Sheffield United v Derby County

Mafiabob

5 hours ago, angieram said:

I stayed around a little longer than usual after the game yesterday (I was a bit shaken by the bloke yelling abuse at me so took a minute to chill).

What I saw was the whole of the Sheffield United team walking round the perimeter together clapping their fans. It was as if they'd just won a really important game. I think other clubs still see us as a big scalp. (Little do they know! :lol:) I also see this as a reflection of what it takes to win matches at this level - team spirit and togetherness.

That's  what I saw on the pitch from Sheffield throughout the game - players willing to run and cover for each other, create space, offer a pass and hassle the opposition. I didn’t see any of that from our team yesterday - yes from individuals and at certain times but not collectively for 97 minutes.

I think this might be Rowett's biggest challenge - how to get that passion and togetherness back into the team. 

Very interesting piece on 5live this morning with Michael Vaughan and John Hartson about 'the dressing room'. Included football, cricket and rugby. How teammates don't always, quite often in fact, are teammates not best friends but are driven by a bond as a team. Laurie Sanchez talking about the Wimbledon crazy gang. Famous one was Cole and Sherrigham at Old Trafford. Not making any judgement and of course it's incredibly early in the season but I did begin to think what ours is really like. Guess I'll never know, but as has been mentioned, we've brought players in who have performed elsewhere but not at Derby consistently. Left me pondering, I quite enjoy a ponder sometimes. I'd recommend you check it out Rams :thumbsup:

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SKRam said:

Very interesting piece on 5live this morning with Michael Vaughan and John Hartson about 'the dressing room'. Included football, cricket and rugby. How teammates don't always, quite often in fact, are teammates not best friends but are driven by a bond as a team. Laurie Sanchez talking about the Wimbledon crazy gang. Famous one was Cole and Sherrigham at Old Trafford. Not making any judgement and of course it's incredibly early in the season but I did begin to think what ours is really like. Guess I'll never know, but as has been mentioned, we've brought players in who have performed elsewhere but not at Derby consistently. Left me pondering, I quite enjoy a ponder sometimes. I'd recommend you check it out Rams :thumbsup:

You make a really interesting point here.  In numerous other topics on this site - fans talk about lack of passion and so on.  But maybe it's not passion so much as the players just don't care about each other as much as they should.  Their "team goals" are not more important to them than their "own goals" (no pun intended).  Frankly I'd be amazed and shocked if the team ethos and the relationships in the dressing room were rubbish - but they need to be the absolute best they can be - and that's not easy to achieve (as we all no doubt recognise from our day jobs).

The definition of stupidity is doind the same things over and over and expecting a different result.

There have been several criticisms of negative posts about yesterday's performance (I use that word with caution), with statements like "it's one bad day at the office"). Sadly it isn't just one bad day at the office, this is the second terrible, not merely bad day this season, which has barely got going. How many did we have last season? Far too many, and nothing has changed. So blandly accepting troach like yesterday's pathetic showing while still expecting to challenge for promotion could also be a way of defining stupidity.

As has already been said, the game, and probably the result, was defined in the first 5 minutes with the Carson kick. Sheffield United are set up to make things difficult and to be able to defend and stifle their way to a scrappy win, so that is where the "game over" mentality may have come from.

What is disappointing is our inability to string passes together - we might manage 2, 3 or 4, but when it comes to creating chances, all too often the ball goes to the opposition or is over hit and goes bobbbling off out of play. And when chances do come we want to walk the ball home instead of pulling the trigger, as happened with Vydra's superb opportunity.

Russell's goal was as a result of Russell's wayward ball control that usually sees him trip over the ball or kick it too far ahead when running down the wing and about to break free. Putting the ball out for a corner may have been his only option, and may be a genuine one, but you need ball control to do it, and maybe using the correct foot would be good as well.

Fact is we had 15 shots, but hardly ever looked dangerous, with only 2 on target. The Blades created virtually nothing, and we should have put them to the sword easily.

But listen - 15 shots, only 2 on target, one of which being a "play catch" to their keeper: I am an HGV driver, and if Ibhave 15 deliveries to make but only get 2 of them to the right address, I would lose my job. Similarly if I went about my job in the same lethargic "oh it's only a bad day at the office" way I would also be in trouble. Not so our players who still keep getting picked almost regardless. They get paid, or have thrown at them more money in a week than I get in a year, working 60 hour weeks. Perhaps we ought to start writing in minimum performance requirements into player contracts.

Let's hope GR has an answer to all of this so we can start making some progress.

I think its now that we really have to get behind the team, back them give them confidence, dont get on their backs if they make a mistake and then we will be rewarded.  I do worry when teams press us and think we need a stronger midfield but I'm still a Ram.

lets support them positive comments . COYR :D 

6 hours ago, angieram said:

Oh just one of our fans yelling at me because I was clapping our players at the end. Nothing much but there's so much venom with some of them and I don't like being sworn and gesticulated at by our own fans. Other women were complaining of similar in the ladies' loo after the game. 

It can be quite intimidating at times at away matches - it's always the games with the larger 'it's a great day out' sort of following. That is until they are drunk and the team isn't performing well. :unsure:

Maybe I should give some of those games a miss and concentrate on the Tuesday nights at Ipswich! 

Don't get me wrong, I love those big days out (Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, etc) because when it's going well, the atmosphere can be brilliant. Also, I know you don't look at this perspective as much, but I love it when everyone is in the pubs/concourse having a few beers and a good time, which you get a lot more at those types of games.

