Sheffield United v Derby County

Mafiabob

Was nt at the game so just going on live commo and comments on here ,,,, we have been poor and getting poorer for some time no matter what players we bring in or what manager manages us so I'm at a loss as to what the real problem is but I kind of think we are at the point where we have to stick with rowett and use his appointment as a starting point for change and accept it's not going to happen overnight ,, to help with this I really think rowett needs to drop his constant assertion that we will be challenging for promotion this season because that's not going to help either , the current squad or the mindset that it seems to be infected with will almost certainly get managers sacked, he needs to make it clear that he is trying to build a team and a club ethos that has been missing for some time now and when we have it then we can look at promotion as an option , at this point we lack real creativity and we lack bite ,, midfield and the wing positions are where we fall down and it's gonna cost money to fix it and more than one window

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LazloW said:

It would be fine if they had any emotion other than misery and negativity.  I'm not expecting them to sugar coat anything or tell us that its brilliant when it isn't, but as 'professional correspondents' they should at least be able to pass their views of the game on without reverting to hysteria or at least do it without bellowing over each other down the microphone.  Its not necessarily what they say, its the way they go about it. Fans are allowed to do that, and do so - but they aren't fans, at least while they are commentating - and as somebody mentioned earlier, when they are the only conduit through which most people who don't go away get any information about the game, then I think they have a responsibility to be at least measured and at least a little bit objective in their approach.  

We were obviously poor again today.  GR wasn't happy and said so.  TBF a lot of what GR said echoed the thoughts of Ramage and Dawes, but those thoughts could be expressed without the childish shouting and "passion" (seemingly both an excuse for anything relating to supporting a team and a reason for losing every match) we got directly at the end of the game (a game, by the way, in which two minutes earlier they were praising the team a little bit for getting the goal).  The main shouty bit from Dawes came when they put the third in, which only came about because we were pushing for an equaliser and thus it made no difference.

The fact that they now make a joke out of the fact that Owen has to play devil's advocate is evidence enough that they cannot form balanced opinions themselves and have a tendancy to work off emotion and gut than what they are actually seeing. Again, this might be how I see a game and you and every other fan.  We are emotional and irrational about football and don't think about things properly in the heat of the moment, but they should be 'better' than that.  When I can't see the game for myself, I want pictures to be painted with words so that I can make my own mind up as far as possible.  They provide so much of their own opinion that sometimes its hard to actually know what is happening in the game.

Perhaps criticising them today may not be the best time, because we had a bit of a stinker and many will agree with their sentiment.  They might even be right.  As I say, its more about the approach than the message. This is a general, long standing view of mine Radio Derby.  Perhaps I'm on my own, but today even though we were poor, they managed to wind me up more than normal... perhaps its because we were poor!? Ranting about them takes my mind off the result.

I guess the obvious answer is not to listen!! ?  Sorry.

No need to apologise and I think it is the fact that they wound  you up because we were poor they're telling you things you don't want to hear perhaps in an emotional way when your emotional enough as it is.

we have so much sanitised news nowadays I like a bit of emotion especially from the BBC ?

5 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Andre Wisdom says the game was lost after 20 minutes, says the rest of the squad felt that as well. Think that says everything about the mentality of the group. Same old, same old..

My god we have not got a cat in hells chance with players thinking that way 

58 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Occasionally at corners maybe, but really it's better to have the keeper where he belongs. Who knows how much longer the ref would have played - Man City played and scored in 9 minutes of 5 minutes of time added on.

I'm not disagreeing with you just questioning if it really was "one of the worst managerial decisions made" 

How can you lose a game in the first 20 minutes, a goal down. Thought it would have the opposite affect and you'd be calm knowing there's still 70 minutes on the clock to play and facing the away fans in the second half.

That's probably just me like

Just now, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Andre Wisdom says the game was lost after 20 minutes, says the rest of the squad felt that as well. Think that says everything about the mentality of the group. Same old, same old..

Wow.

Dave Mackay would be spinning in his grave. Never surrender - only takes a second to score a goal etc.

Also worrying in that it implies nothing Rowett could do at half time would have a material positive impact. That's got to be unacceptable to the manager surely?

32 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

If this is true I wish they'd have come over and told me and I could have f****** off back to the pub!

8 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Wow.

Dave Mackay would be spinning in his grave. Never surrender - only takes a second to score a goal etc.

Also worrying in that it implies nothing Rowett could do at half time would have a material positive impact. That's got to be unacceptable to the manager surely?

Dave Mackay  - would be dragging every f**ker with a derby shirt out that tunnel for the second half - and put himself about - for 45 minutes - no game is lost at half time  - 2 nil down

We haven't mettle and steel in our team - leadership - and mentors........a unfortunate trait for the modern game

If i was a young player under Mackay - i would run my f****** butt off - just to know he wasn't going to kick my head in after the game

Candy Asses  - as the americans would say!!!

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

The Good

On the counter Huddlestone's passing was ridiculous. Vydra and Weimann drove forward ok. Olsson too. Final ball was always done with eyes closed though

The Bad

We surrendered the whole pitch to defend our box. And we didn't defend it well. Never got go grips with Sheff United's system. They too were wasteful with more regular promising positions. At one point a simple pull back of 10 yards would have lead to a tap in. He chose to cross to the back post. Why? No idea. But they got in behind us constantly. Fair enough when we're chasing the game but it happened when we set up camp on our goal and refused any challenge unless it had Last Ditch!! written all over it. 

