson 7 - sometimes looked like our only attacking threat

Johnson 4 - poor so inconsistent it's unreal

Huddlestone 5- struggled to get going

Russel 5 - another poor performance such a shame 

Vydra 6 - looked lively should have finished his chance in the first half

Weimann 6 - ran a lot and looked a tad dangerous at times

Nugent 5 - wasn't the game for him

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Of course he didn't say that. And all the rest of you who are lapping up such drivel, is there not an ounce of critical faculty between any of you? Might you not, for instance, spend 30 seconds listening to the start of his interview to realize this is not true? Or do you just believe everything you read on the internet?

What he actually said, from a perspective of looking back on the match after it had finished, is that "the game was lost in the first twenty minutes". I think that's a reasonable analysis meaning we started badly and gave away a sloppy goal. On no planet does it mean, we gave up any chance of saving the match at that point.

Great post. Hopefully everyone reads its before they start abusing player's wives on twitter for giving up after 20 minutes.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I stayed around a little longer than usual after the game yesterday (I was a bit shaken by the bloke yelling abuse at me so took a minute to chill).

What I saw was the whole of the Sheffield United team walking round the perimeter together clapping their fans. It was as if they'd just won a really important game. I think other clubs still see us as a big scalp. (Little do they know! :lol:) I also see this as a reflection of what it takes to win matches at this level - team spirit and togetherness.

That's  what I saw on the pitch from Sheffield throughout the game - players willing to run and cover for each other, create space, offer a pass and hassle the opposition. I didn’t see any of that from our team yesterday - yes from individuals and at certain times but not collectively for 97 minutes.

I think this might be Rowett's biggest challenge - how to get that passion and togetherness back into the team. 

What happened angie?

12 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

What happened angie?

Oh just one of our fans yelling at me because I was clapping our players at the end. Nothing much but there's so much venom with some of them and I don't like being sworn and gesticulated at by our own fans. Other women were complaining of similar in the ladies' loo after the game. 

It can be quite intimidating at times at away matches - it's always the games with the larger 'it's a great day out' sort of following. That is until they are drunk and the team isn't performing well. :unsure:

Maybe I should give some of those games a miss and concentrate on the Tuesday nights at Ipswich! 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Oh just one of our fans yelling at me because I was clapping our players at the end. Nothing much but there's so much venom with some of them and I don't like being sworn and gesticulated at by our own fans. Other women were complaining of similar in the ladies' loo after the game. 

It can be quite intimidating at times at away matches - it's always the games with the larger 'it's a great day out' sort of following. That is until they are drunk and the team isn't performing well. :unsure:

Maybe I should give some of those games a miss and concentrate on the Tuesday nights at Ipswich! 

I first notice this in our 2-1 win at Huddersfield two years ago but really noticed it at the Rotherham 3-3 later that season. Absolutely toxic to those everyone around them. I take my lad with me so I pick my games now. 

17 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Workman like. Team performance. Determination. Desire. Should I go on?

No.

I take it you'd be happy with Derby not registering a shot on target (goal excepted) or any notable clinical play during the entire half  during a home game then.

Thats what they offered up. Darren Bent summarised very similar. I agreed.

Each to their own.

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

Very sad.

I really think this result has been blown out of proportion. It wasnt going to be easy that's for sure Sheff United have been decent so far especially at home. 

Over the course of the game they dominated a large portion of it and threatened multiple times but in all honesty they offered very little. 

Two individual errors from our more experienced players lost us the game. Simple as. We were unlucky throughout, the ball just kept bouncing away from us it seemed. It was just one of those days i think. 

On another day bryson would have stolen it 1-0  the world would be a different place and we would all be praising our great away tactics.

Alas it was not to be. Bring On hull :unsure:....

29 minutes ago, angieram said:

Do not let them win, grown men swearing at women, if I ever see this they will get a slap, we should all stand as one not, not have a go at our own fans, how times have changed, sounds like there needs to be a better spirit between our own fans.

17 minutes ago, Roboram said:

Coutts & Freeman were deemed surplus to requirements a few years ago. We were moving on & bringing in better players.

Yesterday they were both head & shoulders above anything we had.

Sums the last few years up really ?

I was interested to see how they'd play. Freeman never had much of a look in, but Coutts was a very solid performer on the right of midfield (though everyone gave the credit to Brayford making it easy for him).

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Miserable. And "venom" does seem to be the thing with some of them nowadays - and it creates a toxic atmosphere. The icing on the cake after a grim day out for you. Very sorry.

Archived