Sheffield United v Derby County

Mafiabob

1 hour ago, AshfieldRam said:

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a saint and like everyone have a moan from time to time. But what I really don't get is this cockiness of some of our fans that Derby have the right to win every game... We don't! people need to realise, we don't have a god given right that all we need to do is turn up and we'll win. Only when the expectation is lowered will the atmosphere in the stands and around the club will improve.

Don't really buy this mate.. Is it 'cockiness'? Are they expecting to win every game? Or do they just want to see something resembling a performance? I really don't buy into this entitlement crap, I don't know any Derby fans who think that we should be slugging it out in the Champions League year after year. I do see people who go getting frustrated and angry but not because we have lost but because we have whimpered out again. 

I mentioned to little Angry on Saturday how people we have seen week after week at away games, normal supportive fans, getting frustrated. None of us mind losing, as long as we have fought and lost. 

I remember walking out of Middlesboro two season ago with a lad we constantly see week after week at away games. We lost as we normally do there but at least we did not lay down and have our tummy tickled.. He and I had no problem losing to a better team on the day. Funnily I saw him Saturday in Sheffield and he was pee'd big time. It's just frustration, not entitlement. Entitlement seems to be the happy clapper retort of choice to frustrated fans.. Wrong IMO.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Yes you are right. I yet again was fooled by listening to Radio Derby. They were absolutely slaughtering our performance and I yet again was taken in. I have now watched it through on RamsTV and guess what.......A freak game with freak mistakes. As you say Saul the meltdown on here was/is ridiculous and I apologise for my little rant after the game that added to it.

(Note to self AGAIN.............Don't listen to Radio Derby)!

Good on you! :thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Yes you are right. I yet again was fooled by listening to Radio Derby. They were absolutely slaughtering our performance and I yet again was taken in. I have now watched it through on RamsTV and guess what.......A freak game with freak mistakes. As you say Saul the meltdown on here was/is ridiculous and I apologise for my little rant after the game that added to it.

(Note to self AGAIN.............Don't listen to Radio Derby)!

Just watched the highlights ion Sky Sports - Woeful error by Carson for the first and massively unfortunate from Russell for the second (great finish though) - The third was just a nonsense goal which happens sometimes if you throw your keeper forward (never understood the point of that to be fair)

Freak goals - And we seemed to create enough half chances to suggest we weren't outplayed

HOWEVER all of the match reports I've read said we were dreadful and Rowett's reaction seems to be that he was unhappy with the performance - Even with freak occurrences we should be better than losing away at Sheff Utd - It doesn't look like we were unlucky about any of our attacking play, just not good enough - If we'd had some clear cut chances which didn't go in I'd be less worried but we had a couple of half chances at best

Early days BUT much needed improvements

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Don't really buy this mate.. Is it 'cockiness'? Are they expecting to win every game? Or do they just want to see something resembling a performance? I really don't buy into this entitlement crap, I don't know any Derby fans who think that we should be slugging it out in the Champions League year after year. I do see people who go getting frustrated and angry but not because we have lost but because we have whimpered out again. 

I mentioned to little Angry on Saturday how people we have seen week after week at away games, normal supportive fans, getting frustrated. None of us mind losing, as long as we have fought and lost. 

I remember walking out of Middlesboro two season ago with a lad we constantly see week after week at away games. We lost as we normally do there but at least we did not lay down and have our tummy tickled.. He and I had no problem losing to a better team on the day. Funnily I saw him Saturday in Sheffield and he was pee'd big time. It's just frustration, not entitlement. Entitlement seems to be the happy clapper retort of choice to frustrated fans.. Wrong IMO.

Maybe cockiness was the wrong word to say but do you understand where i'm coming from?

if i go to a game and the players put in effort and loose i'd be disappointed but proud that the players have put in a bit of a fight. At the moment, we seem to be going down with a whimper as you say. 

Similar in the wolves game, although i did think Wolves we're very impressive. There didn't seem that fight and determination i'd want from my team 

28 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Just watched the highlights ion Sky Sports - Woeful error by Carson for the first and massively unfortunate from Russell for the second (great finish though) - The third was just a nonsense goal which happens sometimes if you throw your keeper forward (never understood the point of that to be fair)

Freak goals - And we seemed to create enough half chances to suggest we weren't outplayed

HOWEVER all of the match reports I've read said we were dreadful and Rowett's reaction seems to be that he was unhappy with the performance - Even with freak occurrences we should be better than losing away at Sheff Utd - It doesn't look like we were unlucky about any of our attacking play, just not good enough - If we'd had some clear cut chances which didn't go in I'd be less worried but we had a couple of half chances at best

Yes, understand what you are saying but this WAS a freak game. Not sure if you were there or if you have had a chance to watch the whole match but although not to be praised we also shouldn't have been slaughtered by Ramage & Dawes.

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Yes, understand what you are saying but this WAS a freak game. Not sure if you were there or if you have had a chance to watch the whole match but although not to be praised we also shouldn't have been slaughtered by Ramage & Dawes.