The Ugly

Russell's og. If you kick the ball really hard the way you're facing and you're facing the goal from 15 yards then there's no real surprise if it end in a goal is there? 

Not a terrible performance but one of the least composed efforts you'll see. Panic at every opportunity. Often panic for no reason. 

I'm a big JR fan; love the guy for his sweated blood. BUT has to be said...school-boy error - you never kick towards the way you are defending IN YOUR OWN BOX, sir. 

Just now, irobinson said:

Dave Mackay  - would be dragging every f**ker with a derby shirt out that tunnel for the second half - and put himself about - for 45 minutes - no game is lost at half time  - 2 nil down

We haven't mettle and steel in our team - leadership - and mentors........a unfortunate trait for the modern game

If i was a young player under Mackay - i would run my f****** butt off - just to know he wasn't going to kick my head in after the game

Candy Asses  - as the americans would say!!!

Amen brother :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

If that's one of the worst managerial decisions you've ever seen, you need to watch more football.

Whilst it hardly ever works (one exception being Poom against us I believe) it's not uncommon to send the keeper up for one last ditch attempt to salvage a point. It was the 98th minute after all and the game was almost certainly lost by then unless, by some fluke, Carson's presence had contributed towards an equaliser. 

Watched plenty over the past 15 years chap, cheers for the reccomendation though. 

It hardly ever works when it's a direct ball into the box, this wasn't. This was another hopeless punt to the left hand edge of the 18, away from Carson and most of our players.  

Wouldn't have had an issue if it was a corner or free kick from a reasonable area. It wasn't, it was on our half way line almost. Stand by what I said, awful decision by the manager. 

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I'm a big JR fan; love the guy for his sweated blood. BUT has to be said...school-boy error - you never kick towards the way you are defending IN YOUR OWN BOX, sir. 

Most of the time, yeah, but in this case, I'm not sure what else Russell should have done. I'm assuming he was trying to sweep it out for a throw in, or at worst put it behind for a corner, and just mis judged it. With the way he was running, chasing their guy into the box, his only other options were to take a touch and turn, or to do something crazy like backheel it out of the box.  And either of those options are much more dangerous than what he attempted.  If he takes a touch, not knowing exactly what's going on behind him, he risks giving the ball away in a suicidal position.  I think he at least tried to do the right thing, but just made a mess of it.

2 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Watched plenty over the past 15 years chap, cheers for the reccomendation though. 

It hardly ever works when it's a direct ball into the box, this wasn't. This was another hopeless punt to the left hand edge of the 18, away from Carson and most of our players.  

Wouldn't have had an issue if it was a corner or free kick from a reasonable area. It wasn't, it was on our half way line almost. Stand by what I said, awful decision by the manager. 

Fair do's and you're probably right. Just not sure it would rate as of the worst managerial decisions. I guess he saw it as do or die and didn't think we had enough time to win a corner or free kick. 

37 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm not disagreeing with you just questioning if it really was "one of the worst managerial decisions made" 

I think maybe (?) there's a bit of exaggeration, but I'm not a fan of keepers going up either.

1 hour ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

If this is true, that is the most worrying admission of the whole afternoon : unbelievable.

Same old, same old ? - four of the team are newcomers, for G**'s sake.

GR has a fight on his hands to survive now.

2 hours ago, JG400 said:

In the interview iirc he stated that both in last season and in this season they have seen that the current team were not capable of sustaining the levels of intensity and work rate that they require .

My analysis of that is therefore they are never going to be , the attempt to change the problems has failed (14 games?) , if we can't buy and sell the players we want due to the current transfer market , I would immeadiately drop Johnson (Harsh but we need to break the mold ) Weimenn (not consistent enough) , Russell (Poor Form) , from the Squad and  get some balls and replace with under 23,s in the first team , I accept we are not going to go up this season but we need to start to break up this team now and prepare for the 2019/20 season (I think it will take that long to clear out this team ) as the season of serious challenge for promotion

Excellent analysis ?

55 minutes ago, Papahet said:

How can you lose a game in the first 20 minutes, a goal down. Thought it would have the opposite affect and you'd be calm knowing there's still 70 minutes on the clock to play and facing the away fans in the second half.

That's probably just me like

" Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win." - Gary Lineker

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Most of the time, yeah, but in this case, I'm not sure what else Russell should have done. I'm assuming he was trying to sweep it out for a throw in, or at worst put it behind for a corner, and just mis judged it. With the way he was running, chasing their guy into the box, his only other options were to take a touch and turn, or to do something crazy like backheel it out of the box.  And either of those options are much more dangerous than what he attempted.  If he takes a touch, not knowing exactly what's going on behind him, he risks giving the ball away in a suicidal position.  I think he at least tried to do the right thing, but just made a mess of it.

He is a professional footballer being paid £35k a week, not an eight year old kid !

he is poor and getting worse with each game ! 

Hey guys what disserpointed no fight or passion no one saying right lads we just conceaded a goal lets not let them in again. Lets punish them when they give the ball away by going score that goal get us back in this. We are letting nearly 3k derby fans down lets give them something get behind us with.

But on personal note some derby fans need to look at them selfs. Throwing objets on the pitch and glass came flying the from the down pitch norrowing missing me.

And threating to attack our own fans for these are no derby fans i want i want behaving like little brats.

Archived