v Northampton Town Match Thread

Day

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping tonight was Gary's way of giving Mel a nudge, and proving we simply don't have the strength in depth you might assume, after all our spending. 

The solution is obvious, spend even more!

Appreciate its a friendly,players still finding fitness levels ect, ect and GR trying to get a full extent of his squad and how they can play together,but disappointed that we couldn't score tonight and continued a winning streak building confidence and morale going into the start of the season.

Obviously along way from the line up on the opening day,but hope we can bring in a few quality players ,thinking lawrence at the right price may give us more options.

13 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Last chance saloon for a lot of players tonight and they didn't make the most of it. Other than Davies and Butters, non of the others have a hope in hell of starting at Sunderland. Bennett will make the bench though.

My team for The Hoff.

Carson

Wisdom       Keogh    Davies    Fozzy

Hudds

Butters         Johnson

Russell                                 Wiemann

Martin

I'd agree with this other than Bennett for Russell, if he is fit. Bennett was struggling after he was mugged but still managed to create more than anyone else. Weimann played very well on Saturday and didn’t really have time tonight to play himself into the game so deserves that other spot. Russell had longer and disappointed me a bit.

Not sure why the criticism of Butterfield as he was the one driving the forward play and trying to make things happen.  He was playing with two very ineffective midfielders tonight (until Huddlestone came on, of course.)

I thought Pearce played ok at right side of defence but I hope we see Keogh back in there with Davies on Saturday. 

813 of us at Sixfields tonight, not bad for a midweek friendly. I managed to thank Mel in person tonight for putting on the extra buses! 

1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

So what has Rowett learned from this evening that some of the players he suspected weren't good enough actually aren't good enough?

I think the biggest lesson learned is that we will really struggle against anyone if we play the 4-3-3 formation without Huddlestone or Thorne in the holding role. Nugent had very little support from the centre mids tonight whereas at the weekend both Johnson and Butterfield were always close to Martin and both had chances to score. Tonight I think I remember a couple of Butterfield shots from 30+ yards out that were never going to go in. Whenever we won the ball in defence or midfield, Hanson, Butterfield and Bryson were literally a few yards apart and so Northampton found it easy to close us down and intercept the pass. With Huddlestone playing really deep, the 2 in front have much more time to find space and Huddlestone also has plenty of time on the ball to pick a pass. 

22 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

This look good too. 

Swap Baird for Wisdom and Bryson for Butterfield and that's my starting XI.

I think Wisdom hasn't settled down yet to a different pace of game from playing in Austria and needs a bit more time; Baird is better and calmer and can pick a better pass at the mo. I also think Bryson will be picked out by Huddlestone via his forward runs who in turn will pick Martin out. The Huddlestone - Bryson-Martin combo and the Huddlstone-Russell-Martin combo are 2 skeins of gold waiting to be discovered by GR. Just hope GR sees these as well. 

To be fair we only spent £13 mil on the starting eleven. It's not like we should have beaten a league 1 side!!

how many hospital balls did we play tonight? 

I can see why rowett wants James and Lawrence, seriously need another CM that either doesn't run round like a headless chicken or slow the play up and never do anything worthwhile with the ball. I'm not even gonna discuss Hanson.

baird was poor first half but was much better second half as was most of the defence but still silly errors and I find it sad that Olson is potentially holding back the development of McDonald and Lowe, as is Hanson with Elsnick.

i don't like to be negative but let's not kid ourselves and make out its anything to do with fitness as it's the same for the other team so what's their excuse? 

oh well, won't need to worry about this when we get promoted

I try not to read too much into pre season games for anything much beyond building fitness levels.

That said, based on what I've seen of the  current players over last two or three years and so far in pre season, I think when we get our best defenders on the pitch (for me, Forsyth, Davies, Keogh, Wisdom) and get either or both of Huddlestone and Thorne in front of them we will be difficult to break down. As others have mentioned, however, having sold Hughes and Ince, we look like we lack inventiveness and cutting edge further up the pitch. We are decent but not great.  

Unless we bring in two quality wide men and a creative player in the middle of the park I can't see us finishing any higher than last season. Would obviously love to be proved wrong though! 

30 minutes ago, eddie said:

I'd replace Russell or Weimann with Bennett, who I thought was outstanding.

He was and tbh he should be given a chance and start in front of russell, but I think GR really likes russell and will go with him.

41 minutes ago, McLovin said:

To be honest, the right wing spot is the position I'm more worried about! Weimann seems to be forming a nice partnership down that left hand side with Forsyth and has a good understanding with Martin. I would have thought that Russell going back to right wing would have turned him into a better player but seems to be same old with him.

No,I still like russell in the right wing....able to cut in and through the lines unlike Bennett who is welded to the line and is currently too inexperienced....send him out on loan to a half decent side and bring him back for next season.

Russell back with Martin is a good partnership and I'd like to see that relationship be fine tuned again over a number of games...we will see the confidence return then in my opinion.

I thought weimann did very well at the weekend and I suspect he might actually be good enough in this division to settle into the left wing role with his different style to Russell.....swapping wings through the game to disrupt the opposition.

Archived