Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

What game were you all watching derby played well and very unlucky not have won last night and to the person slating jonney russle he did a lot of defance work

That you choose to ingore and he caused them all sorts of probleams so get off his back.

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Am I the only that thought Hudds wasn't great? Seemed that we passed it to him and he punted it forward. Bar the one pass to Russell for our goal there was a lot of smashes up the park straight through to there keeper

Agreed. Thought he was OK at best last night but he did produce the one genuine moment of quality in an otherwise drab game.

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

What game were you all watching derby played well and very unlucky not have won last night and to the person slating jonney russle he did a lot of defance work

That you choose to ingore and he caused them all sorts of probleams so get off his back.

Your optimism, as always, is admirable and your free to your opinion. Personally I thought we were poor and would have been stuffed by better opposition.

I'm guessing its just the loud minority spouting off?

We got 7 wins and 5 draws away from home last season. Let that sink in. That's why we werent in the playoffs. 

We scored 21 away goals. 

If you don't think last night was an improvement in most of the away performances last season, then I give up.

It reminded me of Leeds away last year. Pressure, crosses, corners, an by the time they tired we were 2-0 down and out the game.

10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Carson - 7 - Played ok and pulled of a very good save time deny cattermole

Wisdom - 4 - Defended ok but absolutely garbage on the ball with the play breaking down way too much with him. Looks like a CB shoved out there. 

Keogh - 7 - Defended well and was the only defender who made anything like an attempt to play football.

Davies - 6 - Solid for the most part apart from the c*** up with Huddlestone.  

Forsyth - 3 -looked very rusty both defending and going forward.  Was pulling my hair out with him launching the ball forwards into the box from the halfway line.

Huddlestone - 7 - Did ok for the most part but faded badly. Would have been a 6 but produced the one genuine moment of quality in a poor poor game.

Johnson - 5 - was pretty poor for most of the game but scored. So a pretty typical Johnson performance. 

Butterfield - 5 - Not great but I think a lot better midfielders would have struggled to influence the gap with how we were set up tactically. Looked better when we started to play football after 70 minutes.

Russell - 6 - Some good and quite a bit bad but did well to set up the goal.

Martin - 6 - Some intelligent touches when he was actually given the ball to feet or chest. Should have buried his chance but showed some promise with Vydra.

Wiemann - 4 - a lot of effort but very little quality.

Vydra - 7 - A genuine bright spark and looked very lively. Lovely pass to set up Martin. Probably should be given a chance next week.

Nugent  - A reckless challenge should have seen a booking and should have scored but didn't really have chance to influence 

Bryson - not enough time to influence  

Rowett - 3 - Shocking tactics from the get go. We had an extra man in midfield, should have been looking to control the game and make them chase it particularly after we scored. Instead we negated our numerical advantage in midfield by lumping it forward at every possible opportunity, playing straight into Sunderlands hands. Very little point playing a 433 with those tactics and very little point playing Martin or Butterfield with those tactics. If the plan was to hoof into channels we should have started with two up front to at least give us an attacking presence. Should have changed something at half time either tactics or personally. Will give him some credit for the vydra substitution but should have been braver and brought on Bennett for Johnson. Bryson sub was negative time wasting. I guess though he set up for a point and got it so there's that.

A bit harsh there I feel, wisdom and Forsyth were sloppy defensively at times but not as poor as some at least Forsyth was trying to get the ball to Martin. Vydra didn't really merit a Seven but I do want to see him next to Martin because they certainly appeared to understand each other.

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

We lack quality, out wide and in the middle of the park. 

Nothing learned tonight that we didn't already know from pre-season. Well, other than Sunderland are definitely not going to be in any kind of promotion race this season.  

Bookmarked.

2 minutes ago, Norman said:

I'm guessing its just the loud minority spouting off?

We got 7 wins and 5 draws away from home last season. Let that sink in. That's why we werent in the playoffs. 

We scored 21 away goals. 

If you don't think last night was an improvement in most of the away performances last season, then I give up.

It reminded me of Leeds away last year. Pressure, crosses, corners, an by the time they tired we were 2-0 down and out the game.

This thread, for the most part, demonstrates that Hysteria is not just a great album by Def Leppard.

Well done for being a small island of sanity amongst the chaos.

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

A bit harsh there I feel, wisdom and Forsyth were sloppy defensively at times but not as poor as some at least Forsyth was trying to get the ball to Martin. Vydra didn't really merit a Seven but I do want to see him next to Martin because they certainly appeared to understand each other.

