Sheffield United v Derby County

Mafiabob

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It was his third game for Derby. Two of which came late on as a sub. He's human. He has to learn our system, and to play with his team mates. How on earth can you pin any of this blame on him, rather than our established squad? It's bizarre. He didn't pay his fee, so the money factor is irrelevant. 

I take it back about the sarcasm. Seems you were right all along. My bad :)

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest when the teams got announced I feared the worst. I know people say about not changing a winning side but I felt we needed to be a bit more defensive and difficult to break down. Sheff U however much we don't like to say it have their tails up at the minute, it was possibly the worst time we could have played them. Although they aren't our most exciting players, I think games like today there is a role for the likes of Anya and Bryson to come in. Might not have worked and you'd get pelters if it didn't work (hindsight is a wonderful thing), but just felt we underestimated the game.

Huddlestone.. lazy, edge of the game type of player.. the last type of player Derby needed.. it's so obvious it's cm that's the problem.. high energy, hard tacklers that get the ball forward quickly have been desperately needed for a long time now.. no quality ball for the forwards.. defence left exposed. How many more seasons do we have to put up with cm players that just don't fancy the battle ? 

20 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

In place of who? Johnson was better then Hudds today by a mile. So Johnson and Bryson in midfield? Same two that got dragged off after 30 mins last season playing together! 

Bad day at the office now let's move on. Hudds and Johnson have been really good the last couple of games in the 2 in front of the defence.

weve been shocking playing 433 also. All a bit head scratchy really as to why we turn up one game and not the next. Been like that for three years and no matter what players are on the pitch, what system we play and what manager we have its been no different.

Win hee haw playing both of them u need energy and one thing Bryso has in Abundance is that 

would not surprise me to see him leave before transfer window closes 

he's too good a player to sit on the bench and watch mediocrity in front of him 

46 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

Haha, they made me laugh actually - I felt exactly the same as them - they're alright - shows they care. Ed can start with the negativity a bit soon sometimes but rather have  them two and Owen with a bit of emotion than  some boring commentators.  

It would be fine if they had any emotion other than misery and negativity.  I'm not expecting them to sugar coat anything or tell us that its brilliant when it isn't, but as 'professional correspondents' they should at least be able to pass their views of the game on without reverting to hysteria or at least do it without bellowing over each other down the microphone.  Its not necessarily what they say, its the way they go about it. Fans are allowed to do that, and do so - but they aren't fans, at least while they are commentating - and as somebody mentioned earlier, when they are the only conduit through which most people who don't go away get any information about the game, then I think they have a responsibility to be at least measured and at least a little bit objective in their approach.  

We were obviously poor again today.  GR wasn't happy and said so.  TBF a lot of what GR said echoed the thoughts of Ramage and Dawes, but those thoughts could be expressed without the childish shouting and "passion" (seemingly both an excuse for anything relating to supporting a team and a reason for losing every match) we got directly at the end of the game (a game, by the way, in which two minutes earlier they were praising the team a little bit for getting the goal).  The main shouty bit from Dawes came when they put the third in, which only came about because we were pushing for an equaliser and thus it made no difference.

The fact that they now make a joke out of the fact that Owen has to play devil's advocate is evidence enough that they cannot form balanced opinions themselves and have a tendancy to work off emotion and gut than what they are actually seeing. Again, this might be how I see a game and you and every other fan.  We are emotional and irrational about football and don't think about things properly in the heat of the moment, but they should be 'better' than that.  When I can't see the game for myself, I want pictures to be painted with words so that I can make my own mind up as far as possible.  They provide so much of their own opinion that sometimes its hard to actually know what is happening in the game.

Perhaps criticising them today may not be the best time, because we had a bit of a stinker and many will agree with their sentiment.  They might even be right.  As I say, its more about the approach than the message. This is a general, long standing view of mine Radio Derby.  Perhaps I'm on my own, but today even though we were poor, they managed to wind me up more than normal... perhaps its because we were poor!? Ranting about them takes my mind off the result.

I guess the obvious answer is not to listen!! ?  Sorry.

PistoldPete2

Personally I would have taken vydra off as he played midweek ... Martin and nugent can play together IMO. But if youre going to concede three goals not much can be done... A Mac team might have gone for it as sheff u are no world beaters by any means. Maybe Anya for Olson altho Anya seems to be on the naughty step for some reason. 