However, one of the best away atmospheres I've been part of in the last couple of years was Grimsby in the abandoned game. You just knew that everyone there was a devoted fan who was sad enough to travel up to a bit of a ****hole (sorry @David) to watch our reserves play a League Two side in a Mickey Mouse cup. We never stopped singing and it was a good laugh at the end, and I think the players, especially the likes of Keogh (see my drunken ramble), appreciated the proper support. Those kind of games are special and make me feel good about being a Derby fan.

If I could afford it, I would love to go to every away game, but only having a part-time job means I aim for around 10-15 trips a season, meaning I have to give some of those Tuesday night games a miss. Nothing frustrates me more than thinking about everyone travelling to watch Derby whilst I'm sat bored at home/school. I'd also like to get to some U23 games at home but lack of travel options makes this difficult.

IMO the problems begin with the 3 in the 4-2-3-1 formation. Those three for all intent and purpose are attack minded midfielders. It's basically a rebadged      4-5-1.

We have 3 centre forewards in those positions!. It just leaves the defensive pair at the mercy of a "genuine" opposition midfield.

My take on it is that the three players that play there should be able to play the conventional respective midfield positions in a 4-4-2. Could you imagine any of Vydra, Russell or Weiman doing that?

There needs to be a modicum of midfielderiness (experience of the marking, tracking, blocking, tackling with purpose)  in amongst the skill sets of those players. I'd say Johnson on the left if that would add a bit of that. As would Bryson and Butterfield if he remembered how to play again.

4 CF'/FWD's on a pitch away from home is asking for it. 

Ready-Aim-FIRE!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Waffle said:

It's a sad day and age when a players entry is blocked in to the first team by a potential crucifixion.

Erm. We'll fortunately we aren't the Romans so no crucifixion will take place but my assessment still stands he isn't good enough. Bennett and the other chap are in between.  Too good for the under 23's but not good enough for a promotion campaign in the Championship. 

2 hours ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

IMO the problems begin with the 3 in the 4-2-3-1 formation. Those three for all intent and purpose are attack minded midfielders. It's basically a rebadged      4-5-1.

We have 3 centre forewards in those positions!. It just leaves the defensive pair at the mercy of a "genuine" opposition midfield.

My take on it is that the three players that play there should be able to play the conventional respective midfield positions in a 4-4-2. Could you imagine any of Vydra, Russell or Weiman doing that?

There needs to be a modicum of midfielderiness (experience of the marking, tracking, blocking, tackling with purpose)  in amongst the skill sets of those players. I'd say Johnson on the left if that would add a bit of that. As would Bryson and Butterfield if he remembered how to play again.

4 CF'/FWD's on a pitch away from home is asking for it. 

Ready-Aim-FIRE!!!!!

Ironram. Spot on that's exactly were the problem lies Asking strikers to be midfielder is never going to succeed Its got to be poor management to expect it work OK we got away with it at Bolton but anyone who went will tell you they were a shocking side 

Just watched the highlights on RamsTV expecting to see very little of Derby going forward ....  I know you won't get the full picture in 10 mins but apart from the 2 awful goals we conceded we seemed to have the better chances overall.  Maybe not quite time to get the razor blades out.........

12 hours ago, angieram said:

I stayed around a little longer than usual after the game yesterday (I was a bit shaken by the bloke yelling abuse at me so took a minute to chill).

What I saw was the whole of the Sheffield United team walking round the perimeter together clapping their fans. It was as if they'd just won a really important game. I think other clubs still see us as a big scalp. (Little do they know! :lol:) I also see this as a reflection of what it takes to win matches at this level - team spirit and togetherness.

That's  what I saw on the pitch from Sheffield throughout the game - players willing to run and cover for each other, create space, offer a pass and hassle the opposition. I didn’t see any of that from our team yesterday - yes from individuals and at certain times but not collectively for 97 minutes.

I think this might be Rowett's biggest challenge - how to get that passion and togetherness back into the team. 

angieram you stayed around a little longer because you love your club. Sheffield United have that love, they have had to go looking for it, found their man to run and manage the club because of the understanding he has, because he loves his club, he's found and utilised players that are working for one another that also will enjoy after a successful season especially winning at home in front of their fans that love for the club, to carry on in an environment that they will all understand.

We have found GR, we would like him to run and manage the club because of the understanding he has, because we think he loves the club, but already our fans are showing their lack of love, when our team make a couple of mistakes very early into the season. 

Love has to be worked on by all, has to be searched for, has to be found, has to be understood, compromises have to be met, patience, desire, trying to improve, yes there has to be passion, yes there has to be togetherness. But you only have to read some of the stuff on here, hear the bloke that was unkind to you, hear the RD commentary team and hear some of the fans comments at the Silk Mill Museum Forum, the Monday moan ins etc. And then think have we done all this before?, and what did we find, yes still stuck in the Championship and still searching for something, therefore I for one will stay around a little longer and will refuse to attack the club I love.

I'll keep saying it to anybody reading this, support your club, love your club, stop wasting your time and the club's time by dragging it down. Get behind them, and not against them, maybe none of us know what we are looking for, but I reckon it will come if we all try to enjoy and love what we have.

Up The Rams.

3 hours ago, Gritters said:

Erm. We'll fortunately we aren't the Romans so no crucifixion will take place but my assessment still stands he isn't good enough. Bennett and the other chap are in between.  Too good for the under 23's but not good enough for a promotion campaign in the Championship. 

I love you

4 hours ago, Gritters said:

I wasn't that impressed when I watched on Friday. 

I thought he held back a bit while George was on the pitch - let George make the plays. But watch the last 20 minutes after George went off and it was Elsnik driving that team forward. 

Archived