It might be but I thought both Wisdom and Forsyth were major factors in our inability to transition from defence to attack. Now you could argue they were under instruction to get the ball forwards early into the channels and perhaps they should be given the benefit of doubt due to the issues being mostly tactical. I gave Vydra a 7 because  when he came he looked like we might actually get something going that wasn't just an aimless lump into the box. Your right that Forsyth was looking to get into Martin but the problem was he was trying to force it when the ball wasn't on and all that ended up happening was gifting possesion,

The moment I saw that Sunderland were playing 442 I thought we are going to beat them  because with 3 in middle we would always have a spare player but instead of utilising that I thought we went from back to front as quick as possible ....

dare I say it but if we had a Hughes type player who can pass and an energetic player we would've won that game but only if hudds mixed it up a bit and played through the midfield sometimes ...with a spare player that would've been problematic to Sunderland but instead we hit too many long balls and sometimes very inaccurately ?

I understand transition but surely you adapt to what and who you are playing ...442 should've played into our hands but it wasn't until Vydra came on that we had any resemblance of a team controlling the game ...

i like GR but just hope that we are going to play football ...I think Nigel Clough got us playing some great football and Stevie Mac coached and tweaked Cloughs team with a few additions to be a very good football side...I personally do not want to watch hoofball which I hope is not going to happen ....Russell,Butterfield,Weimann not good enough for where we want to go in this league for me 

On 31/07/2017 at 14:03, Tombo said:

1-1. Sunderland early goal. You'll still be getting a beer while it's happening so you'll miss it. Your mate says it was Keoghs fault. You wait for the replay before passing judgement. The replay shows nothing of the sort.

Derby equalise on the half hour mark and then the game dies a death. All in all we decide 1-1 is okay for a season opener where we're still finding our fitness. 

Well I wasn't far off...

6 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Cannot understand for the life of me why Butterfeet gets the nod over Bryson. 

ef if we are going to play like last night and play long balls he needs to play bryso before butterfield , i actually felt sorry for him at the penalty as he just lost his footing but overall how he played 90 minutes beggars belief 

Draw was a fair result. Penalty was harsh but we were saved by the post. Martin and Nugent should've made more of their chances that will come with game time. Not sure why we set up 433 if we weren't going to pass the ball, pointless formation for the tactics used. Hopefully GR manages to get a formation with Vydra, Nugent and Martin together, disapointed pre season wasn't used for this. Can't see Sunderland doing much but Grabban will be one to watch this season.

People need to calm down here we were not great and Gary himself said it was only a 4 out of ten performance but last year we would have lost and it was only game one and a away point is always good.

Going to say something I rarely do and that is Keogh was excellent last night looked like he had been told to actually concentrate on defending and stop charging through midfield.Just the first game so always hard to tell what will happen remember Newcastle were awful first up last year at Fulham and they did ok.

So take a breath let the manager get on with things he will not get his tactics and line up right everytime the main thing is he recognises that and we stay in the game till he can makes changes in either or both.

8 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

They're not in the premier league.

Cattermole is easily one of the best midfielders in the division. McGeady was one of the best wingers in this division last season. Kone has the ability to be a top defender. They're whole squad is pretty good for CHAMPIONSHIP level football. 

Personally think people have got to excited writing them off due to the odd paper story and a crap pre season. They've got a good squad and manager for this level.

Cattermole doesn't come close to being a top midfielder in this league, imo, I think he's bang average, which is why he didn't get much Premier League football. The Sunderland fans have all been berating Kone for not being good enough, and McGeady has to adapt to a new club, so no guarantees he'll be at the same level. Has Grayson ever done anything in the Championship of merit? 

Having finally watched the game,ive got to say,in contrast to the wrist slashing on here,we didn't look that bad....quite a few chances to have snatched the game and some positives to take away....Russell looked very lively and great to see him taking on his man,Carson superb, huddlestones long passes were fantastic and wisdom looked strong.

I didn't like to see Curtis looking less than sharp and giving the ball away too easily but like most in the team,he will get sharper as the season progresses.

Martin laid off some great balls and if the ball passed to him by Russell has been a few inches in front of him he would have smashed it home in sure.

Nugent again was unlucky with his effort and vydra will hopefully be slotting into the formation behind Martin soon,he looked good.

Definitely prefer bryson on for Butterfield,we missed his energy.

This is a work in progress guys,let's be a little patient.

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

Draw was a fair result. Penalty was harsh but we were saved by the post. Martin and Nugent should've made more of their chances that will come with game time. Not sure why we set up 433 if we weren't going to pass the ball, pointless formation for the tactics used. Hopefully GR manages to get a formation with Vydra, Nugent and Martin together, disapointed pre season wasn't used for this. Can't see Sunderland doing much but Grabban will be one to watch this season.

Vydra, Nugent and Martin as the new Willems, Sturridge and Gabbiadini. 

If we don't have the quality out wide then could do worse than try that 3 pronged attack again.   

Stick them in against Grimsby and give them some game time together.

Archived