8 minutes ago, Popular side said:

.. it's so obvious it's cm that's the problem.. high energy, hard tacklers that get the ball forward quickly have been desperately needed for a long time now.. no quality ball for the forwards.. defence left exposed. How many more seasons do we have to put up with cm players that just don't fancy the battle ? 

Spot-on.  :thumbsup:

To be honest i want my local radio station commentators to say it how it is, if its piss poor then lets not muck about and gloss over it and pretend all is well, i want passion, national media can do the airy fairy stuff but from local media i want to hear it how it is

theyre only regurgitating whats going through my head.

not a problem with them at all 

but thats just my preference 

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

To the piss-head Derby fan giving me a load of abuse for clapping the Derby players at the end who were brave enough to come over to us

f*** OFF AND DON'T COME BACK! 

I feel better now. :)

Perhaps you should wish him to come back as he'll be in the middle of the away fans at Sheffield United? 

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Personally I would have taken vydra off as he played midweek ... Martin and nugent can play together IMO. But if youre going to concede three goals not much can be done... A Mac team might have gone for it as sheff u are no world beaters by any means. Maybe Anya for Olson altho Anya seems to be on the naughty step for some reason. 

Already said it, but I do think Anya possibly could have a role to play especially in games like today when you need to be a bit more rigid. I'd have gone for Anya over Weimann personally. 

Saying all this though Anya since being at Derby hasn't exactly done enough for anyone to have that much faith in him. One or two others in that boat

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

To the piss-head Derby fan giving me a load of abuse for clapping the Derby players at the end who were brave enough to come over to us

f*** OFF AND DON'T COME BACK! 

I feel better now. :)

The same type who boo and then just say 'I pay for my ticket and can do what I want' and don't quite see the double standards.

So frustrating to look at this and still think we rarely looked like scoring. That group of forwards on display for us could probably fetch easily £20m + in today's market, yet we always seem to struggle to take our chances. They really need to get their act together.

a21a987105b085dfeba08e7437b8dd11.png

Really poor today, I just don't see what Gary is trying to achieve with how he sets the team up.

He then goes on Radio Derby, and lambasts the way the team performed, even though he'd selected it and prepared it.

I just don't see what he offers that McClaren didn't, except Steve had an identifiable way of playing, which I've not seen from a Rowett team so far.

He talks well, and performs at Q&A's admirably, but I've yet to see that he's got a plan that advances us on the pitch.

Above average squad, below average manager is how I'd sum us up right now.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Really poor today, I just don't see what Gary is trying to achieve with how he sets the team up.

He then goes on Radio Derby, and lambasts the way the team performed, even though he'd selected it and prepared it.

I just don't see what he offers that McClaren didn't, except Steve had an identifiable way of playing, which I've not seen from a Rowett team so far.

He talks well, and performs at Q&A's admirably, but I've yet to see that he's got a plan that advances us on the pitch.

Above average squad, below average manager is how I'd sum us up right now.

I think a huge problem we have is that all 4 of the attacking players are the type who'd like to be receiving the killer pass to get into a dangerous position. None of them seem like the type of attacking player who can provide that killer ball. I really think we need a creative player to join that front 4 .... obviously Jota would be perfect; it isn't likely to happen, but we really need someone similar to him.

47 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It was his third game for Derby. Two of which came late on as a sub. He's human. He has to learn our system, and to play with his team mates. How on earth can you pin any of this blame on him, rather than our established squad? It's bizarre. He didn't pay his fee, so the money factor is irrelevant. 

Who was pinning blame on him? Quote me where I pin the blame on him. I think you've assumed that. Rather, it was a veiled comment about our transfer policy...£5m on a player who looks ok. Why can't we find young, hungry players who don't cost £5m? 

I suspect it's time we tried some home grown talent...

Just now, Ellafella said:

Who was pinning blame on him? Quote me where I pin the blame on him. I think you've assumed that. Rather, it was a veiled comment about our transfer policy...£5m on a player who looks ok. Why can't we find young, hungry players who don't cost £5m? 

I suspect it's time we tried some home grown talent...

Well, the fact you pulled it up on Lawrence being ''ok'' whereas many of our players today were below that standard. It's implied. Probably because that's what everyone else is trying to do?

Archived