I think it's to do with expectation setting - If this was 6 years ago under Nigel we'd have said "oh well, this happens" - As it is a game where we're uninspiring in attack is the problem - Yes, there are freak games but I'd be reassured if we battered them and lost - It sounds like we were fairly average and lost to freak goals - Like if it wasn't for those freak goals it should have been 0-0 - That's still not a good enough result if we want to push for promotion

34 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Why?

How good are they?

How good are we?

Season's six games old.

20 minutes ago, AshfieldRam said:

Maybe cockiness was the wrong word to say but do you understand where i'm coming from?

if i go to a game and the players put in effort and loose i'd be disappointed but proud that the players have put in a bit of a fight. At the moment, we seem to be going down with a whimper as you say. 

Similar in the wolves game, although i did think Wolves we're very impressive. There didn't seem that fight and determination i'd want from my team 

I think that is all most of us ask.. I have really enjoyed some defeats (if that does not sound really stupid)..

Wolves as you say were impressive and their formation killed us with the high wing backs.

I feel we have gone back to the Clough days.. Myself and little Angry getting in the car, more out of a sense of duty than anything else. Travelling xxx miles knowing that there is a 1 in 10 chance of enjoying the day. Under Mac1, that all went and win, lose or draw teams knew that they had played The Rams.. A bit of passion is not much to ask for is it? 

There are no best or worse supporters in my book. Staying at home does not make you any less of a fan. So called wrist slashers or happy clappers all have a point. We are no different from any other clubs fan bases. The entitlement word really grinds my gears.. As I said I have yet to see a fan who believes that we are entitled to anything. Arsenal? Maybe... DCFC nah.

Just now, cannable said:

Why?

Expectations set by the manager that we should be pushing for the top 2

1 minute ago, cannable said:

How good are they?

Newly promoted side - Look handy but not stunningly impressive - Hadn't scored more than 1 goal in a league game until now - Probably a mid-table team looking at them currently?

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

How good are we?

Who knows - But the expectations have been laid down by the manager - And a side aiming to be top 2 shouldn't be as unimpressive against a (probably) mid-table, newly promoted side

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

Season's six games old.

Hence saying it's early days - But there are much needed improvements

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

I think it's to do with expectation setting - If this was 6 years ago under Nigel we'd have said "oh well, this happens" - As it is a game where we're uninspiring in attack is the problem - Yes, there are freak games but I'd be reassured if we battered them and lost - It sounds like we were fairly average and lost to freak goals - Like if it wasn't for those freak goals it should have been 0-0 - That's still not a good enough result if we want to push for promotion

I can see the makings of some slick forward play. Didn't work often enough but a few slick moves were there. If we can improve on that we will still can be a force this season.

14 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

@cheron85 you should watch the full matchday live replay to judge our performance rather than relying on media reports.

I can't bring myself to pay for it - Season ticket plus travel up from London costs me enough - After the last few years my motivation to pay the club even more money has waned quite a bit :)

13 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I can see the makings of some slick forward play. Didn't work often enough but a few slick moves were there. If we can improve on that we will still can be a force this season.

I think there have been some promising signs in all of the Rowett games - I think this squad has the potential to be a top 2 side in this league - I even think most of our players are actually GOOD (I appreciate this is not a very popular opinion round here)

However I maintain that an unimpressive performance away at a newly promoted side for me is disappointing - and we need to see a marked improvement from here - I don't think that's a massively controversial statement?

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Great post Angry we see to often at away games now we really are a team of wimps Most fans don't expect a win every week just 90mins endeavor is enough to satisfy most especially away from home Those on here saying they were just freak goals are correct but our efforts to get back in the match were pathetic 

5 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

I have to agree with this. I was at that Boro game. 0-0 with about 15 minutes left and Clement went for the win and we got caught on the break. Fortune doesn't always favour the brave but we lost with dignity after a good performance and there wasn't any of the unpleasantness seen at Sheffield.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29 August 2017 at 14:58, Saul Pimpson said:

@cheron85 you should watch the full matchday live replay to judge our performance rather than relying on media reports.

On 29 August 2017 at 15:17, cheron85 said:

I can't bring myself to pay for it  

Its worth it. I've paid £5 and can now watch every game.

i just ploughed through the full 90+ minutes of this match and it has changed my perception from watching highlights only.

they scrapped and pressed and forced one daft error. We were ok without creating a great deal but then began to sit back too much. Eventully their pressing and possession in our half forced a second equally stupid mistake.

The first 25 mins of the second half was absolutely dire. Constant stoppages and a lot of hoofball...........mainly from them.

Vydra going over in their box looks a pen every time i've seen it. Maybe i'm missing something.

Lawrence improved us. We get one goal back and press for the equaliser without managing to force a save. 

As we pressed they had two good chances on the break both well saved by carson.

the third was a stupid meaningless goal to give away right at the end

The result flatters them greatly, but credit to billy sharp for making us look stupid.

Archived